Around the NHL '23-'24

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

Yotes buying out Galchenyuk barely two weeks after they signed him after his arrest over the weekend.

https://www.tsn.ca/nhl/arizona-coyotes- ... -1.1983913
A Scottsdale Police Department spokesperson said Thursday that Galchenyuk was arrested Sunday on charges of private property hit and run, disorderly conduct, failure to obey, resisting arrest and threatening or intimidating. The spokesperson said the hit and run was only property damage and no injuries occurred.

Galchenyuk was booked into the Scottsdale city jail on misdemeanor charges and released the next day on his own recognizance.

“The Arizona Coyotes have placed forward Alex Galchenyuk on unconditional waivers for purposes of terminating his contract,” the team said in a statement Thursday. “The Club will have no further comment at this time.”

The NHL Players Association said it is reviewing the matter.

The Coyotes signed Galchenyuk to a one-year, $775,000 contract July 1, the opening of free agency, for his third stint with the team.

Pop Zeus

Well, the Galchenyuk career is starting to make sense.
Zattaman

Flyers buying out Deangelo. He was in the 2nd/final year of a 5M contract.

He's always been very productive, but has trouble sticking around.
dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:26 pm Flyers buying out Deangelo. He was in the 2nd/final year of a 5M contract.

He must be some kind of giant asshole or something for teams constantly getting rid of him quickly despite producing with whatever team he is with.
Zattaman

dcz28 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:43 pm
Zattaman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:26 pm Flyers buying out Deangelo. He was in the 2nd/final year of a 5M contract.

He must be some kind of giant asshole or something for teams constantly getting rid of him quickly despite producing with whatever team he is with.
My guess is he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Torts scratched him in the final 5 games of the season. Flyers have been trying to trade him in June, but couldn't.
dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 3:56 pm
dcz28 wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:43 pm

My guess is he doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut. Torts scratched him in the final 5 games of the season. Flyers have been trying to trade him in June, but couldn't.
Teams often put up with a lot of shit from players that can produce but this guy can barely make it a year before teams have had enough of him.
holytoledo

Aho extended at 8x9.75. He’s got one year left on his current deal.
Pop Zeus

Aho is good, but that feels like overpay, pretty easily.
His stats, over the past 4-5 years, are better than Larkin's. And he's a full year younger than Larkin.
But he doesn't seem particularly dynamic when I watch (mostly in the playoffs).
Zattaman

Dubas crowns himself the GM of the Penguins. Hired as the president, apparently he "couldn't find" a good candidate to fill in the role of the GM.
"At this time, I feel it is best for continuity that I formally continue in both roles as president and general manager in the hockey operations department," Dubas said in a statement. "We will continue to reevaluate the GM position alongside all others in future off-seasons, to ensure that we are optimizing all facets of the department.
DelHowLich

Zattaman wrote: Fri Aug 04, 2023 11:13 am Dubas crowns himself the GM of the Penguins. Hired as the president, apparently he "couldn't find" a good candidate to fill in the role of the GM.
"At this time, I feel it is best for continuity that I formally continue in both roles as president and general manager in the hockey operations department," Dubas said in a statement. "We will continue to reevaluate the GM position alongside all others in future off-seasons, to ensure that we are optimizing all facets of the department.
Self-proclaimed Emperor Penguin! :lol: