Did the Wings deserve to be left out of the playoffs?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.

Did the Wings deserve to be left out of the playoffs?

YES
92%
NO
8%

Total votes: 13
EuroMan

I have to say that they did not deserve it. They were pretty healthy for most of the year, PLUS they got Kane in the middle of the season. But every time they had a game they needed to win they choked almost every time. Even the last 2 games should not have been this difficult to win if they gave their best against a below average team fighting for nothing. Our goaltending was just not good at the end and the coaching got worse by the end of the season.

Barbrady

It essentially came down to the 2 head-to-head matchups they had against the Caps down the stretch, and they lost both.
hiramnicak

it's hilarious that they missed the way they did at the end, but they absolutely didn't deserve to get in. they were something like eight points up at around the trade deadline. they added the garbage patch, and they proceeded to soil the bedsheets. you can't play that poorly and expect a playoff berth.
kmac

I mean, I say the Wings deserved it as much as anybody...how do you even quantify the concept of "deserved" it? Washington got in after fucking around and sucking ass for the first half of the season....I think I can make the argument that they are pretenders who don't really deserve to be in either, why should their half-ass effort be deemed playoff worthy? And what about the Islanders? Does anybody really believe that they would have gotten into the playoffs if they had to play in the Atlantic Division? Hell, those top 4 teams in the Atlantic are so tough...maybe Detroit gets into the playoffs if they were playing in the Metrosexual Division instead of the Atlantic Division. I don't know. I mean I agree that at the end of the day the Wings kind of sucked down the stretch, but did any of the teams trying to make the playoffs at the end of the season really step up their game and cover themselves in glory? No, they all kind of just limp-dicked their way through the last couple weeks of the season. At least the Wings showed a lot of fighting spirit, coming through from behind in a bunch of games. So therefore, I, kmac, the arbiter of coolness, have decided that the Wings actually did deserve to make the playoffs and were foiled and denied their rightful spot. And it was probably Biden's fault. Think about it, Biden lives in Washington....
DelHowLich

kmac wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 am I mean, I say the Wings deserved it as much as anybody...how do you even quantify the concept of "deserved" it? Washington got in after fucking around and sucking ass for the first half of the season....I think I can make the argument that they are pretenders who don't really deserve to be in either, why should their half-ass effort be deemed playoff worthy? And what about the Islanders? Does anybody really believe that they would have gotten into the playoffs if they had to play in the Atlantic Division? Hell, those top 4 teams in the Atlantic are so tough...maybe Detroit gets into the playoffs if they were playing in the Metrosexual Division instead of the Atlantic Division. I don't know. I mean I agree that at the end of the day the Wings kind of sucked down the stretch, but did any of the teams trying to make the playoffs at the end of the season really step up their game and cover themselves in glory? No, they all kind of just limp-dicked their way through the last couple weeks of the season. At least the Wings showed a lot of fighting spirit, coming through from behind in a bunch of games. So therefore, I, kmac, the arbiter of coolness, have decided that the Wings actually did deserve to make the playoffs and were foiled and denied their rightful spot. And it was probably Biden's fault. Think about it, Biden lives in Washington....
I have to say that the reffing sucked in the last several games as well. They put their whistles in their pockets at odd times and the only thing they were consistent on were being inconsistent. This hurt the Wings chances in a game as their PP was better than a lot of teams they face down the stretch. This was most apparent in the games against the Pens and Washington.
winged wheel

I don't know if 'deserved' is the right word. They were pretty healthy most of the year, except for their number one goaltender only starting 19 games. Larkin also missed two stretches in which they really played poorly showing their lack of center depth. They lost some games they should have won, but also lead the league in 3rd period come back wins. In the end they were 1 point short.
dcz28

I don't know about deserve or not but hopefully they learn that some of those games that they didn't show up for could of made a difference if they had. Would have been nice for some of their younger players to get some playoff experience even if it was short lived but at the same time, not making it should maybe wake Yzerman up about the defense this team has. Petry and Holl both need to be gone and there needs to be a serious upgrade behind Seider on RD. If he can do that and add some forwards that can at least play some defense with some physical and toughness, then they should be better next season. A lot of people complain about the goaltending but i think they are fine if they had a good defense in front of them.
Pop Zeus

winged wheel wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 am I don't know if 'deserved' is the right word. They were pretty healthy most of the year, except for their number one goaltender only starting 19 games. Larkin also missed two stretches in which they really played poorly showing their lack of center depth. They lost some games they should have won, but also lead the league in 3rd period come back wins. In the end they were 1 point short.
There's nothing indicating the #1 goalie was any better than their 2 and 3 options.
Lyon was possibly the team MVP for 2 months and then he collapsed in March, which seems par for the course for Red Wing goalies the last few years - Husso, Ned, and now Lyon.
winged wheel

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:12 am
winged wheel wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:41 am I don't know if 'deserved' is the right word. They were pretty healthy most of the year, except for their number one goaltender only starting 19 games. Larkin also missed two stretches in which they really played poorly showing their lack of center depth. They lost some games they should have won, but also lead the league in 3rd period come back wins. In the end they were 1 point short.
There's nothing indicating the #1 goalie was any better than their 2 and 3 options.
Lyon was possibly the team MVP for 2 months and then he collapsed in March, which seems par for the course for Red Wing goalies the last few years - Husso, Ned, and now Lyon.
I agree. Husso wasn't playing great to start the season, who knows if he finds his game or not? Lyon was good until he wasn't, but he had more starts this season than his whole career combined.

Hopefully Cossa is ready to take over the starting job within a year or two. Or even Augustine, who knows. Great goaltending is hard to find these days.
CoconutBackwards

DelHowLich wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:34 am
kmac wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:29 am I mean, I say the Wings deserved it as much as anybody...how do you even quantify the concept of "deserved" it? Washington got in after fucking around and sucking ass for the first half of the season....I think I can make the argument that they are pretenders who don't really deserve to be in either, why should their half-ass effort be deemed playoff worthy? And what about the Islanders? Does anybody really believe that they would have gotten into the playoffs if they had to play in the Atlantic Division? Hell, those top 4 teams in the Atlantic are so tough...maybe Detroit gets into the playoffs if they were playing in the Metrosexual Division instead of the Atlantic Division. I don't know. I mean I agree that at the end of the day the Wings kind of sucked down the stretch, but did any of the teams trying to make the playoffs at the end of the season really step up their game and cover themselves in glory? No, they all kind of just limp-dicked their way through the last couple weeks of the season. At least the Wings showed a lot of fighting spirit, coming through from behind in a bunch of games. So therefore, I, kmac, the arbiter of coolness, have decided that the Wings actually did deserve to make the playoffs and were foiled and denied their rightful spot. And it was probably Biden's fault. Think about it, Biden lives in Washington....
I have to say that the reffing sucked in the last several games as well. They put their whistles in their pockets at odd times and the only thing they were consistent on were being inconsistent. This hurt the Wings chances in a game as their PP was better than a lot of teams they face down the stretch. This was most apparent in the games against the Pens and Washington.
Blaming the refs is pathetic.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady