Loui Eriksson

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
attica

signing vets that could bounce back to inexpensive short term deals that can be flipped is exactly what rebuilding teams do. Im not concerned about ras either. HE doesnt necessarily need to start the team with the big team, stil has alot to work on. Flip can be waived or sat too, maybe namestikov can be 3c, or maybe ras ends up at 3c. IF svechnikov looks good they can make room for him too, and there will be injuries/covid stuff. As far as smith and ras are concerned there might be alot more room in the back half of the season after bodies start getting moved out. Another first would be huge.

Pop Zeus

attica wrote: Sun Oct 25, 2020 11:41 pm signing vets that could bounce back to inexpensive short term deals that can be flipped is exactly what rebuilding teams do. Im not concerned about ras either. HE doesnt necessarily need to start the team with the big team, stil has alot to work on. Flip can be waived or sat too, maybe namestikov can be 3c, or maybe ras ends up at 3c. IF svechnikov looks good they can make room for him too, and there will be injuries/covid stuff. As far as smith and ras are concerned there might be alot more room in the back half of the season after bodies start getting moved out. Another first would be huge.
Lots of things CAN happen.

But if you go out and get this coach veterans, he tends to play them.
I'd starve him of that opportunity.
Fuck Ryan. Fuck Gagner.
Namestnikov? Blech. Not unless he's a center, and that doesn't seem likely at this point.

Griess was a good signing.
The only thing we might have needed up front was a C.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-Whoever-Zadina
Svech-Filppula-Timashov
Helm-Glendening-Erne

I just filled up 4 lines without Gagner, without Ryan. Without Namestnikov. Without even getting to Rasmussen or Smith.
Without using Nielsen yet.

Just go get that 2C.
And let the kids play.
That's all I wanted. We were still going to have the opportunity to trade Glendening, Filppula and Helm, not to mention Bernier and Nemeth.
holytoledo

The vets have to be on the roster for the coach to play them. You’re position is basically that Stevie shouldn’t make a good move because he doesn’t have the balls to make the right subsequent good moves that should follow it. I hope that’s not the case. Passing up on getting a first in a situation like this would be foolish. Stunting the development of our kids to play Fil, Nielsen, Gagner, Namestikov, etc. would also be foolish. Playing kids that aren’t ready with others kids that aren’t ready would also be foolish.

Fil, Gagner & Erne are all nothing but warm bodies. I don’t think Stevie will have any trouble waiving them if it becomes obvious the best thing to do is play a kid in front of them.

Adding Erikasson would definitely add to the log jam of useless vet forwards, but the first is worth it. It’s up to the GM to solve that problem.
Pop Zeus

holytoledo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:02 am The vets have to be on the roster for the coach to play them. You’re position is basically that Stevie shouldn’t make a good move because he doesn’t have the balls to make the right subsequent good moves that should follow it. I hope that’s not the case. Passing up on getting a first in a situation like this would be foolish. Stunting the development of our kids to play Fil, Nielsen, Gagner, Namestikov, etc. would also be foolish. Playing kids that aren’t ready with others kids that aren’t ready would also be foolish.

Fil, Gagner & Erne are all nothing but warm bodies. I don’t think Stevie will have any trouble waiving them if it becomes obvious the best thing to do is play a kid in front of them.

Adding Erikasson would definitely add to the log jam of useless vet forwards, but the first is worth it. It’s up to the GM to solve that problem.
Svech is going to be 24 this week. The thought of waiving him after 20 NHL games makes me kind of ill.
But I think that's the most likely scenario at the moment. There's a chance nobody picks him up.

I support signings that fill gaps. I supported Filppula last year. And Nemeth.
I'm OK with the defensive signings this year. Not thrilled. But OK.
I think the goalie signing was exactly what we needed.

What possible gap could Bobby Ryan and Sam Gagner fill?

Wingers in the same age group who played more games last year than Svech.
Smith. Timashov. Fabbri. Hirose, Ehn, Perlini. Erne.

I get that Svech has done nothing but regress in the AHL. But he's also a guy who has consistently looked good in preseason and who passes my eye test (and advanced stats test) in very limited work in Detroit.

I think the odds of Ryan or Gagner bringing back anything at all are low - let alone bringing back anything valuable.
Barbrady

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:22 pm
holytoledo wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:02 am The vets have to be on the roster for the coach to play them. You’re position is basically that Stevie shouldn’t make a good move because he doesn’t have the balls to make the right subsequent good moves that should follow it. I hope that’s not the case. Passing up on getting a first in a situation like this would be foolish. Stunting the development of our kids to play Fil, Nielsen, Gagner, Namestikov, etc. would also be foolish. Playing kids that aren’t ready with others kids that aren’t ready would also be foolish.

Svech is going to be 24 this week. The thought of waiving him after 20 NHL games makes me kind of ill.
But I think that's the most likely scenario at the moment. There's a chance nobody picks him up.

I get that Svech has done nothing but regress in the AHL. But he's also a guy who has consistently looked good in preseason and who passes my eye test (and advanced stats test) in very limited work in Detroit.

I think the odds of Ryan or Gagner bringing back anything at all are low - let alone bringing back anything valuable.
But, this thread is about picking up Loui Eriksson's contract with a 1st round pick attached. That is bringing back something incredibly valuable.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 12:22 pm

Ryan and Gagner have zero to do with whether or not Stevie should make a deal that nets him an additional first for cap space. This is an organization that is in desperate need of talent. Any reasonable shot at first has to be taken. If Svech can't make this team, he's not an NHL player. If that happens, odds are probably 99% that he clears waivers. At this point in Svech's career the odds that he's ever more than a marginal NHL player himself are low. He's a former 1st rounder that isn't a top prospect any longer. The player we'd get in the 2021 draft, even if it's with the last pick of the 1st round, would instantly leap from Chevy on our prospect chart.

Now if Chevy shows anything at camp and Stevie exposes him to waivers to keep Fil, Nielsen, Erne or Gagner on the team, then that's just a bad decision. It's a stand alone bad decision that should not be compounded by making another bad decision and passing on a first.
hiramnicak

I'm going to be bummed if and when the wings only have one first rounder this year. There's no Lafreniere or Wright at the top of this draft, but it's still a hell of a talented group at the top. I'd love to see the Red Wings add a Luke Hughes/Simon Edvinsson/Owen Power AND a Kent Johnson/Fabian Lysell.

Write-ups on those Frölunda J20 guys coming soon by the way. I've watched two games so far and want to catch a third before sharing my notes. Early impressions of those two in particular are great though. There're a couple Frölunda guys that I would be happy getting in the second or third as well though. Impressive lot there.
dcz28

Yzerman is already on record as saying if prospects are ready, he will make room for them. If Svetch outplays some of those vets and gets waived then i would be annoyed and know you can't take him at his word. I don't think Yzerman is that stupid and he knows some of the guys he signed are just place holders in case some of the prospects aren't ready. I would also include Eriksson in that list of place holders. If he couldn't outplay prospects, i don't think Stevie would have a hard time waiving him to make room.

For way too long with Holland vets could stink it up and stay in the NHL. Hopefully this won't be the case anymore. Players should have to earn their spots on the team and the threat of being waived and sent down should be real. Players that are only going through the motions and collecting a pay check should be sent down if someone else earns a spot. I think a team needs that kind of competition between players to keep the team as competitive as it can be given the talent pool available.
attica

i see namestnikov as a potentially less expensive replacement for glenny/helm once they are shuffled out. I disagree about ryan. from what ive read it looks like hes got his head right. if he can pile up points and goals and help fix our power play short term he could actually yield a significant return at the deadline. Maybe its bang or bust, but its super low risk. We are in no rush at all to get rasmussen up, Svech can beat out either of flip or erne for a spot and over the course of the season with injuries he should have alot of opportunity if hes god enough either way. Id like to see him pick it up and do well. However most of the time i see people round here complaining we dont give certain kids enough of a chance, we need to make, leave room for them, if and when they do eventually get waived/traded, they generally amount to fringe nhl players at best wherever they end up.

For now i think the most important thing for us to do is keep piling assets. Weve got some kids on defense, weve got some kids on offense, it looks like we have a really solid next wave coming over the next few years. Extending that a few more years, puts us in a position where when we do break out of this funk we have lots of trade options and an overstocked farm system so that as we get better we can keep filling from within.

id also add that stabilizing this shit show is also important. Sadly i feel like a big part of that is firing the clown behind the bench. Getting the snot kicked out of you every night doesnt make selling process any easier and isnt great for young player development.
Pop Zeus

attica wrote: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:37 pm i see namestnikov as a potentially less expensive replacement for glenny/helm once they are shuffled out. I disagree about ryan. from what ive read it looks like hes got his head right. if he can pile up points and goals and help fix our power play short term he could actually yield a significant return at the deadline. Maybe its bang or bust, but its super low risk. We are in no rush at all to get rasmussen up, Svech can beat out either of flip or erne for a spot and over the course of the season with injuries he should have alot of opportunity if hes god enough either way. Id like to see him pick it up and do well. However most of the time i see people round here complaining we dont give certain kids enough of a chance, we need to make, leave room for them, if and when they do eventually get waived/traded, they generally amount to fringe nhl players at best wherever they end up.

For now i think the most important thing for us to do is keep piling assets. Weve got some kids on defense, weve got some kids on offense, it looks like we have a really solid next wave coming over the next few years. Extending that a few more years, puts us in a position where when we do break out of this funk we have lots of trade options and an overstocked farm system so that as we get better we can keep filling from within.

id also add that stabilizing this shit show is also important. Sadly i feel like a big part of that is firing the clown behind the bench. Getting the snot kicked out of you every night doesnt make selling process any easier and isnt great for young player development.
Griess is the stabilizing factor.
Replacing Jimmy with Griess makes us a 70 point pace team all by himself.

Bobby Ryan and Gagner do not stabilize anything.