SG's machine learning project takes on the 2020 draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
_sg_

Thanks for posting.

Wasn't exactly thrilled to see Hanas rated so low by the model, but we'll see what happens.

I'm probably going to remove Miller from the list of underrated picks, yeesh.

I'd like this project a lot more if I could get better results for defensemen, but in general, things have been improving with each release. I have some other trickery to try for next year, but without solid data for this season in the leagues of interest, this project may have to take a year off.
hiramnicak

_sg_ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:03 pm Thanks for posting.

Wasn't exactly thrilled to see Hanas rated so low by the model, but we'll see what happens.

I'd like this project a lot more if I could get better results for defensemen, but in general, things have been improving with each release. I have some other trickery to try for next year, but without solid data for this season in the leagues of interest, this project may have to take a year off.
I had Miller as a DND. He's a talented player, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. The PR backlash alone wouldn't be worth it, but I can't imagine he's a welcome presence in the locker room either.
_sg_

tarohirose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 7:37 pm

I had Miller as a DND. He's a talented player, but I wouldn't want him anywhere near my team. The PR backlash alone wouldn't be worth it, but I can't imagine he's a welcome presence in the locker room either.
You knew about this incident before the draft? Or there's other negative stuff out there about him?
hiramnicak

_sg_ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:00 pm

You knew about this incident before the draft? Or there's other negative stuff out there about him?
Going to juvie for ongoing abuse of a mentally handicapped kid? That laundry's been airing out for months.
jaster

When you read the whole story, seems fairly clear he’s not remorseful. Whether or not he’s the same level of shitbag he was 4 years ago, who knows, but he does seem to still be a shitbag.
Attachments
2A70F191-25AC-4413-80F5-E5C285EC8812.jpeg
2A70F191-25AC-4413-80F5-E5C285EC8812.jpeg (249.84 KiB) Viewed 5215 times
_sg_

tarohirose wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:55 pm
_sg_ wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:00 pm

Going to juvie for ongoing abuse of a mentally handicapped kid? That laundry's been airing out for months.
I see,I had just read the headlines earlier and wasn't sure this was widely known before the draft.

The coyotes might have been trying to make up for their forfeited pick and ended up doubling down on their ineptitude.
_sg_

jaster wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 9:57 pm When you read the whole story, seems fairly clear he’s not remorseful. Whether or not he’s the same level of shitbag he was 4 years ago, who knows, but he does seem to still be a shitbag.
He's really going quantity over quality here. I've seen like 3 or 4 letters from him, and yeah, they seem like they kinda miss the point. Kinda felt sick when he referred to his victim as his friend, wtf. His latest letter just kinda felt like I'll go through whatever motions I need to to keep playing hockey. doesn't really seem like he gets it.
holytoledo

The kid that Miller bullied is the adopted son of a guy who was a year behind me in high school. He was an outstanding high school goalie and occasionally dressed as the emergency back up for the Toledo Storm way back in the day. Small world.
Pop Zeus

I'm having a hard time joining the sanctimonious harping about Mitchell Miller.
Yeah, what he did was fucking awful.
But he was 14.
The amount of maturing between 14 and 18 is immense.
Who knows what kind of mental health help the guy received or is receiving as a result.

But there are a lot of actors just exploiting this bullshit to make themselves look good.
Starting with this putz.

End of the day, if you interview the kid and you think he's grown up, why wouldn't you spend a 4th round pick on him?
To punish him? Who say's he's not been punished?
For PR purposes?

There are a lot of snotty asshats in youth hockey. Upper-middle class alphas who nobody keeps in check.

I really don't get how anyone is served by contact a mentally challenged kid to interview him and his mom about watching the kid's bully get drafted by a pro hockey team.