2023 NHL Entry Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.

First?

Connor Bedard
72%
Matvei Michkov
17%
Other
11%

Total votes: 18
WingFanInA2

Resmo112 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 9:41 am
WaveRider_71 wrote: Wed Jul 27, 2022 1:28 am
Resmo112 wrote: Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:18 am

they'll be drafting after the 10th draft pick. Maybe JUST MAYBE, the wings finish 9th and get some lottery luck. That being said, Bettman will never allow the wings to draft first.

Sadly, i actually might believe that bit about Bettman never letting The Wings draft first 🤦🏻‍♂️😂
I'm the last one to believe conspiracy theories, but the wings maintained their domination in the late 90s and early 2000s with high priced FAs, then bettman lost a season because he needed a cap, which was partially due to the wings, then the wings were the first team to sign long contracts to kinda mitigate the cap or navigate around it, which bleed out to other teams, which cause a partial season loss to get that under control, now they're bad and I'm convinced he wants to keep them there. It doesn't matter to him if detroit has a strong franchise because the base will show up most nights.
I don’t even think it’s much of a conspiracy at this point. No team has had worse draft position relative to their record than the Wings. It’s odd but I do buy into the fucking midget intentionally fucking over Detroit. He had no understanding or respect for league traditions, such as how special original six teams are, nor did he respect any rivalries. He proved he was an idiot with the Outdoor Life Network deal and killed any momentum the NHL had compared to the NBA….

Okay I need to stop, I’m getting pissed…. Fucking Bettman…

holytoledo

Currently picking 22nd - maybe we can get a Kindl, Smith or Sheahan type if we’re lucky :(
holytoledo

Don’t see him lasting until 15, but Tankathon’s draft board has us taking Charlie Stramel

https://eprinkside.com/2022/11/07/charl ... -wisconsin

Sounds like just the kind of guy Yzerman is after.
Machine

Pop Zeus

Machine wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:52 pm https://thehockeynews.com/news/ferraris ... son-top-50

Hockey news mid season rankings
Some people I'm highlighting
15. Otto Stenberg, C/W, Frolunda (J20 Nationell), 5-foot-11, 181 pounds
The Swedish forward is a dynamic presence who can flash the exciting offensive intellect that makes for a dangerous scorer, but there are moments when his offensive game can wane a bit. Thankfully, there are so many areas of the ice where Stenberg seems to make an impact with his speed and skill. He can be an absolute pest on the forecheck. Understanding that he isn’t the biggest or strongest player, Stenberg will force himself between the puck and the opposing player in a board battle to establish body position. He will outskill and outwork the opposition in the neutral zone to win the puck back and then look to turn play up ice. When he is on his game offensively, he can absolutely dazzle with his skill, or he can thread the needle to teammates throughout the offensive zone. The upside is high with the high-octane forward.

17. Dalibor Dvorsky, C, AIK (Allsevskan), 6-foot-1, 201 pounds
The Swedish forward is a dynamic presence who can flash the exciting offensive intellect that makes for a dangerous scorer, but there are moments when his offensive game can wane a bit. Thankfully, there are so many areas of the ice where Stenberg seems to make an impact with his speed and skill. He can be an absolute pest on the forecheck. Understanding that he isn’t the biggest or strongest player, Stenberg will force himself between the puck and the opposing player in a board battle to establish body position. He will outskill and outwork the opposition in the neutral zone to win the puck back and then look to turn play up ice. When he is on his game offensively, he can absolutely dazzle with his skill, or he can thread the needle to teammates throughout the offensive zone. The upside is high with the high-octane forward.

18. Calum Ritchie, C, Oshawa (OHL), 6-foot-2, 187 pounds
Coming into the year, Ritchie was viewed as one of the top two-way centers in the draft class, with a real shot at challenging for the top five. Almost three months into the season, things haven’t gone as expected. The Generals forward has picked up his offensive production lately, but he’s struggled to stick around a point per game. Ritchie has shown evasive puck skill and a high-end shot in spurts, and his playmaking stems from intelligence, but he just hasn’t been able to find the scoresheet as much as he’d like. A big second half of the season could do him wonders.

21. Oliver Moore, C, NTDP (USHL), 5-foot-11, 176 pounds
The NTDP has a number of highly skilled players, and Oliver Moore slots in as the third member of the team in the first round. Moore has been the team's second-line center for most of the season with Danny Nelson and Will Vote on his wings. Moore is a dual threat who adapts to his teammates extremely well. He isn’t the fastest or biggest player, but he just plays hockey the way it should be played. Moore is a high-paced thinker who changes speeds, alters angles and moves the puck into high danger areas with regularity. Moore is a manipulative attacker, feinting one direction before bursting through space in another or stutter-stepping like an NFL wide receiver running a stop-and-start route.

23. Bradley Nadeau, C, Penticton (BCHL), 5-foot-10, 163 pounds
When you watch Nadeau play in the BCHL, you find yourself saying “Stop it, they’re dead already” as he puts up yet another multi-point game and looks dominant in the league. He is a lethal offensive player who thinks the game at a level that isn’t common in the BCHL. Nadeau is a dual-threat attacker, using his agility and skill to get to dangerous scoring areas while surveying the ice and understanding where and when to get his teammates the puck. He is committed to the University of Maine, which is why he is taking the BCHL route, but he very well could be a difference-maker at any level of junior hockey in North America.
Duke

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 5:25 pm
Machine wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 2:52 pm https://thehockeynews.com/news/ferraris ... son-top-50

Hockey news mid season rankings
Dvorsky is one of the better shooters in the draft class, and that aspect of his game has put him on the map. He has been a star at international events, scoring at will at the U-18 level last year and then playing for the U-20 squad this year. When Dvorsky is actively engaged in the play, he can be an intelligent forechecker and off-puck presence in the offensive zone. He has good hands when he wants to attack defenders as well. The reason for Dvorsky’s low ranking relative to the public consensus is he is far too willing to let the play come to him and set up for a shot or stationary playmaking opportunity, such as the power play. He has a ton of talent but wants to ride shotgun when he should be the driver of the bus.

[Swapping out the appropriate write-up]
Pop Zeus

I actually really doubt Yzerman takes Dvorsky with a first round pick, based on that right-up.
I question whether a quality NHL center can "let the play come to him."
Winger? Sure.
But centers need to be drivers and hounds.
hiramnicak

My understanding is that the Red Wings are eligible for the lottery as long as they miss the playoffs, though they can only move up to ten spots. Is that correct? Is it possible they could lottery up for a top five pick even if they finish the season in the 11-15 range?
holytoledo

hiramnicak wrote: Wed Dec 28, 2022 3:44 am My understanding is that the Red Wings are eligible for the lottery as long as they miss the playoffs, though they can only move up to ten spots. Is that correct? Is it possible they could lottery up for a top five pick even if they finish the season in the 11-15 range?
I believe that’s the case and we are overdue for some luck.
Duke

Way overdue for some luck!