MLIVE wants my money

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
EuroMan

Why is almost everything on MLive paid content now? What happened? And honestly, I wouldn't even mind paying but it's not very clear how to sign up and how much they're going to charge after the promotion is over. Anybody is paying them and if so, how much and is it really worth it?

CoconutBackwards

I don't pay money for any online news.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Barbrady

Back in the day, when newspapers delivered papers, you paid for that subscription. When advertising or a billionaire benefactor alone can't keep an online publisher afloat, or they just feel like generating more profit, they charge subscription fees. If you like their content and have the disposable income, pay for it. If you don't, then don't.
holytoledo

EuroMan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm Why is almost everything on MLive paid content now? What happened? And honestly, I wouldn't even mind paying but it's not very clear how to sign up and how much they're going to charge after the promotion is over. Anybody is paying them and if so, how much and is it really worth it?
Are you interested in anything Michigan other than the Wings? If not, and you’re gonna pay for a subscription, I’d spend it on The Athletic.
DocBrown

The signup page says $100 per year. Maybe it knows you are overseas which complicates the subscription/currency. I go back and forth between the Detroit papers. They always have a promo of $1/month for six months. You just need to cancel before the 7th month or you'll be paying full subscription cost.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
WingFanInA2

holytoledo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:56 pm
EuroMan wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:10 pm Why is almost everything on MLive paid content now? What happened? And honestly, I wouldn't even mind paying but it's not very clear how to sign up and how much they're going to charge after the promotion is over. Anybody is paying them and if so, how much and is it really worth it?
Are you interested in anything Michigan other than the Wings? If not, and you’re gonna pay for a subscription, I’d spend it on The Athletic.
Agreed, I got it on a promo rate, think it is $2 a month...just gotta remember to cancel when it expires, don't need to pay $20 a month during the summer.
DocBrown

BTW The Athletic has promos all the time, maybe because I am a former subscriber. They sent me $1/month for 12 months yesterday. I'm still sour how they jumped on the Michigan cheated faux storyline and milked it to death.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk