Wings at Nashville, 3/23/24, 5PM

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:18 pm
EuroMan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 pm Another HORRIBLE game by Debrincat, when will our coach get the balls to bench him for the game. Or at least drop him to the 3rd line. I mean he's embarrassingly bad this month.
Did you watch the game or just the recap? Because Cat was dangerous and looked fine to me. I like his game a lot more than Kane's, who can be careless with the puck.

If you bench him, who's going to play? Marshmallow Berggren?
I'd have to agree with him on this. Debrincat has been bad for a while. He can't score to save his life and gives the puck away a lot.

Kane does give it away too but he has much better vision and hands to make plays. Neither are good defensively or want to take a hit to make plays much.

Stevie_Wings

I think Debrincat's been good on the forecheck, he does get into the dirty areas but he's been majorly snake bitten; he gets his chances but can't bury them. The most frustrating part is his puck management; he forces passes or gives it away too many times. Especially on the PP, every time I seem him handle the puck I know he's going to find a way to turn it over.
Zattaman

DeBrincat can't score, but he's still generating chances. Fester keeps putting that line with either Compher or Veleno. Veleno has about as much hockey sense as Boyd the Void Devereaux, while Compher doesn't have the skill to be an effective finisher. I'd play them with Larkin who can draw opponents away from Cat with his speed and has the skill to be a finisher for Kane.

Tanguay also needs to change the PP a bit. It's too static and, at this point, too predictable. Everyone knows Kane will try to feed Cat or pass it to Seider/Gostisbehere who's going to pass it to Cat. How about moving Cat to bumper?
EuroMan

Zattaman wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 5:18 pm
EuroMan wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 3:14 pm Another HORRIBLE game by Debrincat, when will our coach get the balls to bench him for the game. Or at least drop him to the 3rd line. I mean he's embarrassingly bad this month.
Did you watch the game or just the recap? Because Cat was dangerous and looked fine to me. I like his game a lot more than Kane's, who can be careless with the puck.

If you bench him, who's going to play? Marshmallow Berggren?
I watched the entire game and all I remember is him losing a puck without anybody being around him, making some really bad passes, giveaways, and most importantly he's not scoring
holytoledo

Zattaman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am DeBrincat can't score, but he's still generating chances. Fester keeps putting that line with either Compher or Veleno. Veleno has about as much hockey sense as Boyd the Void Devereaux, while Compher doesn't have the skill to be an effective finisher. I'd play them with Larkin who can draw opponents away from Cat with his speed and has the skill to be a finisher for Kane.

Tanguay also needs to change the PP a bit. It's too static and, at this point, too predictable. Everyone knows Kane will try to feed Cat or pass it to Seider/Gostisbehere who's going to pass it to Cat. How about moving Cat to bumper?
I’d move Raymond to C for the rest of the year. We still don’t have a playmaking C in the org so we better make one out of a playmaking forward. Put Compher on Larkin’s wing, play Berggren in Raymond’s spot or put Sprong there. The mirage of Compher being a viable 2C has faded.
Zattaman

holytoledo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm
Zattaman wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:13 am DeBrincat can't score, but he's still generating chances. Fester keeps putting that line with either Compher or Veleno. Veleno has about as much hockey sense as Boyd the Void Devereaux, while Compher doesn't have the skill to be an effective finisher. I'd play them with Larkin who can draw opponents away from Cat with his speed and has the skill to be a finisher for Kane.

I’d move Raymond to C for the rest of the year. We still don’t have a playmaking C in the org so we better make one out of a playmaking forward. Put Compher on Larkin’s wing, play Berggren in Raymond’s spot or put Sprong there. The mirage of Compher being a viable 2C has faded.
I was thinking the same about Raymond. But, Fester recently said that he likes him on the wing and he won't be moved to C.

Didn't he play C in Sweden?
DelHowLich

Zattaman wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2024 11:03 am
holytoledo wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:40 pm

I was thinking the same about Raymond. But, Fester recently said that he likes him on the wing and he won't be moved to C.

Didn't he play C in Sweden?
He was drafted as a wing, because I was hoping for a C. But obviously he was BPA!
Pop Zeus

Was talked about as a center, but Raymond was a winger, mostly.

Anyone remember when they talked about Svechnikov converting to center?

Who was the big wing prospect who was drafted as a W but they constantly toyed with the idea of him at C.

Franzen came over as a C, right? Rose to the occasion when Holmstrom got hurt and blew up when he got that headshot.
hiramnicak

I don't recall Raymond ever playing center, but I'd love to try the experiment out.

I don't see Fester tweaking things while we're in the hunt for a playoff spot, but if we drop out of the running, why not? If the Wings landslide out of playoff position, I'd absolutely call up a couple guys, try Raymond at center, and experiment with different ideas for the rest of the season. Granted, I'm not an NHL coach and would be fired pretty quickly.