Lyon Lately

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Fil Zaronek

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:24 pm Lyon will fade like he did last year, unfortunately. :(
He is no Tim Thomas.
He didn't fade last year. He is credited for getting Florida into the playoffs.
He was pulled in the 3rd game of the Boston series in which he allowed 3 goals on 26 shots and Bob came in hot and held the fort the rest way

DelHowLich

Fil Zaronek wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:24 pm Lyon will fade like he did last year, unfortunately. :(
He is no Tim Thomas.
He was pulled in the 3rd game of the Boston series in which he allowed 3 goals on 26 shots and Bob came in hot and held the fort the rest way
He faded, he lost the first 2 game as well.
Fil Zaronek

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:52 am
Fil Zaronek wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:21 pm
He is no Tim Thomas.
He faded, he lost the first 2 game as well.
He only lost one of the first 2
puckstopper92

I think Lyon is the biggest reason for the recent slump. And in fairness, he was also the biggest reason for the success in January and February. When a team has confidence in a goalie, they can play their game, and know the goalie can handle things. But in this slumping stretch, there have been a lot of soft goals. And it causes the team to overplay the puck, therefore making mistakes in the defensive zone, leaving players open, and not being prepared to breakout of the defensive zone and produce offensively. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game they won recently was a Reimer start. Even though I don't trust Reimer long term, he's been the more reliable goalie recently. That's unfortunately not saying much.

I really hope Husso gets healthy soon and is chomping at the bit to prove that he's a starting level goalie in this league. Because until that happens, I'm not sure how many wins we'll see.
Fil Zaronek

puckstopper92 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 pm I think Lyon is the biggest reason for the recent slump. And in fairness, he was also the biggest reason for the success in January and February. When a team has confidence in a goalie, they can play their game, and know the goalie can handle things. But in this slumping stretch, there have been a lot of soft goals. And it causes the team to overplay the puck, therefore making mistakes in the defensive zone, leaving players open, and not being prepared to breakout of the defensive zone and produce offensively. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game they won recently was a Reimer start. Even though I don't trust Reimer long term, he's been the more reliable goalie recently. That's unfortunately not saying much.

I really hope Husso gets healthy soon and is chomping at the bit to prove that he's a starting level goalie in this league. Because until that happens, I'm not sure how many wins we'll see.
Other than the game they won against the Sabres, the Wings have been playing like ass since Larkin went out. To win any of those games the goalie would have had to steal it.
Pop Zeus

puckstopper92 wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:18 pm I think Lyon is the biggest reason for the recent slump. And in fairness, he was also the biggest reason for the success in January and February. When a team has confidence in a goalie, they can play their game, and know the goalie can handle things. But in this slumping stretch, there have been a lot of soft goals. And it causes the team to overplay the puck, therefore making mistakes in the defensive zone, leaving players open, and not being prepared to breakout of the defensive zone and produce offensively. I don't think it's a coincidence that the game they won recently was a Reimer start. Even though I don't trust Reimer long term, he's been the more reliable goalie recently. That's unfortunately not saying much.

I was torn between Larkin and Lyon for the MVP in January.
But Lyon went from all-star level good to AHL quality.
It's one thing not to sustain great play. But to become terrible is something else.
Lalonde may have been too slow to go to Reimer.
DelHowLich

I hope Reimer gets the call Thursday against the Isles.