College Free Agent Frenzy to start soon!

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

How about a bigger goalie than Cossa?
Cooper Black, Dartmouth, from Alpena MI

There is a ‘skill’ that Black has that can’t be taught, a 6’8 frame (some sites have him at 6’9). That makes him hard to miss. His sophomore year was an improvement although his numbers with the Big Green (2.60 GAA, .909 SV%) are still a little on the pedestrian side. Still eligible for two more seasons, NHL teams will have to decide if the time is right to try to sign him now or if they should give him another year in college. While he’s still raw in terms of his development, it wouldn’t be surprising to see some teams try to sign Black now.

Fil Zaronek

Sportsnet Future Considerations: Looking at the top college free agents in 2024
https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/fu ... s-in-2024/
Bruins have already signed Drew Bavaro who has played 2 games for Providence.
DelHowLich

Bruins signed the University of Notre Dame’s Ryan Bischel to a one-year, minor-league contract that begins next season. Bischel joins the Providence Bruins just one week after Notre Dame teammate Drew Bavaro signed a deal with the team. The Bruins are landing one of the top NCAA free agents in Bischel, who is a finalist for Big Ten Goaltender of the Year this season after winning the award last year. The 24-year-old netminder has served as Notre Dame’s full-time starter over the last two seasons, recording a combined 31 wins and .928 save percentage. He’s been dazzling for the Fighting Irish, earning the eighth-most wins and seventh-best save percentage in program history over his five years in Indiana.
DelHowLich

Jacob Truscott, U of M, (Port Huron native) told VAN he won’t be signing with them a few months back.
LD, 21 yo, 6"1", 185 lbs
Wings are loaded with LD prospects, but who knows? Would they take a flyer on him and try to trade another LD???
Pop Zeus

What? The Wings got Hirose and Kuffner?
Plan the parade!
DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:36 pm What? The Wings got Hirose and Kuffner?
Plan the parade!
Hirose, yes. Kuffy is long gone. I gues you don't keep up with roster moves. :lol:
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:29 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:36 pm What? The Wings got Hirose and Kuffner?
Plan the parade!
Hirose, yes. Kuffy is long gone. I gues you don't keep up with roster moves. :lol:
I think Dekeyser was the last college UFA we signed that had any impact.
Pop Zeus

I like Hirose, too.
But he's evidence of just how hard it is to get your shot when you're blow 6;0 and not a great skater.
Fil Zaronek

I think Vatrano and Krug (both originally signed by Boston) are the best active undrafted NCAA players. Even though landing a good one is rare, they should always look for undrafted diamonds in the rough from all available sources.
DelHowLich

Jacob Quillan C, Quinnipiac

After a breakout sophomore year capped by scoring the National Championship-winning goal, Quillan surprisingly opted to return for his junior year, rebuffing NHL interest in the process. The 22-year-old is in the midst of a better season offensively but he profiles more as a lower-end forward in the pros. However, he’s also one of the more likely ones to have NHL success so the interest will be there again shortly unless he decides to go back for his senior season.

I like this guy! 6' 0", 196 lbs, L shot
Edit, 3/31: He scored 2 in the game against BC in a losing effort today.