Detroit @ Washington, 7 p.m., Tuesday

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Mar 27, 2024 12:24 pm Chiarot has been to the conference finals and finals.
He's so much better than Walman.

Disagree with Stevie on the quality of goaltending, but I agree we should await the future with Cossa and Augustine rather than sign an overpriced goalie who might be an albatross in 2 years.
Sign Kahkonen for 3 x $4M ???? If NJ does not.
I think we are stuck with Husso for his last year.

cska91

I think this collapse is on Yzerman. How hard was it to bring in another goaltender, knowing that Husso was out? Yzerman spoke about having better players to call up than those available at the deadline. Then, he called up Berggren and sat him in the press box. He had no goalie that he could call up. Devils picked up Allen for a 3rd round pick, and he has been amazing for them. That's what the Wings needed. Small price to pay, to have some depth in net. Brutal...

The team still needs work defensively. They have defensive lapses... the entire team needs to put in more work on D. However, the difference is that goaltending made up for a lot of those lapses in February. Lyon has been pedestrian in March, and that's been the difference. They have nobody to replace them with... and now they will miss the playoffs, after all the hard work that was put into the season. It's disappointing.
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
DelHowLich

cska91 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm I think this collapse is on Yzerman. How hard was it to bring in another goaltender, knowing that Husso was out? Yzerman spoke about having better players to call up than those available at the deadline. Then, he called up Berggren and sat him in the press box. He had no goalie that he could call up. Devils picked up Allen for a 3rd round pick, and he has been amazing for them. That's what the Wings needed. Small price to pay, to have some depth in net. Brutal...

The team still needs work defensively. They have defensive lapses... the entire team needs to put in more work on D. However, the difference is that goaltending made up for a lot of those lapses in February. Lyon has been pedestrian in March, and that's been the difference. They have nobody to replace them with... and now they will miss the playoffs, after all the hard work that was put into the season. It's disappointing.
Lyon is no longer getting the goal support that made him look good in many of those wins. That is most of the difference in these low scoring affairs of late.
WingFanInA2

cska91 wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm I think this collapse is on Yzerman. How hard was it to bring in another goaltender, knowing that Husso was out? Yzerman spoke about having better players to call up than those available at the deadline. Then, he called up Berggren and sat him in the press box. He had no goalie that he could call up. Devils picked up Allen for a 3rd round pick, and he has been amazing for them. That's what the Wings needed. Small price to pay, to have some depth in net. Brutal...

How is Allen’s slapper? You get goose egged multiple times in the past couple of weeks, kinda hard to win no matter how good your goaltending is. I’m glad we didn’t buy at the deadline, I would rather we sold some parts off. This team isn’t good enough to spend draft capital just to get blasted in the first round.

I’ll agree the goaltending isn’t good but this team isn’t good defensively or really offensively either.
Zattaman

I think it's deeper than goaltending. Roster has improved, but team defense is exactly where it was last season. The coaching staff has failed to come up with a viable defensive strategy fit for the roster Yzerman has built. Team defense relies on shot-blocking and line match-ups. Lalonde hasn't made ANY adjustments to fix defensive mistakes that keep happening every single game. He's either as stubborn as Babcock or he's just a mouthpiece who has no idea how to evaluate players and created strategies based on their strengths/weaknesses.
WingFanInA2

Zattaman wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:01 am

I think it's deeper than goaltending. Roster has improved, but team defense is exactly where it was last season. The coaching staff has failed to come up with a viable defensive strategy fit for the roster Yzerman has built. Team defense relies on shot-blocking and line match-ups. Lalonde hasn't made ANY adjustments to fix defensive mistakes that keep happening every single game. He's either as stubborn as Babcock or he's just a mouthpiece who has no idea how to evaluate players and created strategies based on their strengths/weaknesses.
I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Yzerman hasn't put together a great roster, just good enough to be fringe playoff level, which is the worst possible situation. For the most part, he players have not lived up to expectations (or in the case of Holl and Petry, unfortunately lived up to expectations). Lalonde hasn't done a good job in working with this roster, putting systems together that work, adapting, and especially motivating the team. The easiest change is to fire Lalonde and I hope that happens in the off-season.
DelHowLich

WingFanInA2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 am

I think there is plenty of blame to go around. Yzerman hasn't put together a great roster, just good enough to be fringe playoff level, which is the worst possible situation. For the most part, he players have not lived up to expectations (or in the case of Holl and Petry, unfortunately lived up to expectations). Lalonde hasn't done a good job in working with this roster, putting systems together that work, adapting, and especially motivating the team. The easiest change is to fire Lalonde and I hope that happens in the off-season.
Lalonde needs to set Petry and go ahead and use Holl. The guy is fresh and eager to be used again, and besides if you don't use him, how are you gonna trade him if an upgrade comes along? Holl made no mistakes in 13;34 TOI against the Canes.....time to set Petry.
holytoledo

I think overall the team defense is worse than last season. Lyon masked it for a while but Hronek’s better defensively than any of Gost, Holl or Petry and can help tilt the ice the other way whereas neither Holl nor Petry can. Debrincat, Kane & Sprong bring offense, but at the sacrifice of defense and Perron is slower than last year. We are also asking way too much of Seider and when you play 15+ minutes against elite players most nights it’s easy for the smallest of mistakes to end up in the back of the net.

This roster sucks balls. We might finish with 8-10 points more than last year. I think that the improvement Lucas Raymond has made might have more to do with that than any additions or subtractions we made. Veleno, Ras and Copp to a lesser extent too. Not so sure Copp has really improved but he’s healthier and playing a role he’s more suited for and I think the overall results for him and play have been better this year even if the stats don’t bear that out.
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:47 pm
WingFanInA2 wrote: Fri Mar 29, 2024 11:28 am

Lalonde needs to set Petry and go ahead and use Holl. The guy is fresh and eager to be used again, and besides if you don't use him, how are you gonna trade him if an upgrade comes along? Holl made no mistakes in 13;34 TOI against the Canes.....time to set Petry.
I agree. Holl has a rough go of it ‘round these parts because of his contract, I think he’s still the #2 RD on this roster.
Pop Zeus

I started a thread about Holl a couple weeks ago... how is he possibly worse than some of the other guys we play?
The only good thing about Gost is he kept Seider's PP numbers down a bit, which should help at contract time,