Red Wings Claim Gemel Smith - Givani's Brother

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:35 pm Maybe Veleno is sent down.
Veleno looks pretty decent when he bears down.
But sometimes his game lacks direction.
Maybe they should give Zadina a couple of games in GR to get his scoring confidence up once someone comes off IR.

Slapper

Zattaman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:59 pm
Slapper wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm
Zattaman wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 3:46 pm Givani would have to clear waivers, so he's not getting sent down.

This is a depth move. Gemel will be sent to GR. Or, do they still do that COVID purgatory thing? Put him there instead of Rowney.
If you claim someone off waivers don’t they have have to be with the big club for at least 30 days?
You may be right. I could have sworn that I remember an instance of a player being picked up by one team, then waived shortly after, and picked up by another team. ... didn't that happen to us and some minor league goalie?
I think the rule is that a waiver claim must be rostered on the big club for 30 days. If you try to option them to the A, they go back on the waiver wire first. Because when cholowski was claimed by Washington from the kraken I said no way he lasts 30 days with the Caps. No clue what ever happened to him.

Anyone remember the goalie that the wings claimed from like Edmonton then waived, was picked up by Arizona, then they tried sending him to their AHL team and Edmonton took him back? That might not be the exact path but I vaguely remember it happening.
dcz28

Slapper wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:34 pm
Slapper wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 4:27 pm

If you claim someone off waivers don’t they have have to be with the big club for at least 30 days?
You may be right. I could have sworn that I remember an instance of a player being picked up by one team, then waived shortly after, and picked up by another team. ... didn't that happen to us and some minor league goalie?
I think the rule is that a waiver claim must be rostered on the big club for 30 days. If you try to option them to the A, they go back on the waiver wire first. Because when cholowski was claimed by Washington from the kraken I said no way he lasts 30 days with the Caps. No clue what ever happened to him.

Anyone remember the goalie that the wings claimed from like Edmonton then waived, was picked up by Arizona, then they tried sending him to their AHL team and Edmonton took him back? That might not be the exact path but I vaguely remember it happening.
The goalie was Eric Comrie and it was the Jets not the Oilers. Jets waived him Arizona picked him up, Arizona traded him to the Wings for Vili Saarijärvi. Wings eventually waived Comrie and Jets picked him back up...he is still part of the Jets and played 7 games for them this season after playing 1 game with the Devils last season.

Cholowski is still with the Caps. He has played 6 games for them (1 assist and a -3).
Slapper

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 pm

The goalie was Eric Comrie and it was the Jets not the Oilers. Jets waived him Arizona picked him up, Arizona traded him to the Wings for Vili Saarijärvi. Wings eventually waived Comrie and Jets picked him back up...he is still part of the Jets and played 7 games for them this season after playing 1 game with the Devils last season.

Cholowski is still with the Caps. He has played 6 games for them (1 assist and a -3).
Thank you
dcz28

Slapper wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:31 pm
dcz28 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:24 pm

Thank you
No problem. Vili Saarijärvi is back in Finland so the Wings didn't lose anything in that trade either. Cholowski doesn't seem to be able to grab a regular spot in the NHL so far so i guess it wasn't just the Wings.
DocBrown

An ugly number for sure.....

">
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
dcz28

DocBrown wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:06 pm An ugly number for sure.....

">
That should have been Mike Commodore's number with the Wings...probably why he pissed Babcock off :lol: