Vrana on the Wings

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo

From the outside looking in, this appears to be 100% accurate.

5 goals and 1 assist in 7 games with St. Louis.
martin1259

Who cares anymore - Old news - move on.
MDWingsFan

"Things happened in my career" and Detroit didn't take it well. That screams some conduct detrimental to the team. Maybe showed up stoned or drunk to practice/game? I'm sure getting hurt over the summer, and showing up requiring surgery last season didn't help. Clearly something happened, and to an extent it doesn't sound like Vrana took responsibility other an "X happened and I expected to come back and have everything forgotten." The team felt differently.
holytoledo

MDWingsFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am "Things happened in my career" and Detroit didn't take it well. That screams some conduct detrimental to the team. Maybe showed up stoned or drunk to practice/game? I'm sure getting hurt over the summer, and showing up requiring surgery last season didn't help. Clearly something happened, and to an extent it doesn't sound like Vrana took responsibility other an "X happened and I expected to come back and have everything forgotten." The team felt differently.
It’s known he had a substance abuse issue. Not really sure the issue requiring surgery was a surprise or how it would have had any bearing here.

Yzerman - definitely seems best for Vrana to have gotten a clean start elsewhere.
MDWingsFan

holytoledo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:56 pm
MDWingsFan wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:49 am "Things happened in my career" and Detroit didn't take it well. That screams some conduct detrimental to the team. Maybe showed up stoned or drunk to practice/game? I'm sure getting hurt over the summer, and showing up requiring surgery last season didn't help. Clearly something happened, and to an extent it doesn't sound like Vrana took responsibility other an "X happened and I expected to come back and have everything forgotten." The team felt differently.
It’s known he had a substance abuse issue. Not really sure the issue requiring surgery was a surprise or how it would have had any bearing here.

Yzerman - definitely seems best for Vrana to have gotten a clean start elsewhere.
Only reason I bring up the surgery/injury is it seems suspicious to show up to camp hurt, try to play through it, and require nearly season ending surgery. From the get go it sounded fishy. Also, its possible his issue reignited with the post surgical pain killers he was likely given. Overall, its best he moved, on. Hopefully he keeps his demons under control, and has a productive career.
Fil Zaronek

Based on what he has done with the Wings, I think Yzerman must have been very lucky to have built a team as good as the Lightning or had a very good advisor.
DocBrown

holytoledo wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:56 pm

Yes, Price voluntarily 'entered' the player's assistance program claiming mental health and substance abuse issues. Vrana.......

'Vrana's case is somewhat different, as the NHL says he was placed in the program rather than entering voluntarily. But all hockey fans can hope for is that Vrana finds the help he needs in order to live a healthy and fulfilling life – both on and off the ice.'

https://thehockeynews.com/news/red-wing ... ce-program
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Zattaman

A lot of kids on this team. Easy to influence, easy to lead astray. Yzerman has been around guys like Probert and has first hand knowledge how the team mishandled Probert's substance abuse problems. Guys with character issues, no matter how good of a player, do not belong on a rebuilding team.
Barbrady

Woke Steve Yzerman cancel cultured Jakub Vrana :evil: