Detroit @ Washington, 7 p.m., Tuesday

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

Detroit did not make good on their slot chances. PERIOD That was the difference between them and the Caps. Lyon has been good the last 2 games, not his fault THIS time. But yeah, play Reimer cuz Lyon had the loses.

Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 10:52 pm Detroit did not make good on their slot chances. PERIOD That was the difference between them and the Caps. Lyon has been good the last 2 games, not his fault THIS time. But yeah, play Reimer cuz Lyon had the loses.
Lyon was not good. 4 goals on 30 shots is .867.
His save percentage went down.
His goals against went up.
He was your run of the mill goalie tonight. Not horrid. But not good.
He looked weak and shaky.
DelHowLich

No, it wasn't Lyon's fault this time. He was good enough, it was up to Detroit to give him goal support and they failed. Lyon was bad over that long losing streak and should have seen a lot less game time then.
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:21 pm No, it wasn't Lyon's fault this time. He was good enough, it was up to Detroit to give him goal support and they failed. Lyon was bad over that long losing streak and should have seen a lot less game time then.
Good enough for what.
He gave up 4 goals.
He's lost 9 straight fucking games.
He's had a .900 sv pct ONCE in that entire time.
He's given up less than 4 goals twice.
4 goals is not "goon enough" unless you're facing 36-40 shots most nights.

If Lalonde comes back with Lyon next game.... he's a dunce
EuroMan

I keep saying how much Debrincat needs to be sat out and today he proves my point again. What a dumb fucking move in OT allowing the 3 on 2 and the OT winner. I mean how can such a good player make such dumb mistakes? And why do we even need a coach if he's not going to do anything about it?
EuroMan

I think losing this game means the playoffs are not going to happen for the Wings this season either. This was a Must Win not just because of points but to prove they are capable. They could not. I say we're not going to see him in Playoffs and this is going to be another long summer for all of us. Luckily I get to spend it in Bangkok!
Zattaman

DeBrincat scored the first goal and assisted on the tying goal. Without him, we lose in regulation, not OT.

This isn't about DeBrincat -- it's about coaching and goaltending.

We have trouble with defensive coverage. We're 12th in the league in blocked shots per 60 (mainly because of Seider, Chiarot, and Walman), but we do a terrible job with shot suppression and elimination of scoring chances.

Even the Nashville game, which I thought I heard Osgood praise as a good defensive effort, Nashville had 3 or 4 glorious empty net chances that could have easily ended that game early.

This team cannot win low scoring games. We've powered through by outscoring the opposition. But, when the offense dries up, we're unable to make defensive adjustments and keep the puck out of net.
Stevie_Wings

For me, it comes down to coaching and the personnel on defence. When Petry is getting minutes like a top 3 defensemen and Chiarot on the top pair (with Wallman out), no system can save that, but Lalonde should've been able to make some adjustments throughout the season to help mitigate some of the defensive lapses. Maybe on Yzerman too, he should've brought up Edvinsson up a lot sooner rather than waiting until everything fell apart in March.
The goaltending hasn't been bad, but you get what you pay for; with a better supporting cast, the goaltending looks above average; the goalies have done decently well considering the circumstances.
I would be ok coming back with Husso/Lyon for one more year if the defense is upgraded, I'd rather not give up prime assets for a Markstrom/Gibson or whoever and instead buy time and wait for Cossa/Augustine to begin making their mark.
The offence needs some tweaks, especially some youth added but I'd be ok with no major upgrades for next season.
Pop Zeus

Chiarot has been to the conference finals and finals.
He's so much better than Walman.

Disagree with Stevie on the quality of goaltending, but I agree we should await the future with Cossa and Augustine rather than sign an overpriced goalie who might be an albatross in 2 years.
DelHowLich

Zattaman wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:24 am DeBrincat scored the first goal and assisted on the tying goal. Without him, we lose in regulation, not OT.

This isn't about DeBrincat -- it's about coaching and goaltending.

We have trouble with defensive coverage. We're 12th in the league in blocked shots per 60 (mainly because of Seider, Chiarot, and Walman), but we do a terrible job with shot suppression and elimination of scoring chances.

Even the Nashville game, which I thought I heard Osgood praise as a good defensive effort, Nashville had 3 or 4 glorious empty net chances that could have easily ended that game early.

This team cannot win low scoring games. We've powered through by outscoring the opposition. But, when the offense dries up, we're unable to make defensive adjustments and keep the puck out of net.
Cat even admitted in the interview with Trev that the 1st of the Caps goals was on him! (and he was glad to get it back on his own goal) So if the OT goal was on him also, as some here claim, then what is to be done to a guy that gets a goal and an assist, but lapses defensively on the opponent's goals and draws even on the +/- ?????........probably nothing.