Forecasting the Red Wings

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

cska91 wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 8:07 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:17 pm
cska91 wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 8:17 pm Obviously, I was dead wrong about the Wings in March. They were shit and lost pretty much everything. It's the Sabres and Coyotes game that will end up biting them in the ass, though. Given their performance in March, I have very little faith in them being able to put it together in the month of April and actually save the season.

4/1 @Lightning L
4/5 Rangers L
4/7 Sabres L
4/9 Capitals OTL
4/11 @ Penguins L
4/13 @ Maple Leafs L
4/15 Canadiens W
4/16 @ Canadiens W

2-5-1 for the month... miss the playoffs.
"It doesn't mean shit." Andrew Copp
I think he is talking about your picks! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Your 1st pick is wrong and I hope 3 more of those loses are as well!!!! The heart attack kids are back! :lol:
I don't know what I enjoyed more... your youthful exuberance... your geriatric ambivalence and detachment from reality... or maybe your juvenile trolling. This is something I will ponder in the weeks and months ahead. Regardless, the Tampa win was a gift. Cardiac kids got lucky. Plus, Lyon stood on his head. Good for them and all, but they haven't shown anything to believe they can consistently win against good teams. Hence, the prediction...
That is why they play the game, my friend.

DelHowLich

We need to remind ourselves where the Wings are at right now. The Wings are playing meaningful hockey in April — which has been a novel concept for this franchise for some time now. Even if the team makes it to the first round and gets their asses kicked, it’s a step in the right direction.
CoconutBackwards

DelHowLich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:04 am We need to remind ourselves where the Wings are at right now. The Wings are playing meaningful hockey in April — which has been a novel concept for this franchise for some time now. Even if the team makes it to the first round and gets their asses kicked, it’s a step in the right direction.
Disagreed.

I have no interest in watching the Wings move right back into that twenty plus year cycle of them making the playoffs then getting their doors blown off in the first round.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:04 am We need to remind ourselves where the Wings are at right now. The Wings are playing meaningful hockey in April — which has been a novel concept for this franchise for some time now. Even if the team makes it to the first round and gets their asses kicked, it’s a step in the right direction.
Shortsighted.
We could have played meaningful hockey in March/April in Yzerman's year one if he signed free agents and had a decent coach.

Big deal. He's scrambling for the playoffs in year 5 with a total of 21 rookie games.
That will pacify know-nothings - the types who want to fire Yzerman for not trading for big names at the deadline.
EuroMan

Agree! Plus, they are much more entertaining and barrable to watch for 2/3 of the games this season compared to the last 5 or more.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:27 pm
Shortsighted.
We could have played meaningful hockey in March/April in Yzerman's year one if he signed free agents and had a decent coach.

Big deal. He's scrambling for the playoffs in year 5 with a total of 21 rookie games.
That will pacify know-nothings - the types who want to fire Yzerman for not trading for big names at the deadline.
Debrincat and Compher are the only players on the roster right of significance now vs. this time last year that could be around the next time the Wings win a cup. When you factor in the subtraction of Hronek, we got one player closer towards a cup this year.

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
—— ——- ——-
Rasmussen - Compher - Copp
—— Veleno ——

Wallman - Seider
Edvinsson - —
— — —

Is what we look like as far as pieces on a contender go.

We can fill some of that in with prospects, but the only one that got a sniff of the NHL this year is Berggren and it’s questionable if he has a future with the org.

Kasper, Mazur and Johansson all have shots at seeing the NHL next year, but none appear ready to move the needle.

The only long term effects from this year are we’ll be picking 14-20 instead of top 10, we added a top 6 winger and we lost a top 4 d-man in his prime.

Maybe in 2 years we can see:

Debrincat - Larkin - Raymond
— Kasper - Danielson
Rasmussen - Compher - Copp
Mazur - Veleno —

Walman - Seider
Edvinsson - ASP
Johansson - —-

Cossa

That’s not impressive results for 7 years. Some UFAs or trades will change that but the moves that are keeping us out of the elite talent pool in the draft, compounded by our overly cautious draft strategy are really holding us back.
Pop Zeus

Current projection
Wildcard
1/ Tampa 103 - Cruising.
2. Detroit 90 - Win against the Rangers would be massive.
3. Wash 89 - Falling behind. But they lost a game they were expected to lose.
4. Islanders 89 - Staying close. Almost choked vs Chicago.
--
5. NJ 84 - Big choke last time out.
6. Buff 83 - Surprisingly lopsided win vs Washington - but they were expected to win
7. Penguins 83 - Winning games they shouldn't win - could make things interesting if they get seriously hot.
Machine

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:50 pm Current projection
Wildcard
1/ Tampa 103 - Cruising.
--
6. Buff 83 - Surprisingly lopsided win vs Washington - but they were expected to win
7. Penguins 83 - Winning games they shouldn't win - could make things interesting if they get seriously hot.
So you have the Flyers in
Man I’m no good at this, I’m just glad to be watching games that matter for now
I’m just hoping for some good play this weekend
Pop Zeus

Machine wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 4:10 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:50 pm Current projection
Wildcard
1/ Tampa 103 - Cruising.
--
So you have the Flyers in
Man I’m no good at this, I’m just glad to be watching games that matter for now
I’m just hoping for some good play this weekend
I have the Flyers at 92 points.
But those are projections based on how things looked 2-3 weeks ago.
At this point, the Flyers could easily fall out.
CoconutBackwards

Who knows what the hell is going on in New Jersey. They were 3rd overall in points at the end of last season and now it looks like they won't make the playoffs.

And holy shit does it ever suck that Boston is still #1 in their division. We were all sucking each others' dicks in here when Krejci retired and it looks like that didn't matter at all.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady