A PLD Buyout coming?????

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

Pierre-Luc Dubois is now looking like a complete bust, and there are strong rumors that the Kings are considering buying out Dubois—with 7 years left at $8.5M AAV on his deal.

The biggest question is whether they should—or are able to—buy him out before June 24, which is when he turns 26, and the cost for the buyout doubles (from one-third value to two-thirds value of the total contract).

However, a big fly in the ointment for the Kings is that buyouts cannot start until 48 hours after the Stanley Cup Final is done. And the latest date of a potential Game 7 of the Finals this year? Yup, June 24th. Dubois' 26th birthday. So if this is the route they want to go, the Kings are handcuffed and at the mercy of how long the Finals go.

Dubois scored a total of 17 goals this season for the Kings with just 40 points, playing in all 82 games. Those are his lowest numbers for anything close to a full season in his seven-year career. He found himself being demoted to the 4th line. In their first-round loss to the Edmonton Oilers, he didn't even record a shot on goal in the final three games of the series.

Pop Zeus

This guy was lights out in his first few playoff runs.
He had size, hands, skating and strength.
Should have been a stud.
Machine

Saw somewhere Blake is not buying him out
Blake’s probably going down with that deal
Zattaman

Machine wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:07 pm Saw somewhere Blake is not buying him out
I mean either way he's fucked.

8.5M over the next 7 years.

Or a cap hit between 1.1M-3.8M over the next 14 years.

I'd also keep him for now. It's not like he's Abdelkader. Talent is obviously there. They just have to figure out what makes him tick.
dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:59 pm
Machine wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:07 pm Saw somewhere Blake is not buying him out

I'd also keep him for now. It's not like he's Abdelkader. Talent is obviously there. They just have to figure out what makes him tick.
No GM is going to buy out a player and be stuck with 14 years of dead cap space. Possible they could move him without retaining salary if they take a bad contract back. I mean Montreal could send them Josh Anderson and have L.A retain a bit of money.

PLD doesn't sound like an Yzerman type player but if L.A retained 2 mil or something and they took Copp back, i think i would make that deal in a heartbeat.
Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 2:57 pm

No GM is going to buy out a player and be stuck with 14 years of dead cap space. Possible they could move him without retaining salary if they take a bad contract back. I mean Montreal could send them Josh Anderson and have L.A retain a bit of money.

PLD doesn't sound like an Yzerman type player but if L.A retained 2 mil or something and they took Copp back, i think i would make that deal in a heartbeat.
I doubt Steve Yzerman does that in a million years.
Copp is playing a Glendening role kind of role despite not even really being suited for it.

Copp
1000 minutes 43.8 CF 47.9 GF%
383 dzone faceoffs to 274 Ozone faceoffs.
10-15-25 at 5 on 5

Glendening 41.2 CF%
737 minutes 41.2 CF% 40 GF%
342 Dzone faceoffs. 165 ozone faceoffs
8-1-9 at 5 on 5

Clearly, Copp benefitted from 90 more Ozone draws vs only 40 more Dzone draws.
But 10-15-25 with those numbers isn't.

Since copp has what? 2-3 years left? There's no chance I view that as a good tradeoff, even with the potential for some true powerforward upside.
It seems like letting LA off the hook. Montreal is the only team that I can see having any reason to risk it. And even then, it seems like Montreal is smartening up.

I guess I don;t see what's left of Copp being bad enough to take on a potential cancer.
dcz28

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 pm

Copp is playing a Glendening role kind of role despite not even really being suited for it.

Copp
10-15-25 at 5 on 5

Glendening 41.2 CF%
8-1-9 at 5 on 5

Since copp has what? 2-3 years left? There's no chance I view that as a good tradeoff, even with the potential for some true powerforward upside.
It seems like letting LA off the hook. Montreal is the only team that I can see having any reason to risk it. And even then, it seems like Montreal is smartening up.

I guess I don;t see what's left of Copp being bad enough to take on a potential cancer.
You don't pay almost 6 mil a year for a Glendening. He's a waste of money for what he is being used as. I don't think Yzerman would make that trade but i would rather be paying 6 mil for a guy that can get you 20+ goals and maybe 60 points than a guy playing a Glendening role...plus he's 5 years younger and bigger. At least PLD could likely jump into the top 6 at center if Larkin gets injured while we know Copp can't produce in that spot.

Doesn't really matter though because Yzerman won't do it and i kind of understand with PLD being a headcase. That being said, i'm pretty sure there would be some teams that would bite if L.A retains some money. I wonder if the Ullmark trade that Ullmark rejected had PLD going the other way to Boston.

Wings are wasting 9 million of cap space on Copp and Holl when they could have players doing the same for a small fraction of the price and put that money to better use.
holytoledo

Copp, Chiarot & Holl for PLD and a pick.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 11:29 pm Copp, Chiarot & Holl for PLD and a pick.
LA's gonna do that why?
Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:56 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 4:07 pm

Copp
10-15-25 at 5 on 5

Glendening 41.2 CF%
8-1-9 at 5 on 5

You don't pay almost 6 mil a year for a Glendening. He's a waste of money for what he is being used as. I don't think Yzerman would make that trade but i would rather be paying 6 mil for a guy that can get you 20+ goals and maybe 60 points than a guy playing a Glendening role...plus he's 5 years younger and bigger. At least PLD could likely jump into the top 6 at center if Larkin gets injured while we know Copp can't produce in that spot.

Doesn't really matter though because Yzerman won't do it and i kind of understand with PLD being a headcase. That being said, i'm pretty sure there would be some teams that would bite if L.A retains some money. I wonder if the Ullmark trade that Ullmark rejected had PLD going the other way to Boston.

Wings are wasting 9 million of cap space on Copp and Holl when they could have players doing the same for a small fraction of the price and put that money to better use.
Glendening doesn't get you 25 5 on 5 points.

We're paying $5.6M for a center who can be your 2-3 C, or who can take all the hard minutes and defensive matchup minutes.

The year before? Copp played more normal minutes
Larkin: 9-23-32 -13 at 5 on 5
Copp: 5-21-26 even at 5 on 5.
-
So $5,6M? Not that big a deal as far as I can tell.

Copp scored one fewer point at 5 on 5.
He went from 5-21-26 to 10-15-25 despite much harder minutes.
It freed Larkin and the others up for easier matchups.

Copp's overpaid maybe a million
By the end of his deal, he'd gonna get be over paid maybe $2M.

He's got 3 years left.
He's more than $3M cheaper than a guy with 7 years left.

At this point, what's the attraction to Dubois?
Why taint a rebuilding team?