Walman or Mattaa. Who should be brought back next yr?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

holytoledo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 2:35 pm
blueadams wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:03 am Pretty wild that Walman's now playing on the 1st pair w Seider...and the 1st pk with Hronek...and the 2nd pp.

It'd be surprising to see him moved.

Chiarot playing 3rd pair minutes w Oesterle and 2nd pk. If Steve can find someone willing to take on his contract, I think he's given...not traded...away.

I like the edge he brings to the team. But how can a non-offensive defenseman in the NHL possibly be so dumb still? He's lost his spot to a guy on a 2-way contract
Chiarot got Montreal a nice haul at the deadline last year. I think he had more value as an expiring UFA though. Given his contract and play this year, kinda doubt we’d find a taker. Wonder if we could make a hockey trade with Philly centered around Chiarot and Hayes.
Ekholm is available now, Chiarot and a 3rd for Ekholm? He is 32 and has 3 years left after this one at$6.25M AAV

holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:03 pm
blueadams wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 6:03 am Pretty wild that Walman's now playing on the 1st pair w Seider...and the 1st pk with Hronek...and the 2nd pp.

It'd be surprising to see him moved.

Chiarot playing 3rd pair minutes w Oesterle and 2nd pk. If Steve can find someone willing to take on his contract, I think he's given...not traded...away.

I like the edge he brings to the team. But how can a non-offensive defenseman in the NHL possibly be so dumb still? He's lost his spot to a guy on a 2-way contract
Chiarot got Montreal a nice haul at the deadline last year. I think he had more value as an expiring UFA though. Given his contract and play this year, kinda doubt we’d find a taker. Wonder if we could make a hockey trade with Philly centered around Chiarot and Hayes.
Ekholm is available now, Chiarot and a 3rd for Ekholm? He is 32 and has 3 years left after this one at$6.25M AAV
He’s already starting to decline, but would be a big upgrade for us. I don’t think the Preds would be interested in Chiarot and his deal, though, not for a third. Chiarot’s a cap dump. We’d probably have to give a third just to move him and get maybe a 7th or washed out prospect in return. He’s got negative value right now.

If Nashville moves Ekholm they’ll want a significant return - not a 3rd and a bottom pair D with term that only saves them like 2.5 mil in cap space.

Some contender would love to add Ekholm to their top 4.
DelHowLich

holytoledo wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:21 pm
DelHowLich wrote: Tue Jan 03, 2023 11:03 pm

He’s already starting to decline, but would be a big upgrade for us. I don’t think the Preds would be interested in Chiarot and his deal, though, not for a third. Chiarot’s a cap dump. We’d probably have to give a third just to move him and get maybe a 7th or washed out prospect in return. He’s got negative value right now.

If Nashville moves Ekholm they’ll want a significant return - not a 3rd and a bottom pair D with term that only saves them like 2.5 mil in cap space.

Some contender would love to add Ekholm to their top 4.
I really did not think Chiarot was that bad already, Lalonde has been mixing the pairings, nothing is set in stone. In fact on other RW sites Chiarot is listed as 2nd pairing still.
Machine

Ben C has been okay
I really doubt Yzerman is going to sign then trade someone though with Stevie one never knows what he is up to
Pop Zeus

Even strength
Chiarot 2-7-9 -10
Seider 2-5-7 -13

Stop the Chiarot nonsense.

Chiarot should be with Hronek. Hronek's game needs what Chiarot brings. Seider's does not.
Maatta or Walman with Seider.
Machine

I’ve been waiting on seeing Maata with Seider
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:19 pm Even strength
Chiarot 2-7-9 -10
Seider 2-5-7 -13

Chiarot should be with Hronek. Hronek's game needs what Chiarot brings. Seider's does not.
If Chiarot wants to start playing like Chiarot sure. If he wants to keep playing like an offensive defenseman - that doesn’t put up points - not so much.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 3:40 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Jan 04, 2023 2:19 pm Even strength
Chiarot 2-7-9 -10
Seider 2-5-7 -13

If Chiarot wants to start playing like Chiarot sure. If he wants to keep playing like an offensive defenseman - that doesn’t put up points - not so much.
He's not an offensive defenseman or defensive defenseman.
He's a big, physical defenseman who plays hard and has flaws.
His offense is better than most believe.
His defense can have issues at times.

But his GA/60 is better than Seider's.

Everyone wants to blame Chiarot for Seider's sucky second season. But all you have to do is watch Seider to realize he's the main reason for his decline.

Chiarot is a big, two-way, minute-eating, physical defenseman who skates really well for his size.
If he had high IQ, he'd be making 10M a year.

On our defense:
He leads the team in hits
He's second in blocked shots.
He's third worse in GA/60
He has the lowest O-zone face percentage.
He's tied with Seider in shots/60 at 4.5 - middle of the D.

His giveaways/60 is lowest on the defense (Seider is at 1.4, Chiarot is at .73)

He and Seider are both at 6.8 hits/60.

Always seemed like too much of the same thing on the Seider-Chiarot pairing.
Now that the Maatta-Hronek pairing is broken up, it's time to put Chiarot there.