Berggren Rejects Offer, Wants to Be Traded

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... tract-more
As the Detroit Red Wings explore the market and look to add non-rental pieces to their roster, young forward Jonatan Berggren remains an asset they are dangling as bait. The 23-year-old is having an outstanding year in the AHL, with 38 points in 37 games to date, and performed well in a brief sting with the big club. But word is he recently rejected a contract extension pitched by the Red Wings and wants a shot at a full-time NHL gig, something he clearly isn’t getting right now in Detroit. Around five teams, including Calgary and Montreal, have expressed interest.
No shit.
Soderblom, Johansson and Viro have also been wasted.
Edvinsson, too, if he doesn't start with the team next season.

Wizard of Corsica

That is adorable. The kid has no leverage, but if he really wants a trade I would be happy to include him in a package for Hanifin, and Berggren can enjoy life in purgatory, I mean Calgary.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Fil Zaronek

I don't blame him for being disgruntled. He was just as good as Raymond was during their rookie camp but Berggren was injured (minor injury) at the end of it and Raymond got the "golden boy" treatment while Berggren hasn't been afforded opportunity he has deserved.
winged wheel

I’m guessing they planned on calling him up once injuries hit but they’ve been pretty healthy this season. Same with Edvinsson.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... tract-more
As the Detroit Red Wings explore the market and look to add non-rental pieces to their roster, young forward Jonatan Berggren remains an asset they are dangling as bait. The 23-year-old is having an outstanding year in the AHL, with 38 points in 37 games to date, and performed well in a brief sting with the big club. But word is he recently rejected a contract extension pitched by the Red Wings and wants a shot at a full-time NHL gig, something he clearly isn’t getting right now in Detroit. Around five teams, including Calgary and Montreal, have expressed interest.
No shit.
Don’t agree on those other 3 at all. They haven’t really shown they are NHL players. Berrgren should have been up all year. I like Sprong, but would rather have gone with Burgers all year. Could have moved Perron too. I’d rather move Perron and bring Burgers up now.
Wizard of Corsica

winged wheel wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:14 pm I’m guessing they planned on calling him up once injuries hit but they’ve been pretty healthy this season. Same with Edvinsson.
At this point they would no doubt be thrilled if they could keep Ed in GR the rest of the regular season to preserve a year of his ELC. I would not be surprised if he took Petry’s spot if/when they make the playoffs, or whomever.
Slapper

Pop Zeus wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:10 pm https://www.thefourthperiod.com/pagnott ... tract-more
No shit.
I’m calling bullshit on this “report”. Berggren is out of options and will be on an NHL roster next season and he’s an RFA.
DocBrown

Good for Johnny Burgers. Y grew up as a GM under converted vacuum salesman Kenny Holland who is famously attached to his 'overripe' view of young players. If you ain't overripe it ain't right. Players are assets, and in the Wings case like extra cash a mutual fund manager always has on hand to invest in this or that when the time is right. And Burgers, strangely enough considers himself as a person and player first and not as cash on hand for the likes of Y who has bungled the roster.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
Wizard of Corsica

DocBrown wrote: Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:01 pm Good for Johnny Burgers. Y grew up as a GM under converted vacuum salesman Kenny Holland who is famously attached to his 'overripe' view of young players. If you ain't overripe it ain't right. Players are assets, and in the Wings case like extra cash a mutual fund manager always has on hand to invest in this or that when the time is right. And Burgers, strangely enough considers himself as a person and player first and not as cash on hand for the likes of Y who has bungled the roster.
Yeah, what a disaster the Wings are turning out to be. Slapper is right, this report is a joke.
Last edited by Wizard of Corsica on Thu Feb 22, 2024 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cska91

I think Berggren has the same value as a top 10 first round pick... if Yzerman is able to get that kind of value in return, he will trade Berggren. If not, Berggren will be on the Wings next year, barring injury. There is no drama here, no reason to make more of it that there really is...
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp