Checking in on.... The Ex-Wing Report

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

2 goals in 4 games.

27 year old goal scorer in his prime. For a seventh, with 2.625 retained. Limits our ability to make retained salary deals next year too. WTF? I don’t think Chuck Fletcher ever fucked one up this bad.

Duke

holytoledo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:49 pm

2 goals in 4 games.

27 year old goal scorer in his prime. For a seventh, with 2.625 retained. Limits our ability to make retained salary deals next year too. WTF? I don’t think Chuck Fletcher ever fucked one up this bad.
It won’t let me watch the video, but by your description I’m assuming it’s Vrana. I agree, the optics on this look really bad. Really bad. The truth is, though, we as fans (and the sports media, as well) have absolutely no idea what went down. In my opinion, you can’t really judge this without the facts. Sure, you can argue that the team should have sucked it up and kept him around to build up his trade value. But what if keeping him around would cause even more problems and possibly worse problems? I’m assuming that Steve felt like the best thing was just to get rid of him as soon as possible for whatever he could get, and that’s all anyone would give. That’s obviously just a guess. It’s tough when you don’t know what happened cause it causes you to speculate. At the same time, it’s impressive how they’ve kept this completely in-house, even knowing how the secrecy may make it look to outsiders.
holytoledo

Duke wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 9:29 pm

2 goals in 4 games.

It won’t let me watch the video, but by your description I’m assuming it’s Vrana. I agree, the optics on this look really bad. Really bad. The truth is, though, we as fans (and the sports media, as well) have absolutely no idea what went down. In my opinion, you can’t really judge this without the facts. Sure, you can argue that the team should have sucked it up and kept him around to build up his trade value. But what if keeping him around would cause even more problems and possibly worse problems? I’m assuming that Steve felt like the best thing was just to get rid of him as soon as possible for whatever he could get, and that’s all anyone would give. That’s obviously just a guess. It’s tough when you don’t know what happened cause it causes you to speculate. At the same time, it’s impressive how they’ve kept this completely in-house, even knowing how the secrecy may make it look to outsiders.
I’m 100% sure that’s what the org thinks. I’d think Stevie had to tell Armstrong everything in order to make a deal too. The Wings sure as hell run a tight ship, but there seemed to be zero problems on the ice. Just don’t buy that any risks of keeping Vrana around were so great that we had to make this move.
Fil Zaronek

holytoledo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:03 pm Bert in Boston

5 0 1 -2
He has only played 4 games for Boston and is 0 +/-. Where are you getting your stats from?
Duke

holytoledo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:02 pm

2 goals in 4 games.

I’m 100% sure that’s what the org thinks. I’d think Stevie had to tell Armstrong everything in order to make a deal too. The Wings sure as hell run a tight ship, but there seemed to be zero problems on the ice. Just don’t buy that any risks of keeping Vrana around were so great that we had to make this move.
It is also possible Steve F’ed this one up big time!
Sure wish we knew. Maybe the story comes out someday by a disgruntled employee. 🤣
holytoledo

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 11:50 pm
holytoledo wrote: Sun Mar 12, 2023 5:03 pm Bert in Boston

5 0 1 -2
He has only played 4 games for Boston and is 0 +/-. Where are you getting your stats from?
Oops, yeah added in his last game here.
Barbrady

Duke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 am

Sure wish we knew. Maybe the story comes out someday by a disgruntled employee. 🤣
Cossa better pan out or this will keep looking worse and worse.

At least Mantha still sucks, but man, what a waste. Really want to know the details of what went down with Vrana, because the optics right now make it seem like they gave up on a guy struggling with substance abuse issues who appeared to do everything right trying to fix it.

But who knows, maybe Vrana wanted out to get away from whatever demons he had in Detroit and this was Stevie doing him a solid and getting what he could in return. I'll just tell myself that to feel better until we find out if ever.
holytoledo

Barbrady wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 9:48 am
Duke wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:14 am

Cossa better pan out or this will keep looking worse and worse.

At least Mantha still sucks, but man, what a waste. Really want to know the details of what went down with Vrana, because the optics right now make it seem like they gave up on a guy struggling with substance abuse issues who appeared to do everything right trying to fix it.

But who knows, maybe Vrana wanted out to get away from whatever demons he had in Detroit and this was Stevie doing him a solid and getting what he could in return. I'll just tell myself that to feel better until we find out if ever.
Everything Vrana said and did publicly afterwards indicates he wanted to stay. St. Louis is a shit town. Who would want to play there vs. Detroit?
DelHowLich

Vrana scores again for the Blues. 3 goals in 5 games. Still a minus player though. -3

EDIT: Vrana got another, 2nd PP goal tonight and the game has 2 periods to go.........
Pop Zeus

Landon Ferraro, selected 33rd overall in 09 (one pick before Ryan O'Reilly, famously), is still playing pro hockey.
He's playing for the Cologne Sharks in the DEL.

Never understood why he didn't make it. Pretty good speed - but never fast as advertised. Also seemed smaller than the 6'0 he was pinned at.
Always seemed like he should have been a 3rd or 4th liner.