Trade Deadline

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
cska91

I don't think it's too early to start talking trade deadline. There is already scuttlebutt on who may be available at the deadline. Merzlikins has requested a trade out of Columbus, and the Senators are supposedly listening on Chychrun, who is still only 25 and should have been a Red Wing all along.

I think both are interesting... Merzlikins will likely cost next to nothing, even if the Jackets pick up half his salary, and would improve the goaltending situation. Chychrun would be an investment into the present and the future. Not sure what it would take, but since he didn't really work out in Ottawa, I would think his value is down as well.

Are there other players thought to be available that would help the Wings?

"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
DocBrown

The genius of the Cat to get outta Dodge while the getting was good. Kubalik looks to be having a not so great year. What a trash dump. BTW.....in other news.....Hughes pulling Hronek along. Chychrun not all that great....

1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
DelHowLich

cska91 wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:41 pm I don't think it's too early to start talking trade deadline. There is already scuttlebutt on who may be available at the deadline. Merzlikins has requested a trade out of Columbus, and the Senators are supposedly listening on Chychrun, who is still only 25 and should have been a Red Wing all along.

I think both are interesting... Merzlikins will likely cost next to nothing, even if the Jackets pick up half his salary, and would improve the goaltending situation. Chychrun would be an investment into the present and the future. Not sure what it would take, but since he didn't really work out in Ottawa, I would think his value is down as well.

Are there other players thought to be available that would help the Wings?
The price for Chyrchun is supposedly a 1st and a good prospect.
2025 1st and Berggren would hopefully do it. Then trade Holl to Van for Kuzmenko (retain a little) Play Chicky w/ Chiarot and have them flip for the LS.
Zattaman

I don't think Yzerman will do anything.

We're not yet at a point where we should be giving up assets in exchange for veterans. Obviously, if a DeBrincat-type deal comes along, you do it. But, usually, trade deadline prices are high.

I also don't think we're going to sell -- unless we fall out of the playoff picture. Reimer might be on the only expendable piece, but I doubt anyone would want him.
cska91

I would think the Wings would find a 1st and a prospect an acceptable price for a top line D who is still only 25 years old. And if that first round pick is not even top 15, it's a steal IMHO.
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
DelHowLich

Bundle Reimer, Holl (retain $.5M) and a 5th for Pesce
Canes need a vet goalie that is cheap, a RD with term that is cheaper than Pesce's ask because they have Skjei and Chatfield to re-sign and another to relace Tony D.
holytoledo

Chychrun - Seider could be one of the best top pairings in the league. if the price is basically something like Berggren & a first that’s a no-brainer. You could move Ghost then for maybe a 2nd and potentially only drop 15 or so spots.

Not sure bringing in another LD with Edvinsson coming makes a lot of sense, but IDK, he could start on the 3rd pair and then when Wallman expires we could look to move him and let him walk.
Pop Zeus

Beggren, at 23, and still in the AHL. Not sure he has a lot of value.
I think the Sens would try to move Chabot.
Fil Zaronek

DocBrown wrote: Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:02 pm The genius of the Cat to get outta Dodge while the getting was good. Kubalik looks to be having a not so great year. What a trash dump. BTW.....in other news.....Hughes pulling Hronek along. Chychrun not all that great....

I think 31 is great. There are 32 teams in the league so someteams don't even have a defenseman that is as good.
DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Jan 20, 2024 10:31 am Beggren, at 23, and still in the AHL. Not sure he has a lot of value.
I think the Sens would try to move Chabot.
Chabot would be the one to move, but it sounds like they would have to eat some salary to do it! He has 4 more seasons after this one at $8M per! If Chychrun does not go at the TDL, maybe Chabot after the season would be easier, but not easy. His 10 team no-trade kicks in July 1.