Seider not Playing in the WJC

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

jaster

Is anyone mad about this? Other than probably the Germans lol?
Pop Zeus

I don't see much advantage to having kids who've played pro for 2-3 months or more going back to play in a junior tournament.
So I think this is a good thing.
hiramnicak

jaster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm Is anyone mad about this? Other than probably the Germans lol?
All-in-all, I think the SHL is a better place for development than the WJC, but it's a pity we won't really see what Germany's made of. They have a decent shot at winning a game or two with Seider in the lineup, but without him, they're a bit thin.
jaster

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm I don't see much advantage to having kids who've played pro for 2-3 months or more going back to play in a junior tournament.
In general I agree, though I think there are exceptions. I don't believe Seider is one of them. No need for him to go back to that level.
holytoledo

I am guessing that at least part of the reason is COVID.
jaster

According to MLive, it was Seider's decision.
Moritz Seider, the Detroit Red Wings' top pick in the 2019 draft, has decided not to play in this year’s World Junior Championship.

Seider, 19, was Germany’s captain at last year’s event, when he tallied six assists in seven games. This year’s WJC will be in Edmonton from Dec. 26 to Jan. 5.

Red Wings assistant general manager Ryan Martin said the club supports Seider’s decision.

“We left it up to the player,” Martin said. “He has made the decision that he would like to continue playing with Rogle (in the Swedish Hockey League) as opposed to the World Juniors. We would have been supportive of whatever he wanted to do.”

Seider weighed several factors, including the travel, having to spend time in a bubble and having to miss several games in Sweden.
https://www.mlive.com/redwings/2020/11/ ... niors.html
Wizard of Corsica

hiramnicak wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm
jaster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:14 pm Is anyone mad about this? Other than probably the Germans lol?
All-in-all, I think the SHL is a better place for development than the WJC, but it's a pity we won't really see what Germany's made of. They have a decent shot at winning a game or two with Seider in the lineup, but without him, they're a bit thin.
I would love to see him go there and clean up, but really only bad things could come from him playing. It seemed like he was on the ice 40 minutes a game in last year's tournament, I imagine it would be the same this year. The odds of him getting hurt, or literally killing a child with an open ice hit seem fairly high.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Fil Zaronek

jaster wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:00 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:31 pm I don't see much advantage to having kids who've played pro for 2-3 months or more going back to play in a junior tournament.
In general I agree, though I think there are exceptions. I don't believe Seider is one of them. No need for him to go back to that level.
I think it is a great experience for them. High-stakes, playing with and against the best in your peer group. I think even that it is a break in the routine playing with different players and different coaches learning different things from them is beneficial for their development
From a management perspective it is a no-brainer to make the kids happy and let them play. It is very important for most of them and something they will cherish for the rest of their lives.
Fil Zaronek

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 9:50 am
hiramnicak wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 1:49 pm
I would love to see him go there and clean up, but really only bad things could come from him playing. It seemed like he was on the ice 40 minutes a game in last year's tournament, I imagine it would be the same this year. The odds of him getting hurt, or literally killing a child with an open ice hit seem fairly high.
He played about 25 mins a game last year and I think he is just as likely to get hurt playing 20 minutes a game against bigger, faster, stronger men.
I'm sure that unless he was in the Wings' roster, he would have wanted to go under normal circumstances. He probably would have went this year had we drafted Stuetzle. It's too bad for the Germans. They would have a real shot at winning a medal.