AHL Start of the Season = Feb 5th

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

The AHL just announced that they pushed the start of the season to February 5th.

No doubt NHL will follow suit. They both need to be in sync unless NHL changes rules with regards to roster moves, salary cap, max number of players, etc. -- which would be a monumental task.

So, one step closer to a shortened/cancelled season.

https://theahl.com/2020-21-start-date-moved-feb-5

Pop Zeus

I don't see how the AHL is going to have a season to be honest.
PolarBear

I wonder if they will use this tentative start for the AHL to assist in determining the start date for the NHL? I honestly think having the NHL start early January is a huge stretch. Having the NHL start by beginning of February? Sounds more practical to me. *shrugs*
“Keep swingin’, maybe you’ll give them a cold” — Gordon Bombay
holytoledo

Doesn’t the AHL generally lag behind the NHL anyway, waiting for final cuts and such?
jaster

I don’t see the AHL having any meaningful influence over the NHL in terms of when they start.

I also don’t see the AHL having a season at all.
cska91

What is the reason for the AHL to have games without fans? There's no national sponsors, no network TV rights...
"It doesn't mean shit."
Andrew Copp
holytoledo

cska91 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 pm What is the reason for the AHL to have games without fans? There's no national sponsors, no network TV rights...
I’m sure all of the parent clubs want them to play and may even be willing to subsidize it. If they don’t play teams will need to be able to keep probably at least another 10 or so players around and keep them practicing and in game shape just to be able to ice a squad. The possibility of the AHL not playing does make Stevie’s roster moves make more sense. Seems like 20 forwards, 10 defenseman and 4 goalies would be reasonable numbers to have on hand if there’s no AHL to call players up from.
_sg_

cska91 wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 9:18 pm What is the reason for the AHL to have games without fans? There's no national sponsors, no network TV rights...
That's what I was going to say.

There might be some pressure from NHL teams, because the farm is a useful part of operations, but they could just expand the NHL roster by a few spots. Many top-flight prospects who the team wouldn't want sitting on the couch for a year are already playing elsewhere.
_sg_

Zattaman wrote: Wed Oct 28, 2020 5:38 pm The AHL just announced that they pushed the start of the season to February 5th.

No doubt NHL will follow suit. They both need to be in sync unless NHL changes rules with regards to roster moves, salary cap, max number of players, etc. -- which would be a monumental task.

So, one step closer to a shortened/cancelled season.

https://theahl.com/2020-21-start-date-moved-feb-5
it seems like you could have a set number of players (HT's #s sound good to me) that practice with the Wings, but are still virtually on the Griffins. Cap and waivers could stay the same.

They might want to relax waiver rules for covid anyway.
MDWingsFan

I wouldnt' be surprised if they model the MLB with rosters. Teams were allowed to keep a taxi squad, then they used some form of minor league teams, only a few, to let guys play in spring training mode all season. Something like 10 extra players and and an extra goalie might be enough. Put the next tier of call ups in a 4-6 team AHL, and play hockey. Eventually, we're all going to have to learn to live with this as its never going away, even with a vaccine COVID's going to kick about for decades.