Bobby Ryan Interview

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:44 pm
jaster wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:17 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:59 am

Maybe Gagner. But I don't see Svech competing with Nielsen/Flip/Erne for jobs.
Well he definitely will not be competing with Bobby Ryan.
Yeah, pretty tough to compete with a guy who has scored 44 goals in 4 seasons with regular powerplay time.
When your resume says "2 career NHL goals", I'd say, yeah, it's pretty tough.

hiramnicak

Zattaman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm

Yeah, pretty tough to compete with a guy who has scored 44 goals in 4 seasons with regular powerplay time.
he needs to swap resumes with his brother. or do the old parent trap switch and trade names so the other svechnikov can play here under his brother's name. i bet the lundqvists have done it a few times.
Barbrady

Not bad for being drunk the whole time.
holytoledo

Barbrady wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:47 am I'd hope Bobby Ryan tears it up, and Svech beats out Frans Nielsen, Valterri Filppula, Adam Erne, or Sam Gagner for a job and have one of those guys pressboxed and Svech score 20 goals.

Why not? Namestikov and Fabbri both seem to be ahead of Flip & Nielsen on the depth chart at C. Erne’s a borderline useless player brought back on a one year deal at a pay cut. Svech is competing for a fourth line role right now. He’s got to beat out the garbage to earn a spot. He’s not even an established top 6 AHL player right now. He has to earn a spot, just because he was a first round pick and has been in the org a long time doesn’t mean he should be handed one.

I hope Svech makes the team, but if he does, the odds he does it by beating out Bobby Ryan are slim to none.
Pop Zeus

Zattaman wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:58 pm

One guy is 33 and declining fast.
The other guy just turned 24, is a first round pick hand has 20 games to his name.

So root like hell if you want for Bobby Ryan to bring back a 3rd round pick.

I'll root for the first rounder.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm
Barbrady wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:47 am I'd hope Bobby Ryan tears it up, and Svech beats out Frans Nielsen, Valterri Filppula, Adam Erne, or Sam Gagner for a job and have one of those guys pressboxed and Svech score 20 goals.

Why not? Namestikov and Fabbri both seem to be ahead of Flip & Nielsen on the depth chart at C. Erne’s a borderline useless player brought back on a one year deal at a pay cut. Svech is competing for a fourth line role right now. He’s got to beat out the garbage to earn a spot. He’s not even an established top 6 AHL player right now. He has to earn a spot, just because he was a first round pick and has been in the org a long time doesn’t mean he should be handed one.

I hope Svech makes the team, but if he does, the odds he does it by beating out Bobby Ryan are slim to none.
Because Erne is a fourth liner who will probably play the PK.
Sounds like Stevie/Blash plan to gift Ryan every opportunity.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 6:13 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:44 pm

Because Erne is a fourth liner who will probably play the PK.
Sounds like Stevie/Blash plan to gift Ryan every opportunity.
Svech is gonna have to make it as a 3rd-4th liner and would benefit from learning how to PK.

If you figure:
Mantha - Larkin - Bert
Zadina - Fabbri/Namestikov - Ryan

As our top 7 that leaves Helm, LFG, Erne, Gagner, Svech, Fil & Nielsen competing for 5 spots in the bottom 6. If Svech can’t earn a spot under those conditions, he sucks.

Obviously Helm and LFG are on the team, so really he’s competing with Fil, Gagner, Nielsen & Erne for 3 spots. If he’s not in the top 3 of those 5, then the AHL is where he belongs.
jaster

I’m not going to argue where Ryan belongs on the depth chart, I’m just going to say that you’re going to be sorely disappointed if you think a guy who is fighting for a roster spot is going to be in direct competition with a guy who will be fighting for a 2nd line role and otherwise will be on the 3rd line.
Pop Zeus

jaster wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:32 am

I’m not going to argue where Ryan belongs on the depth chart, I’m just going to say that you’re going to be sorely disappointed if you think a guy who is fighting for a roster spot is going to be in direct competition with a guy who will be fighting for a 2nd line role and otherwise will be on the 3rd line.

No shit. Which is why I was opposed to having Ryan and Gagner on this team.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 4:49 pm
jaster wrote: Sat Nov 14, 2020 12:32 am

No shit. Which is why I was opposed to having Ryan and Gagner on this team.
Right, but your delusional if you think Svech has done anything to warrant a sniff at the top 6.