What do you give up for Mark Schiefele?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
blueadams

He seems to be the odd man out in WIN (or at least the first man out).

30yrs old and a FA next yr. A bad defensive player. Maybe an attitude issue (or was that just a WIN issue?).

But 42 goals is 42 goals (68pts). Idk how he is on the wing, but at 6-3, 200lbs he could certainly be an asset as a top-6 LW with better defensive players in the middle (Larkin, Kasper, Copp).

And maybe he could be signed reasonably to a 5yr extension?

#18 might be an overpayment. Our first 2nd and a throw-in might get it done.

I'd applaud the move with an extension.

Pop Zeus

30 years old.
About to be a UFA.
Meh.
This team is not good enough to start paying assets for 30-year-old about-to-be-UFAs.

The young core - Kasper-Raymond-Seider-Edvinsson - They're the ones who will signal when that time comes.
blueadams

Pop Zeus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:16 am 30 years old.
About to be a UFA.
Meh.
This team is not good enough to start paying assets for 30-year-old about-to-be-UFAs.

The young core - Kasper-Raymond-Seider-Edvinsson - They're the ones who will signal when that time comes.
Really?

McDavid
Pastrnak
Rantanen
Draisaitil
Point
Thompson
Robertson
J Hughes

^ That's the entire list of NHL players who scored more goals than Schiefele this season.

If Copp and Chiarot vouch for him as a lockeroom guy. If he agrees to a pre-trade 5yr extension at 9M/yr (through his 35th bday). You don't trade a 2nd and a 3rd for him?

As a center he's not great defensively. But as a LW he may actually be a plus defensively. And he could age better there too.

As of now our highest scoring LHWinger is either Rasmussen or Berggren.

I'd make that deal a million times over.
DelHowLich

I do not think a 2nd and a 3rd gets Scheifele........a 2nd and Bergren or Veleno is more of what they accept. I don't want to give up on them yet.
I find this more intriguing:
"In a recent article summarizing the end of the season for the Tampa Bay Lightning, writer Eduardo A. Encina of the Tampa Bay Times adds an interesting note about the Lightning’s pending unrestricted free agents heading into the offseason. Although already signing trade deadline acquisition Michael Eyssimont to a contract extension yesterday, it appears that General Manager Julien BriseBois has an interest in retaining all of the Lightning’s soon-to-be free agents, as he has reached out to all of their agents already. Players such as Alex Killorn, Corey Perry, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Ian Cole, and Brian Elliott are all slated to hit the open market on July 1st."

I guess Cerelli and Ross can come to Detroit for picks........
or is Stammer or Hedman trade bait???? :o
blueadams

You wouldn't give up a 2nd and Veleno for a top-10 NHL scorer?? Are you nuts?
DelHowLich

On second thought, they would not want a 2nd and Veleno. They would want a 1st and Veleno and another middling pick or prospect. TOO much! Yes they would want 3 assets! They do not need to do a cap dump so the price would be higher than anything you have offered.
Pop Zeus

blueadams wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:45 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 1:16 am 30 years old.
About to be a UFA.
Meh.

Really?

McDavid
Pastrnak
Rantanen
Draisaitil
Point
Thompson
Robertson
J Hughes

^ That's the entire list of NHL players who scored more goals than Schiefele this season.

If Copp and Chiarot vouch for him as a lockeroom guy. If he agrees to a pre-trade 5yr extension at 9M/yr (through his 35th bday). You don't trade a 2nd and a 3rd for him?

As a center he's not great defensively. But as a LW he may actually be a plus defensively. And he could age better there too.

As of now our highest scoring LHWinger is either Rasmussen or Berggren.

I'd make that deal a million times over.
Yes, but I don't want - 2-3 years from now - to pay $18M a year for declining assets in Larkin and Scheifele.
That's losing hockey management.
You don't buy up people's 30s.
You buy up their 20s.

Buying up the 30s is how you guarantee mediocrity.

If we were a center away from contending for the cup? Sure.
But now?
All we get is maybe a playoff berth/maybe not.
And then we're stuck we aging, overpaid centers as the team gets good (if they get good).
dcz28

DelHowLich wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:10 am I do not think a 2nd and a 3rd gets Scheifele........a 2nd and Bergren or Veleno is more of what they accept. I don't want to give up on them yet.
"In a recent article summarizing the end of the season for the Tampa Bay Lightning, writer Eduardo A. Encina of the Tampa Bay Times adds an interesting note about the Lightning’s pending unrestricted free agents heading into the offseason. Although already signing trade deadline acquisition Michael Eyssimont to a contract extension yesterday, it appears that General Manager Julien BriseBois has an interest in retaining all of the Lightning’s soon-to-be free agents, as he has reached out to all of their agents already. Players such as Alex Killorn, Corey Perry, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare, Ian Cole, and Brian Elliott are all slated to hit the open market on July 1st."

Not sure i would want Cirelli with his new contract. 6.25 mil cap hit for a 40 point guy seems expensive plus he has 13 mil in signing bonuses for the next 2 years with an 8 million salary the year after that.
DelHowLich

dcz28 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:06 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 8:10 am I do not think a 2nd and a 3rd gets Scheifele........a 2nd and Bergren or Veleno is more of what they accept. I don't want to give up on them yet.

Not sure i would want Cirelli with his new contract. 6.25 mil cap hit for a 40 point guy seems expensive plus he has 13 mil in signing bonuses for the next 2 years with an 8 million salary the year after that.
Maybe they move him to Colo, I hear they need a 2C
DelHowLich

Now, I am thinking they trade an AHLer for Shea Weber's contract ad re-sign Kilorn.