Patrick Kane unlikely to return to Red Wings next season

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DocBrown

Toronto was competing against itself on those contracts. They got lucky in the draft and then botched management of contracts and team construction.

The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
Slapper

Marner is soft and not a playoff player, I don’t see Yzerman taking him unless the wings give up very little and leafs retain 75% of his salary. He proved he’s weak on Saturday.
Zattaman

Slapper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am Marner is soft and not a playoff player, I don’t see Yzerman taking him unless the wings give up very little and leafs retain 75% of his salary. He proved he’s weak on Saturday.
I agree.

Now, maybe there's some lingering injury issue that makes him so ineffective right now.

But, I watched him in a couple of games against Boston and I had the exact same thought as Slapper -- Marner is not a playoff player! He's soft. He's weak. He's the opposite of Yzerman/Zetterberg/dare-I-say Marchand. These guys get better as the game gets tougher. Marner ain't it.

Even Matthews looks like he wants to win. Marner right now reminds me of Malreau when we played him in the playoffs and Datsyuk ate him alive. Granted, we lost that series, but Marleau caught a lot of flak in the media for being soft. And, at the end of the day, despite all the points in the regular season, Malreau has never won anything.
dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:36 am
Slapper wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:16 am Marner is soft and not a playoff player, I don’t see Yzerman taking him unless the wings give up very little and leafs retain 75% of his salary. He proved he’s weak on Saturday.
I agree.

Now, maybe there's some lingering injury issue that makes him so ineffective right now.

But, I watched him in a couple of games against Boston and I had the exact same thought as Slapper -- Marner is not a playoff player! He's soft. He's weak. He's the opposite of Yzerman/Zetterberg/dare-I-say Marchand. These guys get better as the game gets tougher. Marner ain't it.

Even Matthews looks like he wants to win. Marner right now reminds me of Malreau when we played him in the playoffs and Datsyuk ate him alive. Granted, we lost that series, but Marleau caught a lot of flak in the media for being soft. And, at the end of the day, despite all the points in the regular season, Malreau has never won anything.
Marner's game is similar to Patrick Kane imo. They are pass first perimeter players. His PPG in the playoffs is similar to Kane at almost a point per game and better than Datsyuk. Datsyuk was obviously way better defensively and could deal with physical play way better but i think Marner is better defensively than Kane is/was. There are a a shit load of players on their roster that aren't producing yet Marner is the first to be blamed.

I don't like the fact Marner is always looking at milking a team for everything he can, even if it means they can't have decent depth to win but his playoff performance wouldn't matter to me at this point...close to a PPG isn't bad and for the Wings, they need to make the playoffs for that to even matter.
Barbrady

It's disconcerting that this team is assembled in such a way that they simultaneously suck but are are so tight against the cap they may not be able to attract a big name, impactful free agent.

Also, it's a bit comical to worry about signing a perennial all-star UFA because his near ppg postseason statline may be too soft for the playoffs, when this team is almost a decade away from participating in them.
Fil Zaronek

Marner isn't soft
DocBrown

Wings don't have high end forwards. He's a high end forward. He's a guy you get at the top of the draft. He was fourth. These guys are rarely available so when the Wings are drafting in the middle of the pack you get him when you can. It's a no brainer at the correct price. You have to be a brain dead conflagrated vehicle to believe otherwise.

Figure out a deal with the Leafs. They need D men. The Wings have D men. Moving those guys will lessen cap hit and the Leafs are so dumb they can be convinced. Leafs don't necessarily want young D men, they think they can still compete for a Cup. Time for Y to do creative GM shite.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
Pop Zeus

DocBrown wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:15 pm They need to be on Marner and see what it would take to get him in Detroit because he's gone.
Everyone and their brother in Toronto is questioning Marner - apparently including players.
DocBrown

Yeah I saw that. Where are they gonna get high end forwards. You like Danielson alot, right??? LOL. Marco? Draft? Maybe if they just give Ras more PP time. GImmie a break. They have jack shite into the foreseeable future.
CoconutBackwards

Yea, I don't care about that at this point now either.

Marner needs a change of scenery.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady