GDT: Detroit at Pittsburgh 6:00

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

Cat last 30 games:
6 goals... 3 even strength

Pop Zeus

Zattaman wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:45 pm Cat last 30 games:
First 7 games 9-4-13 +6
Next 61 14-27-41 -11

Also. Last nine. 0-1-1 -9
Not exactly cutch stuff for a guy making almost $8M
dcz28

Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 10:12 pm
Zattaman wrote: Wed Dec 31, 1969 11:45 pm Cat last 30 games:
First 7 games 9-4-13 +6
Next 61 14-27-41 -11

Also. Last nine. 0-1-1 -9
Not exactly cutch stuff for a guy making almost $8M
This is why i didn't want the Wings to trade for this guy. I didn't think this guy would even hit 30 goals with the Wings and that was before Kane signed...he hasn't been scoring much more since Kane arrived and likely won't hit 30 goals. You can probably get the same production from Sprong if he was used as much as Cat for a lot less money. Neither are good defensively or physical much and are known for their shot although i think Sprong has a better shot than Cat.

At some point he might get hot again and score a few goals on a streak but time is running out for that this season and the way they are playing defense, it probably won't matter at that point.
RatPatrol

We will score goals and play better defensively when Larkin gets back. However, it may be too late.
DelHowLich

Stevie_Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 pm I'm calling it, they're done. No way does this team, playing like this, deserve to be anywhere near the playoffs. Really disappointing to see how this team has responded and played when it mattered most. Not sure Lalonde is the guy, hasn't been able to get this team to play defense all season long.
This is on the players! They played well against the Sabers, then did nothing against an older, slower Pens team. Maybe Reimer inspires them to play better! They have played better when he is in net lately. Play him for a while. There should be a team meeting to iron this stuff out!
Stevie_Wings

DelHowLich wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am
Stevie_Wings wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:40 pm I'm calling it, they're done. No way does this team, playing like this, deserve to be anywhere near the playoffs. Really disappointing to see how this team has responded and played when it mattered most. Not sure Lalonde is the guy, hasn't been able to get this team to play defense all season long.
This is on the players! They played well against the Sabers, then did nothing against an older, slower Pens team. Maybe Reimer inspires them to play better! They have played better when he is in net lately. Play him for a while. There should be a team meeting to iron this stuff out!
You're right, this is on the players. There was talk of depth all season long and now missing one player, the guys fall apart. I do put some blame on Stevie Y and Lalonde; they should have brought in better Dmen or at least implemented a system that made up for the lack of talent on the back end. At the end of the day, the offense and to some extend goaltending made up for some of that but it all went cold at the wrong time. They're unable to win low scoring games when the offense isn't clicking or with average goaltending.
Unless things start clicking right away and they pull off another January level month the rest of the way, it's not looking good. Most seasons I'd made peace with that but it truly seemed like they were gonna get in this season and I was looking forward to some competitive hockey late in the season/playoffs.
Zattaman

Stevie_Wings wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:17 am
DelHowLich wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:07 am
You're right, this is on the players. There was talk of depth all season long and now missing one player, the guys fall apart. I do put some blame on Stevie Y and Lalonde; they should have brought in better Dmen or at least implemented a system that made up for the lack of talent on the back end. At the end of the day, the offense and to some extend goaltending made up for some of that but it all went cold at the wrong time. They're unable to win low scoring games when the offense isn't clicking or with average goaltending.
Unless things start clicking right away and they pull off another January level month the rest of the way, it's not looking good. Most seasons I'd made peace with that but it truly seemed like they were gonna get in this season and I was looking forward to some competitive hockey late in the season/playoffs.
Coaches share equal blame.

I don't think it's leadership. Most vets have played with proper intensity. Chiarot, Copp, Perron, Compher have all looked engaged. Perron's hit in the O-zone led directly to Raymond's goal. It's guys like Ghost, Walman, Veleno, Petry, Berggren that have been too lackadaisical.

Fester and Co. have failed to prepare this team. It's his job to simplify things and keep the team focused. We've given up 43 GA in the last 9 games.... that's 4.8 goals per game! Doesn't matter the opponent, we can't seem to defend.

Last night, it looked like Fester benched Rasmussen because of an after-whistle crosscheck. It was a bad penalty to take, but Rasmussen was also one of the few that have played well. Would Fester bench Kane for taking a bad penalty?