NHL 2022 Offseason News

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
winged wheel

Now that the playoffs are finally over and once the dust settles a bit, the offseason will get going pretty quick.

Here's the thread for any news not big enough for its own post.

Zattaman

No HOF for Zetterberg... at least, not this year.

This year, it's the Sedins, Alfredsson, and Luongo.
holytoledo

winged wheel wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:54 am Now that the playoffs are finally over and once the dust settles a bit, the offseason will get going pretty quick.

Here's the thread for any news not big enough for its own post.
Colorado won the cup.
hiramnicak

Zattaman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:47 pm No HOF for Zetterberg... at least, not this year.

What does either Sedin have over Zetterberg? They get voted in as a unit or something?

And what’s Luongo got over Osgood? I mean, I’m on the fence about Osgood’s HoF status, but if Luongo gets in… that’s such a low bar for me. I just don’t get that.
Zattaman

hiramnicak wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:52 pm
Zattaman wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:47 pm No HOF for Zetterberg... at least, not this year.

What does either Sedin have over Zetterberg? They get voted in as a unit or something?

And what’s Luongo got over Osgood? I mean, I’m on the fence about Osgood’s HoF status, but if Luongo gets in… that’s such a low bar for me. I just don’t get that.
They got the Hart, the Art Ross, and the Lindsay.

All Z got was the Conn Smythe. To me, it's a more prestigious award because it means you play hard when it counts. But, whatever.

If Z is up for HOF, so should Pav. Three Selkes... when is he going to be eligible?
Wizard of Corsica

Zattaman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 am

All Z got was the Conn Smythe. To me, it's a more prestigious award because it means you play hard when it counts. But, whatever.

If Z is up for HOF, so should Pav. Three Selkes... when is he going to be eligible?

It would not surprise me if Luongo gets a little extra love from Canadian voters on account of Vancouver 2010. Still an 'eh' candidate. Hasek would have won a couple with that team in front of him I daresay.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
hiramnicak

Zattaman wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:02 am

Zetterberg is a member of the triple gold club, and the Conn Smythe alone puts him a mile ahead of those twins. Gretzky once called Zetterberg the greatest Swede to ever play the game. Not sure that Gretzky knows anything about hockey or not, but I’ve heard his name tossed around a few times…

Apparently, Alexander Mogilny isn’t in the hall either. What the hell is up with that? The guy was a great two-way winger, scored 76 goals one year, won the Stanley Cup, Olympic Gold, WC, etc., and the bloody Sedins are more worthy? Is Alfredsson even more worthy? Mogilny defected to join the NHL. He was a pioneer and a martyr and… well, I’ve always liked Mogilny, so some bias… he’s probably my favorite forward who never played with the Wings.

But come on. Patrik Elias? Theo Fleury? Keith Tkachuk? How does this class get in ahead of these guys?
winged wheel

Pop Zeus

To be honest, the last thing the Kings needed was another soft forward.
That's a hefty price, too, as Faber looks legit and 19th overall is nothing to sneeze at.
I'd have been happier with this price if they landed a Tkachuk type of forward.
winged wheel