Checking in on.... The Ex-Wing Report

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
DelHowLich

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:47 pm Sheahan's wife, in a meme on Hockey Feed, weighed in on her husbands plight and thought it was totally insane that Riley was demoted and she doesn't like it one bit.
Maybe GR signs him???

WingFanInA2

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:47 pm Sheahan's wife, in a meme on Hockey Feed, weighed in on her husbands plight and thought it was totally insane that Riley was demoted and she doesn't like it one bit.
Which is why players wives/significant others/family should STFU on social media, you only make it worse for the player.
Pop Zeus

I've enjoyed watching Athanasiou and Mrazek over the years, but this Chicago team is the ugliest hockey team I've seen in a long time.

If I were GM of the Hawks, I'd dump Kane and Toews the first chance I get.
Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 pm I've enjoyed watching Athanasiou and Mrazek over the years, but this Chicago team is the ugliest hockey team I've seen in a long time.

It seems they went all out for Bedard/Michkov and dumping all of those players for futures, blatant.y tanking must have a negative motivational impact for the players remaining.
I was all for trying Domi if we couldn't get Malkin or Trochel. I think he is more dynamic than Copp and could have been had for less on a shorter term providing the opportunity to assess his performance as possible longer term piece.
Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:06 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:27 pm I've enjoyed watching Athanasiou and Mrazek over the years, but this Chicago team is the ugliest hockey team I've seen in a long time.

It seems they went all out for Bedard/Michkov and dumping all of those players for futures, blatant.y tanking must have a negative motivational impact for the players remaining.
I was all for trying Domi if we couldn't get Malkin or Trochel. I think he is more dynamic than Copp and could have been had for less on a shorter term providing the opportunity to assess his performance as possible longer term piece.
What's amazing to me is Patrick Kane and the total lack of effort.
Wizard of Corsica

If you were GM of the Hawks they would probably be in much better shape right now. Like the Wings, they allowed a really nice D corp to rot, failing to replace a Hall of Famer and several high quality cogs, despite having years to plan for it.

Unlike the Wings, they actually developed a couple decent forward prospects, but for some reason dealt them away when they got good.

Incredible to think how the Hawks were once looked on as a model franchise, but they have been mismanaged into oblivion.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
DelHowLich

St. Louis Blues goalie Thomas Greiss made 35 saves to shut out the Minnesota Wild 3-0.
St. Louis doing OK without O'Rielly and Vlad. And Greiss contained a potent offensive team in the Wild!
Wizard of Corsica

DelHowLich wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 5:59 pm
Maybe GR signs him???
Too late to make Teletubby joke here?
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Pop Zeus

https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks ... m-lafferty

“Athanasiou was excellent,” he said. “He’s known for his offensive speed and breakaways, but he was consciously using that speed [when] back-checking, staying above his checks. He had a couple good sticks in the ‘D’-zone at the end, when they had the goalie pulled, because of his speed. And he closes quickly [on opponents]. . . . We’d like to see it even more.”

Hawks are suddenly playing well, to the dismay of tank fans
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 2:13 am https://chicago.suntimes.com/blackhawks ... m-lafferty

“Athanasiou was excellent,” he said. “He’s known for his offensive speed and breakaways, but he was consciously using that speed [when] back-checking, staying above his checks. He had a couple good sticks in the ‘D’-zone at the end, when they had the goalie pulled, because of his speed. And he closes quickly [on opponents]. . . . We’d like to see it even more.”

Hawks are suddenly playing well, to the dismay of tank fans
He has always shown that kind of ability in flashes. Maybe he can have a Danny Cleary moment and figure out he needs to bring it every shift.