GDT: Detroit at Montreal, 7 p.m. Tuesday

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
RatPatrol

Man listening to Lalonde is brutal.

Barbrady

holytoledo wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:23 pm
Barbrady wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm Playoffs or bust next year. No excuses. The turd they laid all March doomed them.
Man, IDK. We gotta let Perron, Gost, at least one of Fischer and Sprong go and upgrade RD somehow behind Seider.

Johansson, Kasper, Mazur & Berggren if we don’t move him all deserve a real shot at the roster.
If the Detroit fricking Lions, in year 2 of their rebuild, can come within one game of the postseason, and then follow it up with a Conference Championship appearance, then we should expect at least a playoff birth in year 6 of the Wings' rebuild after also missing the playoffs by one game. Including the kids getting roster time. And if they fail, the Steve Yzerplan can hop on the first train to Firedsville.
winged wheel

Supposedly Philadelphia was already eliminated when they pulled their goalie because of Detroit sending it to OT. I think both happened within a minute or two of each other though.
CoconutBackwards

winged wheel wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:00 pm I was pretty close in my season prediction of 96 pts and narrowly missing the playoffs.

That 7 game losing streak with no points really did damage to their playoff chances. They gave their all in the end, but the Caps deserved it.

Who would have thought they'd be in it at the end with Husso only starting 19 games?
Definitely not me.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
CoconutBackwards

Barbrady wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 pm
Barbrady wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:58 pm Playoffs or bust next year. No excuses. The turd they laid all March doomed them.
Man, IDK. We gotta let Perron, Gost, at least one of Fischer and Sprong go and upgrade RD somehow behind Seider.

Johansson, Kasper, Mazur & Berggren if we don’t move him all deserve a real shot at the roster.
If the Detroit fricking Lions, in year 2 of their rebuild, can come within one game of the postseason, and then follow it up with a Conference Championship appearance, then we should expect at least a playoff birth in year 6 of the Wings' rebuild after also missing the playoffs by one game. Including the kids getting roster time. And if they fail, the Steve Yzerplan can hop on the first train to Firedsville.
Ken Holland's stupid ass said rebuilds take ten years.

Most people in this city will be content to pump money into the Wings with zero expectations and the Yzermen here won't say anything with him at the helm.

The Lions were trash for 50 + years and the morons here kept filling the stadium regardless.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Barbrady

CoconutBackwards wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 1:01 pm
Barbrady wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:40 pm

Ken Holland's stupid ass said rebuilds take ten years.

Most people in this city will be content to pump money into the Wings with zero expectations and the Yzermen here won't say anything with him at the helm.

The Lions were trash for 50 + years and the morons here kept filling the stadium regardless.
I don't know if that's fully true. I remember a lot of blacked out home Lions games I couldn't watch because they weren't selling out. Joe Dumars won two Championships as a player, won a Championship as GM in year 4 and had five consecutive years of conference championship appearances, and he was chased off when the Pistons started sucking. I've seen a general shift from fans blindly "trusting the Yzerplan" to slowly losing patience with Yzerman and questioning his roster decisions over the past couple seasons.
CoconutBackwards

Agree to disagree on the people not supporting Yzerman.

I feel like he's still given 100% blind faith and is not questioned/criticized nearly enough.

We're on the Ken Holland path to rebuilds.
-Barbrady
holytoledo

CoconutBackwards wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm Agree to disagree on the people not supporting Yzerman.

I feel like he's still given 100% blind faith and is not questioned/criticized nearly enough.

I think for casual fans that this is definitely true. Generally speaking the closer someone follows the team, the less they trust the Yzerplan but there are still a lot of homers in that group.
Wizard of Corsica

CoconutBackwards wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:21 pm Agree to disagree on the people not supporting Yzerman.

It's bullshit to say people who support Yzerman give the guy blind faith. I support Yzerman, but am on the record in several threads with serious criticism. I am not the only one.

I have said a million times, the guy is a year behind acceptable schedule at least. Making the playoffs next year is not negotiable, but they have made improvements every year at this point, with youth in the pipeline.

The torches and pitchforks are a bit much at this point.

Oh yeah, I might was well take this opportunity thanks for another great season of discussion and zesty debate my friends. Thankfully there is no offseason here at RWC.
Last edited by Wizard of Corsica on Thu Apr 18, 2024 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoconutBackwards

I assume "Torches and pitchforks" means firing and I'm real skeptical any of the Yzermen could give a scenario for next year where firing him would be acceptable.

"Wait till he figures it out" is really what I'm hearing.
-Barbrady