2022 NHL Entry Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
hiramnicak

Murmansk16A wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:20 am FC Hockey's Mock Draft Builder is up. It has Detroit picking 11th overall. I ran the first round and took Conor Geekie, who seems to me the best Center left. Wright, Lambert, Cooley, Savoie, Nazar (them call him a RW), and McGroarty were all gone in the top 10. I thought about taking Marco Kasper, but went with Geekie's size. No idea which one of them (Geekie/Kasper) will be better in the long run.

https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/
thanks for sharing this. i had Geekie and Jiricek available at 11... hard to pass on Jiricek for me, even if our prospect backend is stacked.

011: Jiricek, D
043: Nyman, LW
053: Duda, D
075: Neuchev, LW
107: Warren, D
125: Vidicek, C
128: Brennan, G
139: Rogovsky, C
203: Ronni, C

in retrospect, maybe Geekie is the better choice as an organization. Jiricek has top pairing potential for me, and i don't see Geekie as a top line center, so it's a tough sell from a value perspective. do i pass on a 1D for a 2C knowing that Edvinsson and Seider are locked up? maybe... or maybe i'm wrong about Geekie, and he's the next Leon Draisaitl. Mark Edwards said in December that at least one team had Geekie in the number one spot.

heck, if Hakan Andersson likes Lekkerimaki or Ohgren, i might take one of them eleventh cause they've really impressed me in the handful of times i've seen them. i think they've both got the tools to play center. here's my more chaotic board with a heavier focus on centers:

011: Lekkerimaki, C
043: Pickering, D
053: Hughes, C
075: Kaplan, RW
203: Arnsby, C

holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:11 am
Murmansk16A wrote: Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:20 am FC Hockey's Mock Draft Builder is up. It has Detroit picking 11th overall. I ran the first round and took Conor Geekie, who seems to me the best Center left. Wright, Lambert, Cooley, Savoie, Nazar (them call him a RW), and McGroarty were all gone in the top 10. I thought about taking Marco Kasper, but went with Geekie's size. No idea which one of them (Geekie/Kasper) will be better in the long run.

https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/
thanks for sharing this. i had Geekie and Jiricek available at 11... hard to pass on Jiricek for me, even if our prospect backend is stacked.

011: Jiricek, D
043: Nyman, LW
053: Duda, D
075: Neuchev, LW
203: Ronni, C

in retrospect, maybe Geekie is the better choice as an organization. Jiricek has top pairing potential for me, and i don't see Geekie as a top line center, so it's a tough sell from a value perspective. do i pass on a 1D for a 2C knowing that Edvinsson and Seider are locked up? maybe... or maybe i'm wrong about Geekie, and he's the next Leon Draisaitl. Mark Edwards said in December that at least one team had Geekie in the number one spot.

heck, if Hakan Andersson likes Lekkerimaki or Ohgren, i might take one of them eleventh cause they've really impressed me in the handful of times i've seen them. i think they've both got the tools to play center. here's my more chaotic board with a heavier focus on centers:

011: Lekkerimaki, C
043: Pickering, D
053: Hughes, C
075: Kaplan, RW
203: Arnsby, C
I’ll have your head if you take another D in the first round this year and I’ll have your mothers head as well if you use our first two picks on D.

Tankathon’s board has Lambert falling to us at 11.
wyrrlen

I don't see Geekie looking like Draisaitl at all. I'm really worried the guy is a first round pick that we take who tops out at a 3rd line or 4th line center at best. I asked this earlier upthread... is there a particular game or shift that stands out for Geekie this year? From what I can see, his draft position is based more on his height/weight and position than on his play for his team.
holytoledo

wyrrlen wrote: Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:36 am I don't see Geekie looking like Draisaitl at all. I'm really worried the guy is a first round pick that we take who tops out at a 3rd line or 4th line center at best. I asked this earlier upthread... is there a particular game or shift that stands out for Geekie this year? From what I can see, his draft position is based more on his height/weight and position than on his play for his team.
The only thing I really wonder about Geekie is how he looks dressed like Tinky Winky.
hiramnicak

I just realized that if Columbus' pick lotteries up, they might be able to walk out of the draft with both Nemec and Jiricek, which would be kind of hilarious. Can you imagine:

Werenski - Nemec
Jiricek - Ceulemans
Svozil - Boqvist
Gavrikov/Bean
holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm I just realized that if Columbus' pick lotteries up, they might be able to walk out of the draft with both Nemec and Jiricek, which would be kind of hilarious. Can you imagine:

Werenski - Nemec
Jiricek - Ceulemans
Svozil - Boqvist
Gavrikov/Bean
Why are you so high on Jiricek? Is it just because he’s a big defenseman and you know Stevie will pick him if available?
hiramnicak

holytoledo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 7:27 pm
hiramnicak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 5:38 pm I just realized that if Columbus' pick lotteries up, they might be able to walk out of the draft with both Nemec and Jiricek, which would be kind of hilarious. Can you imagine:

Werenski - Nemec
Jiricek - Ceulemans
Svozil - Boqvist
Gavrikov/Bean
Why are you so high on Jiricek? Is it just because he’s a big defenseman and you know Stevie will pick him if available?
Do you not like Jiricek? I’ve got two defensemen in my top ten right now. I expect Nemec will be long gone by our pick, but Jiricek might be there. I have no clue who Yzerman’s high on, but a top four that includes Seider, Edvinsson, and one of Nemec or Jiricek is pretty enticing to me. I like quite a few of the forwards as well though.
holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 8:08 pm

Werenski - Nemec
Jiricek - Ceulemans
Svozil - Boqvist
Gavrikov/Bean
Do you not like Jiricek? I’ve got two defensemen in my top ten right now. I expect Nemec will be long gone by our pick, but Jiricek might be there. I have no clue who Yzerman’s high on, but a top four that includes Seider, Edvinsson, and one of Nemec or Jiricek is pretty enticing to me. I like quite a few of the forwards as well though.
We’ve had 11 first and second round picks in the last 3 drafts and have taken 6 D and a goalie. We took Raymond at 4 and then the next highest pick we’ve used on a forward was Neiderbach at 51. Having Zadina, Suter & Fabbri in your mix of top 6 forwards is a pretty big stretch for a contender. After Berggren the forward cupboard is pretty bare. If we’re going to start building the roster with impactful players by some other means than the draft, fine, but if not, need has to be taken into account. We’ve got 3 top 4 caliber D at least and Wallinder, Johansson, McIsaac & Vero provide more prospect depth than we have at forward. We do not have a legit 2C on the roster or a prospect anywhere in the org that projects as one. We look like we’re on a path to being a wildcard team while we ride Larkin & Bert through their primes and then unless we get really lucky to hit on picks in the 16-20 range we’ll fallback and repeat this process. I’m not down for that. The Yzerplan looks like an effort to reach mediocrity and stay there. We’ll start another playoff streak but we don’t look like we’re on a path to ever see our way past the second round.
hiramnicak

holytoledo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:04 pm

We’ve had 11 first and second round picks in the last 3 drafts and have taken 6 D and a goalie. We took Raymond at 4 and then the next highest pick we’ve used on a forward was Neiderbach at 51. Having Zadina, Suter & Fabbri in your mix of top 6 forwards is a pretty big stretch for a contender. After Berggren the forward cupboard is pretty bare. If we’re going to start building the roster with impactful players by some other means than the draft, fine, but if not, need has to be taken into account. We’ve got 3 top 4 caliber D at least and Wallinder, Johansson, McIsaac & Vero provide more prospect depth than we have at forward. We do not have a legit 2C on the roster or a prospect anywhere in the org that projects as one. We look like we’re on a path to being a wildcard team while we ride Larkin & Bert through their primes and then unless we get really lucky to hit on picks in the 16-20 range we’ll fallback and repeat this process. I’m not down for that. The Yzerplan looks like an effort to reach mediocrity and stay there. We’ll start another playoff streak but we don’t look like we’re on a path to ever see our way past the second round.
I’d rather draft the top guy on my board and trade pieces as necessary, but that’s just me. I think Yzerman’s doing just fine, really. We have tons of cap space and buckets of prospects. When it’s time to make a move, I think we sign a couple big pieces in the off-season and package a couple younglings for whatever we’re missing after that. When it’s time, maybe we package Jiricek, Wallinder and a first for that final piece of the puzzle, but I’d much rather draft the guy we think has the “it” factor than draft a center just because we feel pressured into it. But this is a pretty fundamental philosophy we disagree on, so I don’t expect either of us are going to give up ground here.

I look at a team like Edmonton, and they’ve got all of that firepower down the center in McDrai-RNH, but their goaltending and defense are abysmal. Is Holland serious about building a contender before McDrai want out? Would Hronek+Tuomisto loosen up Holloway? Or what would it take to pry Knies from the Leafs? Surely, some teams in win now mode that are loaded up front would be interested in some stud defensemen prospects, especially if we’re willing to part with an establish NHLer in the deal.
holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:19 am
holytoledo wrote: Thu Feb 10, 2022 11:04 pm

I’d rather draft the top guy on my board and trade pieces as necessary, but that’s just me. I think Yzerman’s doing just fine, really. We have tons of cap space and buckets of prospects. When it’s time to make a move, I think we sign a couple big pieces in the off-season and package a couple younglings for whatever we’re missing after that. When it’s time, maybe we package Jiricek, Wallinder and a first for that final piece of the puzzle, but I’d much rather draft the guy we think has the “it” factor than draft a center just because we feel pressured into it. But this is a pretty fundamental philosophy we disagree on, so I don’t expect either of us are going to give up ground here.

I look at a team like Edmonton, and they’ve got all of that firepower down the center in McDrai-RNH, but their goaltending and defense are abysmal. Is Holland serious about building a contender before McDrai want out? Would Hronek+Tuomisto loosen up Holloway? Or what would it take to pry Knies from the Leafs? Surely, some teams in win now mode that are loaded up front would be interested in some stud defensemen prospects, especially if we’re willing to part with an establish NHLer in the deal.
For the most part I am a firm believer in BPA. With Seider, Raymond & Edvinsson I think we nailed it. If Jiricek is BPA where we pick I’d largely be good with that. I take more exception to the lower picks. The further you move down in the draft the more tightly the players are bunched together and it’s more guess work. I think that we need to be taking more swings at need their instead of just stockpiling d-men.

I take even greater exception with pissing away these swings on deals like the Leddy deal.