Red Wings Trade/UFA Options

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

https://theathletic.com/5442235/2024/04 ... markstrom/
Bultman suggests Detroit might trade for Markstrom.

1. Markstrom makes $6M for 2 more years.
2. Markstrom, at 33-34, had a bit of a bounce back year to post numbers a lot like Lyon;s and Reimer's. The year before he was awful.

He suggests Fabbri ($4M), Husso ($4.75M) and Maatta ($3M) are movable. Maybe Maatta, if you slightly sweeten the deal.
Maatta. A healthy scratch on on of the worst defensive teams in the NHL.

Also he talks about Talbot, Ullmark and Rittich.

Bultman suggests Stamkos...
Who scored 40 goals.
Why the fuck would he come to Detroit unless Detroit was overpaying?
He either stays in Florida goes home to Toronto

Debrusk ... he's a less gritty Bertuzzi... What's the point.

Domi ... I watched him a lot in Chicago. he has his moments. He fights. He throws a hit sometimes. But he's surprisingly soft and no good defensively.

Beauvillier ... No thanks

Foegele ... solid big winger who could be useful... but he's gonna cost a lot after 20 goals.

Henrique... sign

Teravainen ... for 4 years? I think I'd invest. But where does the money come from? From trading the deadweight?

Zegras ... no thanks

RIght D

Tanev ... 34..
Roy .. From Detroit... blocks shots, hits (though not with much force as I recall).
Montour - one year removed from 73 points. He's going to demand $$$
Walker - meh
Murphy - Two years left on a deal. Not that great.

A lot of Bultman's picks and are pie in the sky.

Fabbri and Husso will cost you to move.
Even if you buy out Holl, it costs you.
Are you going to sacrifice big savings on Seider and Raymond down the road to bring in oldish UFAs.

MDWingsFan

On their season wrap up podcast Bultman was on with Ryan and Prasanth Iyer and the three names brought up for Kane's spot in the lineup were Kane (Obvs), Johnathan Marchessault, and Stamkos. They prefaced it with this being 3 guys all in the same age range that could fill that one spot. All pretty much passed on Stamkos (shoulder issues, declining production until the heater the last 18 games), and while they would take Kane back in a heartbeat, term was going to be a serious issue (none wanted him back for more than 2, max 3 years depending on $$$), and they all settled on Marchessault being the one guy if the wings were to bring on an older guy that they would target. I could see that being a decent signing... https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/playe ... lt-8476539. Taking out Kane, and Gost cuts a lot of points out of the lineup, need to find replacements somewhere...
Pop Zeus

MDWingsFan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm On their season wrap up podcast Bultman was on with Ryan and Prasanth Iyer and the three names brought up for Kane's spot in the lineup were Kane (Obvs), Johnathan Marchessault, and Stamkos. They prefaced it with this being 3 guys all in the same age range that could fill that one spot. All pretty much passed on Stamkos (shoulder issues, declining production until the heater the last 18 games), and while they would take Kane back in a heartbeat, term was going to be a serious issue (none wanted him back for more than 2, max 3 years depending on $$$), and they all settled on Marchessault being the one guy if the wings were to bring on an older guy that they would target. I could see that being a decent signing... https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/playe ... lt-8476539. Taking out Kane, and Gost cuts a lot of points out of the lineup, need to find replacements somewhere...
I don't think they can afford any of Kane, Marchessault, Stamkos or Markstrom.
Machine

Don’t like any of those scenarios
If Kane comes back great if not move on bring in someone younger
Play the hand you have
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:21 pm
MDWingsFan wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:27 pm On their season wrap up podcast Bultman was on with Ryan and Prasanth Iyer and the three names brought up for Kane's spot in the lineup were Kane (Obvs), Johnathan Marchessault, and Stamkos. They prefaced it with this being 3 guys all in the same age range that could fill that one spot. All pretty much passed on Stamkos (shoulder issues, declining production until the heater the last 18 games), and while they would take Kane back in a heartbeat, term was going to be a serious issue (none wanted him back for more than 2, max 3 years depending on $$$), and they all settled on Marchessault being the one guy if the wings were to bring on an older guy that they would target. I could see that being a decent signing... https://www.nhl.com/goldenknights/playe ... lt-8476539. Taking out Kane, and Gost cuts a lot of points out of the lineup, need to find replacements somewhere...
I don't think they can afford any of Kane, Marchessault, Stamkos or Markstrom.
Cap is allegedly going up to 87 million. I think in Stevie’s win now mode it’s fairly likely that Seider & Raymond get bridge deals to leave money on the table for vets. I don’t think it’s the right move, but after largely abandoning the rebuild the last two years, it seems like the direction he’s going.
Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 pm https://theathletic.com/5442235/2024/04 ... markstrom/

2. Markstrom, at 33-34, had a bit of a bounce back year to post numbers a lot like Lyon;s and Reimer's. The year before he was awful.

He suggests Fabbri ($4M), Husso ($4.75M) and Maatta ($3M) are movable. Maybe Maatta, if you slightly sweeten the deal.

Who scored 40 goals.

Domi ... I watched him a lot in Chicago. he has his moments. He fights. He throws a hit sometimes. But he's surprisingly soft and no good defensively.

Foegele ... solid big winger who could be useful... but he's gonna cost a lot after 20 goals.

Henrique... sign

Teravainen ... for 4 years? I think I'd invest. But where does the money come from? From trading the deadweight?

Zegras ... no thanks

RIght D

Tanev ... 34..
Roy .. From Detroit... blocks shots, hits (though not with much force as I recall).
Walker - meh

Are you going to sacrifice big savings on Seider and Raymond down the road to bring in oldish UFAs.
Why do you dismiss Zegras?
Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:34 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:09 pm https://theathletic.com/5442235/2024/04 ... markstrom/

Who scored 40 goals.

Henrique... sign

Zegras ... no thanks

RIght D

Tanev ... 34..
Walker - meh

.5 points per game
Apparently kind of a headache in the organization.
Winger, not a center. His flash means he'll probably cost more than he's worth.
Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:03 pm
Fil Zaronek wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:34 pm

Who scored 40 goals.

Henrique... sign

Zegras ... no thanks

RIght D

Tanev ... 34..
Walker - meh

.5 points per game
Apparently kind of a headache in the organization.
Winger, not a center. His flash means he'll probably cost more than he's worth.
Over 31 games in an injury plagued season and he has always scored a lot more, still young with best yet to come still. I am pretty sure that every time I have seen him play he was a Center I thought that he could be had for a bargain because of the drop in production, because the Ducks have 2 young Centers that they have drafted higher since drafting Zegras and because someone here (probably you) said he was a big headache for organization or something like that.
Here is a thread from HF about him and from skimming through it, hardly seems like he has been an a headache for the organization. Last post as well as others advocating for him to be the captain.
There is also a thread about who the next captain should be (they should have made a poll but they didn't) and Zegras' name is mentioned quite often. It seems that despite the disappointing season and the younger blue chip prospects at Center, that he won't be available for a bargain.
https://forums.hfboards.com/threads/tre ... i.2901743/
Last edited by Fil Zaronek on Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcz28

To me Markstrom is a hell no. He's old, expensive and not an elite goalie. Getting another goalie that isn't elite won't make a difference with this defense. Fix the defense and Husso (if he can stay healthy) and Lyon would be fine. Put Ulmark in front the the Wings defense and he would be good for a while but at some point his confidence would go down the toilet along with his numbers just like it has with every goalie the Wings have had for the last few years.

If the Wings hope to make the playoffs, Petry can't ever be in the top 4 or even better not be on the team. Holl needs to be gone, can't waste 3.4 million on a 7th defenseman that doesn't play or is even any good at anything. Need a legit top 4 RHD behind Seider to solidify the 2nd pair with Edvinsson. ASP is likely 2 years away maybe more if he stays in Sweden again next season. Tuomisto is likely a bottom pairing guy if he ever makes it so the Wings don't really have an internal solution to this.

The other problem is the center position, we saw this with Larkin out. Wings can't really bring in a legit top 6 offensive center unless Copp is gone. Copp is overpaid as a 3rd line center. Wings could have some internal options with Kasper and Danielson that could maybe push to make the team or at least be a callup incase Larkin or Compher go down instead of calling up Czarnik but we still don't know if either guy could even produce in the NHL even in the short term injury replacement but hard to think they could be worst than Veleno, Copp, Ras, Fabbri because we know none of these guys can produce as a top 6 center even short term.

Solidify the top 4 with legit top 4 on defense and make sure to have the offensive center depth for the top 6 and they should be a playoff team. Would also help if they didn't have so many forwards who can't play defense like Debrincat, Kane, Sprong ect...they help the offense and having 1 or 2 is ok as long as you can insulate them on a line with guys that can play defense but too many just wrecks the defense ability especially is you play 2 of them on one line like Kane with Debrincat.
DelHowLich

How might the Wings acquire Patrick Laine? If we take on his entire cap would they take Copp and his contract? One bloated contract deserves another! CBJ is looking for a vet center. Of course CBJ would require a bit more . Would that be Copp and a 2025 1st? Copp and Berggren? More yet? If Laine can get his head straight and be that sniper he was just a while ago, it would be a huge win for who ever has him. Y probably doesn't want another head case, but does Laine turn it around?