2022 NHL Playoffs Thread

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:40 pm Drouin for Sergachev, is it safe to say Yzerman played his cards right with that one?

PS Great game.
He's not afraid to pull the trigger.

Look at Mantha for Vrana. Not the same impact as with Sergachev. I think Vrana will be let go after his contract is up because he's as one dimensional as Mantha. But, it was a bold move that made this team better, at least for now.

Resmo112

Zattaman wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 12:35 pm
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:40 pm Drouin for Sergachev, is it safe to say Yzerman played his cards right with that one?

PS Great game.

Look at Mantha for Vrana. Not the same impact as with Sergachev. I think Vrana will be let go after his contract is up because he's as one dimensional as Mantha. But, it was a bold move that made this team better, at least for now.

I donno man, since coming to detroit Vrana has improved the team. I'll stand by my shitty comment that if he had played the whole season we make the playoffs, I'm wrong, but I'll stand by the comment.
Wizard of Corsica

PS Great game.

In this case his hand was being forced by Drouin and his agent, but he still came out way ahead in the trade. Drouin being a pill about reporting to the AHL as I recall. I wonder if the deal would have been done if Drouin wasn't French Canadian.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
El Jefe

PS Great game.

The rate Vrana scores at, and you think he'll be let go at the end of his contract because he's one dimensional? It's one dimension the Wings really need more of.
Zattaman

El Jefe wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:20 pm

PS Great game.

The rate Vrana scores at, and you think he'll be let go at the end of his contract because he's one dimensional? It's one dimension the Wings really need more of.
I think Vrana has the best shot on the team and is a natural sniper.

But, I also think he's a defensive liability and can be too soft. If the next coach is more defensively-minded, and I would have to assume that's the case, given Yzerman's comment about the need to improve defensively as a whole, Vrana could be spending a lot of time on the bench -- which would cut into his production.

My prediction is that he'll price himself out of Detroit once his contract is up. He'll get better offers as UFA than what Yzerman will be willing to pay him. And, by that time, Raymond could be an established 30+ goal scorer.
holytoledo

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:54 pm

PS Great game.

In this case his hand was being forced by Drouin and his agent, but he still came out way ahead in the trade. Drouin being a pill about reporting to the AHL as I recall. I wonder if the deal would have been done if Drouin wasn't French Canadian.
Yeah, it was clear from day 1 that that was a fleecing.
JimIsJustPlainOld

TB taking it on the chin from the Avs, 7-0 with under five minutes left. Either TB is falling apart or they're sizing up the Avs for the next two games at home. Seems like that's what they did to the Rangers.
And Darren Helm, playing like he never played here. Being very physical, even had a mixup with Stamkos just a minute ago. And he even scored on a semi breakaway. When he was here, he was always getting knocked around and if he broke in on goal with a great scoring chance, he muffed it. Maybe it was the coaching.
Zattaman

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 pm TB taking it on the chin from the Avs, 7-0 with under five minutes left. Either TB is falling apart or they're sizing up the Avs for the next two games at home. Seems like that's what they did to the Rangers.
And Darren Helm, playing like he never played here. Being very physical, even had a mixup with Stamkos just a minute ago. And he even scored on a semi breakaway. When he was here, he was always getting knocked around and if he broke in on goal with a great scoring chance, he muffed it. Maybe it was the coaching.
I think Helm just missed playing in the playoffs and realizes this could be his last.

In '09 playoffs: 118 hits in 23 games
In '22 playoffs: 84 hits in 16 games
dcz28

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:46 pm TB taking it on the chin from the Avs, 7-0 with under five minutes left. Either TB is falling apart or they're sizing up the Avs for the next two games at home. Seems like that's what they did to the Rangers.
Rangers were great at home but not good on the road in the playoffs. Avs have lost only 2 games at home and are unbeaten on the road. I would imagine the game will be closer in Tampa with them having last change and getting the matchups they want but it doesn't seem to matter that much with this Avs team.

Helm played like that earlier on when they Wings won the cup and were a cup contender. Later on he just stopped being physical. His numbers are about the same as when the Wings won the cup...2 goals, 2 assists.
attica

babcock ruined helm and abby. They were really good pk guys and really good energy 4th liners. Then babcock got in their heads and tried to convince them they were scorers. The end result was largely they start playing 16+ mins a game, on scoring lines, our power play turned to shit, our top players spent more time digging the puck off the boards and getting smashed into the boards and recovering pucks than doing anything else, and our piano carriers coughed up pucks everytime they touched it. And for this they both got a massive pay raise. helm looked great last night. at point i thinkthey said he had 6? minutes of icetime? and 10 hits?