2022 NHL Playoffs Thread

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
dcz28

Corey Perry has now lost 3 straight cup finals with 3 different teams. Lost to Tampa while with Dallas, lost to Tampa while playing for the Habs and now lost to the Avs while playing for Tampa. Any team that wants to make it to the finals and lose, he's the guy to sign this summer.

dcz28

Resmo112 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:10 am
dcz28 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:42 pm Back then the Wings and Avs were both top cup contenders...not the case for the Wings right now. Ned would have to play like Hasek in his prime, Edvinsson would have to come in a play as good as Seider did this season, bunch of guys would need to have career years, Yzerman would have to sign or trade for a solid 2nd line center (unless Suter or Veleno had a Kadri type year) and everyone would have to stay healthy for the majority of the season and playoffs. Way too many things would have to go perfectly right for that to happen.
Honestly, if they can just find a 2nd line center, and the defense plays well we could be looking at turning the corner on the rebuild.

Bert - Larkin- Raymond
Zadina - 2nd line center we've needed for almost 2 decades now - Vrana

Seider SE
Hronek ???(maybe resign Troy Stretcher?)
Lindstrom - Staal

fill out your remaining lines with prospects and vets that we got on the team, hopefully Vrana can bring some of that chemistry back with Zadina, is it a cup winner, no but in the next couple of years it could be if you draft properly. With Seider and Raymond and now Edvinsson all looking like steals in their draft I trust Stevie to get it done.
Yeah a 2nd line center is a must if they want to contend for a playoffs spot. I thought Malkin might be the guy since he is willing to sign short term and that would give whoever they draft now (if they even draft a center with the 8th overall) some times to develop and not have him rushed into the NHL. With Backstrom out or possibly done with the Caps, i think he could end up there now. Boston has to get a center but they don't even have cap space to sign anyone right now. Wild also need a center but same as Boston, no cap space. Pens will need a center if Malkin leaves so they might go after Trocheck or Kadri but they would also need to clear some cap space. Kraken could really use a decent center but they could just tank and try to draft one. Maybe Buffalo could use one and they have to spend just to reach the cap floor. Likely going to be some bidding for the few proven 2nd line centers that hit the market.

As for the defense well Zadorov is the only guy i want on the UFA market and i think would make a good partner for Hronek. Big mobile physical stay at home type. In a trade, my preference would be either Shea Theodore from Vegas or Sanheim from Philly if either are even available. Arizona just wants way too much for Chychrun.

If i was the GM, i would be looking to have a top 6 and top 4 of something like this:

(UFAs only)
Bertuzzi - Larkin - Raymond
Vrana - Malkin - Zadina

Edvinsson - Seider
Zadorov - Hronek

(UFAs and trade)

Crouse - Malkin - Vrana

Sanheim/Theodore - Seider
Zadorov - Hronek
Edvinsson - Lindstrom

Ned and Georgiev

UFA only one would contend for a playoff spot most likely and the UFA & trade one would be a playoff team depending on what they have to give up in trades for Sanheim/Theodore, Crouse and if the Rangers are really willing to move Georgiev for a mid round pick.
Resmo112

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:45 am
dcz28 wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:42 pm Back then the Wings and Avs were both top cup contenders...not the case for the Wings right now. Ned would have to play like Hasek in his prime, Edvinsson would have to come in a play as good as Seider did this season, bunch of guys would need to have career years, Yzerman would have to sign or trade for a solid 2nd line center (unless Suter or Veleno had a Kadri type year) and everyone would have to stay healthy for the majority of the season and playoffs. Way too many things would have to go perfectly right for that to happen.
Honestly, if they can just find a 2nd line center, and the defense plays well we could be looking at turning the corner on the rebuild.

Bert - Larkin- Raymond

Seider SE
Lindstrom - Staal

fill out your remaining lines with prospects and vets that we got on the team, hopefully Vrana can bring some of that chemistry back with Zadina, is it a cup winner, no but in the next couple of years it could be if you draft properly. With Seider and Raymond and now Edvinsson all looking like steals in their draft I trust Stevie to get it done.
Yeah a 2nd line center is a must if they want to contend for a playoffs spot. I thought Malkin might be the guy since he is willing to sign short term and that would give whoever they draft now (if they even draft a center with the 8th overall) some times to develop and not have him rushed into the NHL. With Backstrom out or possibly done with the Caps, i think he could end up there now. Boston has to get a center but they don't even have cap space to sign anyone right now. Wild also need a center but same as Boston, no cap space. Pens will need a center if Malkin leaves so they might go after Trocheck or Kadri but they would also need to clear some cap space. Kraken could really use a decent center but they could just tank and try to draft one. Maybe Buffalo could use one and they have to spend just to reach the cap floor. Likely going to be some bidding for the few proven 2nd line centers that hit the market.

As for the defense well Zadorov is the only guy i want on the UFA market and i think would make a good partner for Hronek. Big mobile physical stay at home type. In a trade, my preference would be either Shea Theodore from Vegas or Sanheim from Philly if either are even available. Arizona just wants way too much for Chychrun.

If i was the GM, i would be looking to have a top 6 and top 4 of something like this:

(UFAs only)
Vrana - Malkin - Zadina

Edvinsson - Seider
Zadorov - Hronek

(UFAs and trade)

Crouse - Malkin - Vrana

Sanheim/Theodore - Seider
Zadorov - Hronek
Edvinsson - Lindstrom

Ned and Georgiev

UFA only one would contend for a playoff spot most likely and the UFA & trade one would be a playoff team depending on what they have to give up in trades for Sanheim/Theodore, Crouse and if the Rangers are really willing to move Georgiev for a mid round pick.
your roster is better than mine. I'm hoping at 8, Stevie can find a mitch marner/Brayden Point, type. someone who slips for some reason but can be almost a franchise player. Maybe point gets traded (Not outside the realm of pos) he'd be a perfect 2C still puts up almost 60, even though he's far from the 90+ output from years before.
holytoledo

Bert - Larkin- Raymond

Seider SE
Lindstrom - Staal

Blashill gone, potentially having Vrana the entire year, the addition of Edvinsson and the subtraction of Dekeyser all might add up to 8 points, which would get us to NHL .500. Adding a 2C might get us 4-8 more points. That's still pretty far removed from the playoffs in the Eastern Conference and probably has us picking in the 13-16 range. I'd rather finish bottom 3, which would be a slide of about the same number of points in the other direction. I just think we are at least 2 more successful top 10 picks away from having the young foundational pieces in place.
'
dcz28

There are players in this draft that sound like they could be a Point/Marner type like Nazar or Savoie that might be there at 8th. Smaller and highly skilled players. Wings will have their ranking list and whoever is left at the top of their list is likely who we get (whoever that may be). Hopefully we get lucky and whoever Yzerman takes is a guy they had rated in the top 3...kind of like when Brian Burke drafted Rielly at 5th overall he had him ranked at 1st overall above Yakupov.

I doubt Tampa trades Point anytime soon but who knows. Point is still very close to a point per game player (including this season) after his 90+ point season. Tampa is over the cap right now but not by much. Possible they trade one of Cirelli or Killorn to gain cap space. They likely will do some cap fuckery like other years with maybe handshake deals with Palat and others until the season starts and they can put Brent Seabrook on LTIR to gain almost 6.9 mil of cap space.
Resmo112

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:43 pm There are players in this draft that sound like they could be a Point/Marner type like Nazar or Savoie that might be there at 8th. Smaller and highly skilled players. Wings will have their ranking list and whoever is left at the top of their list is likely who we get (whoever that may be). Hopefully we get lucky and whoever Yzerman takes is a guy they had rated in the top 3...kind of like when Brian Burke drafted Rielly at 5th overall he had him ranked at 1st overall above Yakupov.

I doubt Tampa trades Point anytime soon but who knows. Point is still very close to a point per game player (including this season) after his 90+ point season. Tampa is over the cap right now but not by much. Possible they trade one of Cirelli or Killorn to gain cap space. They likely will do some cap fuckery like other years with maybe handshake deals with Palat and others until the season starts and they can put Brent Seabrook on LTIR to gain almost 6.9 mil of cap space.
that's fucking nuts, The fact that they have all that talent and still no cap hell. Ugh. I just say point because Stevie, and ya know.....GMs and liking to get guys they know. But yeah, point is only 26, and productive. He'd be able to take a bigger role in detroit too, but you are correct.
dcz28

Resmo112 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:49 pm
dcz28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:43 pm There are players in this draft that sound like they could be a Point/Marner type like Nazar or Savoie that might be there at 8th. Smaller and highly skilled players. Wings will have their ranking list and whoever is left at the top of their list is likely who we get (whoever that may be). Hopefully we get lucky and whoever Yzerman takes is a guy they had rated in the top 3...kind of like when Brian Burke drafted Rielly at 5th overall he had him ranked at 1st overall above Yakupov.

that's fucking nuts, The fact that they have all that talent and still no cap hell. Ugh. I just say point because Stevie, and ya know.....GMs and liking to get guys they know. But yeah, point is only 26, and productive. He'd be able to take a bigger role in detroit too, but you are correct.
Tampa does a good job at paying their core but switching out the depth to keep icing a pretty deep team...as winning teams have to do with the cap. Holland seemed to have a problem with that, overpaying depth guys instead of letting someone else overpay them and finding new cheaper options...seems like he still has that problem in Edmonton.
Resmo112

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:42 pm
Resmo112 wrote: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:49 pm

Tampa does a good job at paying their core but switching out the depth to keep icing a pretty deep team...as winning teams have to do with the cap. Holland seemed to have a problem with that, overpaying depth guys instead of letting someone else overpay them and finding new cheaper options...seems like he still has that problem in Edmonton.
they talk about that in the Winged Wheel Pod, death by 1000 cuts. I'd have to agree good GMs do the former
DocBrown

Brian Burke never smiles.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!