2022 NHL Entry Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

I went throught the HP guide and transcribed players ratings (hockey sense, compete, skill,skating, misc)

Pop Zeus

docs(dot)google.com/spreadsheets/d/14U9VIu7Kn900ZWgQyePw3XvBIS_JMqLUKKap8evR_eg/edit#gid=0
DocBrown

Pre draft Y presser about to start on Wings YouTube channel.

The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
Fil Zaronek

2 more sleeps
wyrrlen

Pop, I noticed you sorted the list on skating for the players listed (and by the way, THANK YOU for doing that). Something I have been wondering for a while is how the team prioritizes hockey sense vs skills vs skating ability. Based on the players I've seen drafted in the Yzerman era, I generally think they seem to pick Skill slightly over Sense but way over skating. What's your read on this? Obviously it would be nice to get a high combo of all three, but it's pretty clear from the list that you're only seeing that in a dozen players or so. Which matches up well to only getting a skill player in the front half of the first round.
Resmo112

wyrrlen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:44 am Pop, I noticed you sorted the list on skating for the players listed (and by the way, THANK YOU for doing that). Something I have been wondering for a while is how the team prioritizes hockey sense vs skills vs skating ability. Based on the players I've seen drafted in the Yzerman era, I generally think they seem to pick Skill slightly over Sense but way over skating. What's your read on this? Obviously it would be nice to get a high combo of all three, but it's pretty clear from the list that you're only seeing that in a dozen players or so. Which matches up well to only getting a skill player in the front half of the first round.
What do they consider MISC traits
hiramnicak

Resmo112 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:58 am
wyrrlen wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:44 am Pop, I noticed you sorted the list on skating for the players listed (and by the way, THANK YOU for doing that). Something I have been wondering for a while is how the team prioritizes hockey sense vs skills vs skating ability. Based on the players I've seen drafted in the Yzerman era, I generally think they seem to pick Skill slightly over Sense but way over skating. What's your read on this? Obviously it would be nice to get a high combo of all three, but it's pretty clear from the list that you're only seeing that in a dozen players or so. Which matches up well to only getting a skill player in the front half of the first round.
What do they consider MISC traits
3-9 HOCKEY SENSE: decision making, anticipation, playmaking/vision, deception, processing speed, creativity, spatial awareness, tempo
3-9 COMPETE: work ethic, attack the net, consistency, first on pucks, backcheck, shot blocking, playing inside, toughness
3-9 SKILL: shot power, shot release, shot accuracy, puck protection, passing, stickhandling, scoring ability
3-9 SKATING: quickness, speed, balance, mobility, mechanics, backwards
3-9 MISCELLANEOUS: height, weight, strength, endurance, athleticism
3-9 SKILL DEFENSEMAN SPECIFIC: puck retrieval, gap control, quarterbacking (powerplay), defending, first pass
3-9 SKILL GOALIE SPECIFIC: angles & positioning, net presence, poise/confidence/big-in-net, lateral movement, recovery, rebound control, glove, mental toughness, playing the puck, overall quickness
wyrrlen

The MISC stat is what makes me worry that Maveric Lamoureux will be the Tony Mandarich of the NHL. He had a high perform on all of the skill tests and is a beast in size, but he's generally been nothing special in scouting reports through the year. I haven't seen him play, but he makes me nervous.
dcz28

Elite Prospects breakdown of Frank Nazar. This video almost makes me want to see the Wings pick him now. I know it's highlights but he looks like a cross between Brayden Point and Datsyuk at times.

puckstopper92

dcz28 wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 10:16 pm Elite Prospects breakdown of Frank Nazar. This video almost makes me want to see the Wings pick him now. I know it's highlights but he looks like a cross between Brayden Point and Datsyuk at times.
I'd be very happy with Nazar. He seemed to peak early in terms of draft interest, and as time went on people now seem to have trended toward guys like Gauthier and Kasper. I don't think that's due to any fault of Nazar, but more the desire of people to find something new and try to be the smartest person in the room. To me, Nazar is a top 12 pick, and picking him at 8 would be exciting. He would instantly become the most exciting offensive prospect in the system.