GDT: Stanley Cup Playoffs

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:55 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:00 am Why does the NHL want Toronto to win?
What's the payoff?
Toronto is the biggest market the NHL has! It is all about the MONEY!
And? Toronto is the biggest hockey market whether they lose in Round 1 or Round 2.

I think the NHL would rather have Boston or New York come out of the East - for ratings.
Carolina or Tampa would continue to foster the game in non traditional markets.

I just don't think there's that much incentive in the New York offices of the NHL to have Toronto go far.
Certainly not enough to influence officiating.

El Jefe

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:55 am
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 10:00 am Why does the NHL want Toronto to win?
What's the payoff?
Toronto is the biggest market the NHL has! It is all about the MONEY!
Toronto was the biggest market in the NHL last year, too. And the year before that, and the year before that, and...
dcz28

Right now i just want the Islanders to lose tonight. I don't really care who plays who or who wins really although i always enjoy seeing the Leafs lose. I'm kind of hoping for Tampa to come back and win the series just to see Leaf fans have a complete melt down like they did when Boston came back to take them out years ago.
Pop Zeus

Vilardi looks like a poor man's Draisaitl out there.
Doesn't have Drai's power or straight-forward brutishness but man is he good.
DelHowLich

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 12:01 am Vilardi looks like a poor man's Draisaitl out there.
Doesn't have Drai's power or straight-forward brutishness but man is he good.
Wings could have had him at #9.....he does have back issues, one check away from a long recovery. I wanted him for the Wings.
wyrrlen

Thanks to Aho's face, we have to wait another game for the Islanders to lose to the Hurricanes. Now if the Panthers win tonight then we can still cling to hope that our #18 pick could become a #17.
DelHowLich

wyrrlen wrote: Wed Apr 26, 2023 10:16 am Thanks to Aho's face, we have to wait another game for the Islanders to lose to the Hurricanes. Now if the Panthers win tonight then we can still cling to hope that our #18 pick could become a #17.
That and HT picking them in Survivor! :D :D
Wizard of Corsica

I am a fan of the Sean McDonough broadcast.

Bertuzzi with a terrible turnover leads to the first Panther goal. Boston carried the play, but was brain dead.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
DelHowLich

THE SCORE: Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Jon Cooper denied what Red Wing coach (and former Lightning assistant coach) Derek Lalonde said about Bolts goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy on national TV.

Appearing on Sportsnet providing in-studio analysis, Lalonde claimed the Lightning restructured its defensive coverage during his tenure in Tampa Bay to compensate for Vasilevskiy’s apparent difficulty in tracking shots from long range.

Cooper suggested Lalonde made up the anecdote. “Sportsnet is paying him well to go give an opinion, so he’s got to make something up about that kind of stuff,” he said.

It is going to be interesting tonight as Newsy appears on SportsNet's broadcast of the game.
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 8:50 am THE SCORE: Tampa Bay Lightning head coach Jon Cooper denied what Red Wing coach (and former Lightning assistant coach) Derek Lalonde said about Bolts goaltender Andrei Vasilevskiy on national TV.

Appearing on Sportsnet providing in-studio analysis, Lalonde claimed the Lightning restructured its defensive coverage during his tenure in Tampa Bay to compensate for Vasilevskiy’s apparent difficulty in tracking shots from long range.

Cooper suggested Lalonde made up the anecdote. “Sportsnet is paying him well to go give an opinion, so he’s got to make something up about that kind of stuff,” he said.

It is going to be interesting tonight as Newsy appears on SportsNet's broadcast of the game.
Clearly Cooper is just trying to keep the lid on that and Newsy spilled the beans.