Blashill gone

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Zattaman

dcz28 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:49 pm
CoconutBackwards wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm
cska91 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:42 pm Trotz had one year left on his agreement. Lots of Islanders fans are furious. This has to be a no brainer, unless Yzerman feels he can't work with Trotz and there is a lack of personal rapport. Trotz also would command a big paycheck and ownership would have to be on board.
I don't blame the fans. This time last year Barstool was flooding the internet with Islanders fans at some Italian restaurant throwing each others' hats around during playoff games. Cut to this season and they were completely irrelevant the entire season. Someone is gonna take the blame.
Some are now saying there were issues between Barzal and Trotz. Barzal had been benched by him a couple of times. I wonder if Barzal quietly asked for a trade...that would explain that rumor of Yzerman making an offer for Barzal at the trade deadline. Would also explain why Lou chose to fire Trotz now if the only other option was to trade Barzal...if true i kind of wish they would have kept Trotz and traded Barzal to the Wings. Easier to find a coach than a top line young center.
This also begs the question what impact he would have on our young players. Would he prioritize winning over development? Would he treat Raymond like a 3rd liner, same way Gallant treats Lafreniere?

I want better structure and a bigger commitment to team defense, but not at the expense of creativity and player development. And, I don't think those are mutually exclusive; just got to find the right coach.

dcz28

Zattaman wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 8:19 pm
dcz28 wrote: Thu May 12, 2022 6:49 pm
CoconutBackwards wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 12:58 pm

I don't blame the fans. This time last year Barstool was flooding the internet with Islanders fans at some Italian restaurant throwing each others' hats around during playoff games. Cut to this season and they were completely irrelevant the entire season. Someone is gonna take the blame.
Some are now saying there were issues between Barzal and Trotz. Barzal had been benched by him a couple of times. I wonder if Barzal quietly asked for a trade...that would explain that rumor of Yzerman making an offer for Barzal at the trade deadline. Would also explain why Lou chose to fire Trotz now if the only other option was to trade Barzal...if true i kind of wish they would have kept Trotz and traded Barzal to the Wings. Easier to find a coach than a top line young center.
This also begs the question what impact he would have on our young players. Would he prioritize winning over development? Would he treat Raymond like a 3rd liner, same way Gallant treats Lafreniere?

I want better structure and a bigger commitment to team defense, but not at the expense of creativity and player development. And, I don't think those are mutually exclusive; just got to find the right coach.
That might be a bit concerning when it comes to young players but to be fair, Barzal being benched apparently was over poor defensive play and taking too many bad penalties. I think Barzal was leading their team in penalty minutes last season and Trotz said something like guys like Matt Martin should be leading the team in penalty minutes not Barzal. He did tone the penalties way down this season though.

Lafreniere is in a tough position with Panarin and Kreider ahead of him in the depth chart for left wing. Kreider scored 52 goals this season and Panarin got 96 points. They aren't as deep at natural right wing but they have a lot of centers that also need to play on the wing. I think it is more Lafreniere being drafted by a team that was already deep at his natural position over Gallant not trusting a young player.

Will be interesting to see how the coach handles young players vs vets...although most of the Wings vets are far from all stars so even Trotz (if he was hired) might have to play the young players a lot to have a chance at winning. Yzerman has to fill needs this summer and not with Suter and Oesterle types if he expects this team to take a step forward. If he doesn't then they won't be good enough for playoffs and won't have a chance at the #1 pick overall even with the lottery. I just hope whoever the coach is he doesn't want them to play that stupid collapsing system of defense or i will lose my shit.