Red Wings as Sellers in the Trade Market

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Fil Zaronek

I don't know why you wouldn't include Copp, Perron, Kubalik, Chiarot and Vrana in the mix. I jknow some of them may have some sort of no-trade clause but players often waive them for a shot at a Cup

Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 11:17 pm I don't know why you wouldn't include Copp, Perron, Kubalik, Chiarot and Vrana in the mix. I jknow some of them may have some sort of no-trade clause but players often waive them for a shot at a Cup
Because those guys just got UFA deals. They aren't going to be traded. Next year for Perron and Kubalik.
Vrana's value is probably low.
Pop Zeus

dcz28 wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 6:18 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:12 pm
El Jefe wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 4:42 pm

Short answer: Probably not.

Long answer: You might win with somebody coming behind Larkin who is your best player. This team isn't winning this year, anyway. You trade away guys like Larkin to playoff teams when guys like Larkin are very seasoned veterans. It gives the guys in our system time to develop, and see what they become. You trade away Larkin when he's 34, not 26.
If Larkin was 23 or 24, I'd be right with you.
Larkin is 26. His next deal starts at 27.
He's at or beyond is peak.
You're going to start seeing the decline at 28-29-30.
And you're going to be paying $9.5M a year for 4 years of declining assets.

If you're Chicago, you have to sign Toews and Kane to deals that kill your ability to have depth needed to win.
How many playoff games have they won since those deals started.
I just don't see much sense in a long-term, hand-tying contract to a C who hasn't helped us do anything, hard as he's worked.

Trade the guy to contender - let him experience real hockey.
Get your assets.
And consider signing him in July if available.

I think our good young guys are good- but I don't think there are any true franchise players among them.
You take a look at the championship teams and they sometimes have two or three franchise-type guys,
So I think we have to keep drafting until we hit on 1 or 2 of those guys.
What you are suggesting will make this team suck for another 5 years maybe more given they never move up in the draft with no guaranty they will even be better later on unless they win the lottery or get very lucky in the draft. Personally i'm not interested in watching this team suck for another 5+ years.

What I am saying is we're going to suck either way. We haven't drafted the kind of players who are going to turn this team around yet. They could help. But I don't think they'll be the Datsyuk or Zetterberg or Lidstrom or Fedorov or Yzerman.

Kasper is going to be a good hockey player - not a superstar.
Raymond is going to be a good winger - not a superstar.
Seider is probably the closest thing to a superstar we have, and I don't think his offensive upside is all that high. Edvinsson seems like a lesser version of Seider - not as ballsy.

Where's our Stamkos?
Our Hedman?
Our Kucherov?

Our Crosby or Malkin?
Wizard of Corsica

I like Maatta and would consider re-signing him at reasonable terms, but the deal he signed seems like both parties want the option for him to be traded.

I did not know much about the guy before this year. Based on his resumé, I am confused why he is only signing 1-year deals at this stage of his career?
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Machine

Definitely sellers unless the Newsy miracle happens
I don’t know about Larkin going just too weak down the middle
Unless like Pops suggested we get a NHL C back
Pop Zeus

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 6:21 am I like Maatta and would consider re-signing him at reasonable terms, but the deal he signed seems like both parties want the option for him to be traded.

I did not know much about the guy before this year. Based on his resumé, I am confused why he is only signing 1-year deals at this stage of his career?
In LA, he was solid, but his footspeed got exposed fairly often in transition.
That hasn't happened a lot in Detroit.
He was better last year than the year before, when he looked rough in LA.
Machine

I wouldn’t be surprised if he is signed playing well with Hronek
Though with Yzerman one never really knows
Pop Zeus

Machine wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:10 pm I wouldn’t be surprised if he is signed playing well with Hronek
Though with Yzerman one never really knows
Definitely.
On LD for next year, Chiarot is a given.
After that, it's wide open.
Walman.
Maatta.
Edvinsson.
McIsaac.
Johansson.

I think Chiarot and one rookie will take 2 of the jobs.
Then it's either Walman, Maatta, another rookie or some UFA - but I doubt we see two rookies.
holytoledo

The Athletic had a write up a little while back projecting where teams would be in the 2025-2026 season. Current roster, prospect pool, staff, ownership and market were the criteria they used IIRC. They have the Wings at 10th. Seems pretty fair. Also that looks like about where this rebuild is gonna peak. Larkin will be 30 then. Our rebuild wasn’t aggressive enough. We didn’t acquire many extra firsts throughout, passed on some huge potential home runs like Raty and our biggest position of need, squandered too much on the reach for Cossa and pissed away too much draft capital in nominal deals. We’ve got some kids coming for sure, but unless Edvinsson and Kasper meet or exceed expectations or some later round pick really overachieves, the rebuild has just been a race to mediocrity.

Another big trade or a top flight UFA could dramatically alter that path but without that, by the time Larkin is 31 or so if Kasper doesn’t exceed expectations and become a 1C we’re not going to be a cup contender anytime soon.

We need ideally a 1C, an elite winger, another top 4 D (assuming Edvinsson is one) and some more grit in our bottom 6. We may have all of this in the system, except the 1C.

Ideally we could swing a deal for a high end C prospect from a team that’s in the hunt. Byfield is the guy that comes to mind most.
Machine

What are the Kings looking for as far as Byfield is concerned?