Should Kane be re-signed?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.

Should Kane be re-signed?

Yes
63%
Yes, at a discount
21%
No
16%

Total votes: 19
Zattaman

Curious what you all think regarding Kane.

Personally, the more I watch him, the more I don't want him back. His offense is overrated, while defense is abysmal.

He hasn't really gelled with anyone. DeBrincat has looked neutered with Kane. Same with Perron. His PP entries often revolve around gaining or almost gaining the zone, then making a cutesy pass, which 50% of the time gets intercepted. I view him in the same light as Sprong -- useful secondary scoring. Unlike Sprong, however, he gets way too much ice time 5-on-5.

Machine

I’m voting yes though I wonder if Kane tries to get on with a contender after this season
Stevie_Wings

Zattaman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:23 pm Curious what you all think regarding Kane.

Personally, the more I watch him, the more I don't want him back. His offense is overrated, while defense is abysmal.

He hasn't really gelled with anyone. DeBrincat has looked neutered with Kane. Same with Perron. His PP entries often revolve around gaining or almost gaining the zone, then making a cutesy pass, which 50% of the time gets intercepted. I view him in the same light as Sprong -- useful secondary scoring. Unlike Sprong, however, he gets way too much ice time 5-on-5.
I’ve been of the same thought for a few games now; the offense is nice but he rarely wins a board battle, defensive play is non existent and he hasn’t gelled with anyone.
If they don’t bring back Perron, Sprong and some of the softer/older guys then I’d be ok to bring him back for a year or 2.
dcz28

I voted yes at a discount...not a discount from his salary this season but some where saying he could get like 6 mil on the open market which is a bit much. He has the hands, vision, can create space for himself and other players and quite deadly one on one with a goalie. I like him better than Debrincat but we are stuck with Debrincat. Both (along with Sprong) are offense only with no physicality or defense. Having guys like that can help the offense but having too many hurts the team defense too much especially when they go on a cold streak and basically contribute nothing.

Wings should not be bringing back all 3 of Kane, Debrincat and Sprong. Personally i would rather they traded Debrincat but that's not going to happen. Sprong can do the same job as him for much cheaper.

My biggest concern is Yzerman fixing the defense though. They can't go into next season with Petry and Holl again behind Seider on the right side. Need to get rid of both really and bring in a real top 4 RHD that can at least play some defense and maybe add a bit of offense or toughness to play with Edvinsson.
hiramnicak

We have too many soft, one-dimensional wingers on this team. Kane, DeBrincat, Fabbri, Sprong, Berggren... but Kane is clearly a cut above the rest of them. I voted bring him back at a discount, but the caveat there is that Seider and Raymond have to get signed first. I'd max out their eight years, personally.
holytoledo

Zattaman wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 3:23 pm Curious what you all think regarding Kane.

I’m really not sure, but 20 goals in 47 games is not secondary scoring. He is the team’s primary goal scorer.
DelHowLich

Yes, yes, yes bring him back at $5M x3. And he does win board battles with finesse, not physicality.
Slapper

Absolutely bring him back. This team hasn’t had that level of offensive talent since Datsyuk. At times he’s the only thing worth watching
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:53 pm Yes, yes, yes bring him back at $5M x3. And he does win board battles with finesse, not physicality.
I'd go 2x6.5. Fuck 3 years.
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:53 pm Yes, yes, yes bring him back at $5M x3. And he does win board battles with finesse, not physicality.
3 years is a long time to commit to a 35 year old.