Next season's lines...

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Around the league hockey fans are laughing at Yzerman and Detroit. Safe to say his reputation has taken a hit.

thanson

So by my count we have 23 forwards, 14 defensemen and 4 goalies locked up right now with four RFA options still unannounced.

C: Larkin, Copp, Kasper, Compher, Czarnik, Lombardi, Doucet, (Veleno)
L: Kubalik, Fabbri, Rasmussen, Kostin, Soderlom, Mazur, Hirose, Hanas, Gettinger
R: Raymond, Perron, Zadina, Fischer, Sprong, Berggren, Luff

D: Walman, Gostisbehere, Maatta, Edvisson, Johansson, Wallinder, Sebrango, Viro, (McIsaac)
D: Seider, Chiarot, Holl, Lindstrom, Rafferty, Tuomisto, (Newpower)

G: Husso, Reimer, Lyon, Costa, (Lethemon)

Is there a rule about how many players need to be on an AHL only contracts in Grand Rapids? If Veleno is resigned that would mean 15 forwards. Baring injuries, is there any developmental benefit in having Berggren or Kasper in Grand Rapids? They seem to have 9 AHL defensemen as well if Edvinsson starts in Grand Rapids. Who would start the year in Toledo? Finally, if they resign Lethemon for Toledo will Cossa spend a full year the AHL as the #4 with Lyon being the first call up?
Machine

My hopes are getting dashed
Last hope, kids outplay these vets
Just don’t give me that tie goes to the vet bullshit
Barbrady

If you had told me back in 2019 when Steve Yzerman became the GM, that within 5 years the Detroit Lions would fire their GM and head coach, completely tear down the roster including their star QB, and would have a winning season and be favorited to win their division before the Red Wings I'd have laughed in your face.

Yet here we are. The Yzerplan doesn't seem all that different from what Holland was doing. If the goal is to suck and bring in mediocre guys on one year deals to flip at the deadline for midround picks, why bother extending Larkin? What the hell are we doing?
WaveRider_71

holytoledo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:55 pm Ras - Larkin - Perron
Kasper - Compher - Raymond
Kubalik - Copp - Sprong
Berggren - Veleno - Fabbri
Zadina

Wallman - Seider
Edvinsson - Ghost
Chiarot - Holl
Maatta - Lindstrom

Husso
Reimer

That’s what it’s looking like to me.

Not as good as last year’s team. Perron, Kubalik & Ghost all deadline trade bait.

That leaves some openings for next year when we celebrate Celebrini.

I think we’re a bottom 5 team right now.
Except it should be Piisburgh’s turn to “win” the lottery. ;)
holytoledo

WaveRider_71 wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 5:23 pm
holytoledo wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 12:55 pm Ras - Larkin - Perron
Kasper - Compher - Raymond
Kubalik - Copp - Sprong
Berggren - Veleno - Fabbri
Zadina

Wallman - Seider
Edvinsson - Ghost
Chiarot - Holl
Maatta - Lindstrom

Husso
Reimer

That’s what it’s looking like to me.

Not as good as last year’s team. Perron, Kubalik & Ghost all deadline trade bait.

That leaves some openings for next year when we celebrate Celebrini.

I think we’re a bottom 5 team right now.
Except it should be Piisburgh’s turn to “win” the lottery. ;)
I forgot Kostyn too.
DocBrown

.... and the season after next the number 2 and number 3 goal scorers from last year are UFAs. Probably would be a good idea to see who can play in the system rather than drain more of the bank and playtime on journeyman types. Don't see wisdom or creativity from the guys in charge.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk
cska91

Pop Zeus wrote: Sun Jul 02, 2023 1:37 pm Around the league hockey fans are laughing at Yzerman and Detroit. Safe to say his reputation has taken a hit.
I am laughing with them and I had a lot of respect for Yzerman and his track record in Tampa. But you gotta ask at this point, if a lot of what he did in Tampa was good fortune.

https://youtu.be/CWvkAdLC1o4?t=118

It's hard to see how the Compher and Holl deals will work out for the Wings. I am fine with all the other signings, but these two deals just don't make sense. It feels like the team took a step back this year.
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
hiramnicak

i’m curious to see who the pairs are on opening night. on paper, i think this defense is better than last season’s.

where does gostisbehere slot in? he’s a better player than hronek. better defensively. better offensively. he’s gotten norris votes in the past. his last couple seasons indicate he’s bounced back from thay slump he went through in philly. depending on whether you split walman and seider, i could see either of these options:

gostisbehere - seider
edvinsson - chiarot
walman - holl
maatta - lindstrom

walman - seider
edvinsson - gostisbehere
chiarot - holl
maatta - lindstrom

that cherry hole would be the scapegoat all season, but given bottom pairing assignments, they’d probably fair fine. i’d rather gostisbehere on second pair with edvinsson than chiarot.
holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:23 am i’m curious to see who the pairs are on opening night. on paper, i think this defense is better than last season’s.

where does gostisbehere slot in? he’s a better player than hronek. better defensively. better offensively. he’s gotten norris votes in the past. his last couple seasons indicate he’s bounced back from thay slump he went through in philly. depending on whether you split walman and seider, i could see either of these options:

gostisbehere - seider
edvinsson - chiarot
walman - holl
maatta - lindstrom

walman - seider
edvinsson - gostisbehere
chiarot - holl
maatta - lindstrom

that cherry hole would be the scapegoat all season, but given bottom pairing assignments, they’d probably fair fine. i’d rather gostisbehere on second pair with edvinsson than chiarot.
I think saying Ghost is better than Hronek is a stretch. Hronek is way more physical and PKs. Over the last 3 year’s production is about identical, but Ghost gets more goals and has a better shot. Ghost is actually also smaller. I think, assuming he plays RD he is an adequate replacement for sure. If we flip him I’d even view that return as an extension of the Hronek deal. If we sign him with term at 32 years old, I won’t.