Could Detroit Trade Larkin?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:08 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:07 pm If we trade Larkin for futures this rebuild is getting extended even longer. If Stevie is putting together a mega deal where we got a first from Montreal, Buffalo and Arizona for Larkin great. No one is sending us a 1C plus for Larkin. It would take a mega package to make it worth while.
Newhook, Byram + Annunen for Larkin.
I'd look hard at that.
LD.
C.
G.
TBH, I had not really looked at Newhook for shit since he was drafted. That is probably close. Not really interested in the G after last year’s draft deal. Colorado is so stacked it’s hard to trust Newhook’s numbers though.

Murmansk16A

Larkin for Josi! Convert him to the Wings top line center.

Elite Prospects
@eliteprospects
Roman Josi's last 10 games:

•3 goals
•19 points
•35 shots
•6 wins

The Predators captain is on pace to score 98 points in 80 games this season. Ridiculous!
El Jefe

Just this last weekend, I was sitting around with a bunch of Avs fans drinking beer in a hotel lobby in Dallas. I suggested to them a blasphemous trade (or at least one side), and everyone knew where I was going with it. My thought was the Avs need to trade MacKinnon, and a bunch of them knew what I was going to say, and actually nodded in agreement. There is a sentiment in Denver that MacKinnon will never win a Cup. I think he has become like Joe Thornton, who you couldn't ride to a Cup. MacKinnon sucks all of the oxygen out of the room when he is in the lineup, and the Avs' record is better without him. It's not a huge sample size, but it's not a mere half-dozen games, either. Plus, MacKinnon is kind of a whiny little bitch who gets hurt a lot because he skates around with his hair on fire and his head down.

So would you trade MacKinnon for Larkin? It won't happen, but some Avs fans think they won't win with MacKinnon. Landeskog is the guy they need, and I think they can win without MacKinnon, but the fans will riot if the Avs trade him. But if you are going to trade MacKinnon, it will be for a Dylan Larkin-type player.
Last edited by El Jefe on Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JimIsJustPlainOld

Well, I said on here yesterday, quoting Kevin Allen, to look for Yzerman to pull off something big and that it wasn't Bertuzzi.

Also, if something like this did happen, trading Larkin, then Bertuzzi won't go anywhere. He'll stay and be the next captain.
_sg_

Everything for a price, I suppose.

It's an interesting one because Yzerman seems to really like guys he drafted, but it also seems like his plan is generally "continuous improvement", and moving larkin would probably put a dent in the now.

I think he likes Larkin as captain, but I also think he was hoping to float by a bit longer and give the C to one of his guys.
winged wheel

holytoledo

JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:46 pm Well, I said on here yesterday, quoting Kevin Allen, to look for Yzerman to pull off something big and that it wasn't Bertuzzi.

Also, if something like this did happen, trading Larkin, then Bertuzzi won't go anywhere. He'll stay and be the next captain.
If Larkin were to get dealt there would be no reason to keep Bert. That’s a blow up the team, full rebuild around Seider & Raymond move. We do that and we might as well move everyone but them and have 3-5 firsts for the next 3-4 drafts. Larkin, Bert, Vrana, Hronek & Fabbri should all be dealt if we’re dealing Larkin. Sign a shit ton of UFAS on 1-2 year deals, take any cap dump with a good return for doing so and load up on picks. TBH, that might be a faster path than the one we’re on.
WingFanInA2

holytoledo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:00 pm
JimIsJustPlainOld wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 5:46 pm Well, I said on here yesterday, quoting Kevin Allen, to look for Yzerman to pull off something big and that it wasn't Bertuzzi.

If Larkin were to get dealt there would be no reason to keep Bert. That’s a blow up the team, full rebuild around Seider & Raymond move. We do that and we might as well move everyone but them and have 3-5 firsts for the next 3-4 drafts. Larkin, Bert, Vrana, Hronek & Fabbri should all be dealt if we’re dealing Larkin. Sign a shit ton of UFAS on 1-2 year deals, take any cap dump with a good return for doing so and load up on picks. TBH, that might be a faster path than the one we’re on.
Does it get us both a 1C and 2C? If not, then it is not faster.
hiramnicak

WingFanInA2 wrote: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:26 am
holytoledo wrote: Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:00 pm

Does it get us both a 1C and 2C? If not, then it is not faster.
you never know, but i'd sooner stockpile for next year's draft than this one. i think it's a bit extreme, but how many firsts could we get out of that group? it'd be interesting to see... some terrible and probably all-too-optimistic spit-balling:

Larkin: two firsts & a blue chip prospect
Bertuzzi: two firsts & a blue chip prospect
Vrana: a first & a second
Hronek: a first & a second
Fabbri: a first & a second
Leddy: a second

i'd try to get as many 2023s out of that as possible. i mean, it's way too early to say for sure, but these are some of your options at center:

Connor Bedard
Leo Carlsson
Adam Fantilli
Dalibor Dvorsky
Otto Stenberg
Calum Ritchie
Will Smith
Nate Danielson
Pop Zeus

I don't want two firsts...
Randomly, let's just say 25th overall this year and 26th overall next year.
Let's see what that looked like in 2010 and 2011.
2010 - 25th - Quinton Howden.
2011 - 26th - Philip Danault.

I like me some Danault, but he didn't do much for his draft team - the Blackhawks.

Lets say 22nd and 20th.
Let's do 2008 and 09
08 22nd - Eberle
09 20th - Jacob Josefson

If we trade Larkin - I want prospects/young players who've already cleared hurdles and remained bluechippers.
Same with Bert - though the haul won't be so good.