Some Assessments after the Rookie Tournament and Exhibition Season

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Some thoughts on the prospects who participated in the tournaments and exhibition season.

Joe Veleno - At times, his skating look supercharged. Not seeing much ability to control the puck an make things happen. Due to his skating and size, he's going to be a depth NHLer, but how good?

Michael Rasmussen - The narrative around Rasmussen has changed again. So far, I don't see it. As a center, he's so limited. Probably shouldn't be a 3C on a good team. Just can't carry the puck and help the team get from D to O.

Filip Zadina - Another guy who is suddenly a darling again. All I see is a guy whiffing on the kinds of chances a good player makes. And that's on the body of an average player, physically.

Kiril Tyutyayev - Good in the rookie tournament. Only one game against NHLers and was quiet. Has the instincts and skill, but the size/skill combo might be too much to overcome.

Seth Barton - I don't see much here. 23 years old. Has size. Supposedly skating too.

Jared McIsaac - There's nothing electric about his game. But I keyed on him against a major league Leafs team and I thought he looked pretty decent. I think this kid, if he stays healthy, winds up in the NHL as a depth guy. Running of time for it to happen in Detroit.

Cross Hanas - I'm a little bit higher on Cross than I was when this session began. He's got NHL top 9 games. His skating is kind of weak and he's physically not too engaged. Let's see what he figgers out in Grand Rapids.

Emil Viro - Like McIsaac - but younger. Also a better skater. We'll see how he handles the AHL grind - but Viro showed well.

Pontus Andreasson - Showed solid skill and decent skating. Wouldn't be surprised if he had a big year in the AHL and earned a callup.

Albert Johansson - Johansson's game seems to lack direction. Defensively, there's a lack of engagement/urgency, He's a little small. If he's a great skater, it didn't show because he wasn't going anywhere. Needs to adjust to the NA rink.

Elmer Soderblom - Showed hands. Showed how he uses that reach and length to protect the puck. He's never going to have first-second step quickness, so he's gotta compensate in other ways. I think he's a top 9er, maybe by mid-season. If not, next year.

Jonathan Berggren - Got better as the exhibition season went on. Plays with pace. Makes on-the-tap paces. Fires deceptive shots on the fly. Too many skates on the perimeter. He's gotta find some fearlessness in his game.

Simon Edvinsson - Really bland pre-season. The skills he flashed were more subtle than anything. Got lost in his own zone bit. Giveaways. Penalties. But he also made some strong outlets, played with physicality. Edvinsson probably needs a year in GR. Don't expect a calder like season from him next year, either. I think this kid still has #1LD potential, but I think he's pretty far away from it.

Gustav Lindstrom - Coach challenged him to be assertive and he did the opposite. He might not be here much longer.

Sebastian Cossa - At long last, Cossa looked poised and promising in a Red Wings jersey. That's literally all I wanted.