2022 NHL Entry Draft

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Murmansk16A

Re: 2022 NHL Entry Draft

Post by Murmansk16A »

I say the Wings should draft Nazar, so they'll have Nazar and Mazur.

holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Looks like we’re doing our best to work our way back into a top 10 pick.
_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

I think I've mentioned this before, but Vlad's brother Max is available in the draft this year: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/5 ... amestnikov

I don't really know much about him, but he checks a lot of boxes for me in the random points of interest department:
- He's got the same/similar backstory as Vlad, so that's kind of interesting. Plus the Wings seem to be a bit pro-nepotism :)
- According to EP, FCHockey has him ranked at 34? But on the FC site, he's unranked. ok cool
- This seems to happen a lot with shorter/smaller players: FC has him listed at 5'6" / 150 lbs, EP has him listed at 5'8", 174 lbs. For a smaller player, 2 inches is huge, and so is 24 lbs
- He kind of seems like he'd be a decent 3rd/4th line type center, but size might be a concern for that role.
- Which is kind of doubly interesting since Vlad was a first rounder who ended up there. Vlad racked up the points in the OHL, Max is/has not. Max didn't play last year FWIW.

I'm not really suggesting the Wings pick him, just providing evidence that the draft is very geekery prone
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Last edited by winged wheel on Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

_sg_ wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 12:33 pm I think I've mentioned this before, but Vlad's brother Max is available in the draft this year: https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/5 ... amestnikov

I don't really know much about him, but he checks a lot of boxes for me in the random points of interest department:
- He's got the same/similar backstory as Vlad, so that's kind of interesting. Plus the Wings seem to be a bit pro-nepotism :)
- According to EP, FCHockey has him ranked at 34? But on the FC site, he's unranked. ok cool
- This seems to happen a lot with shorter/smaller players: FC has him listed at 5'6" / 150 lbs, EP has him listed at 5'8", 174 lbs. For a smaller player, 2 inches is huge, and so is 24 lbs
- He kind of seems like he'd be a decent 3rd/4th line type center, but size might be a concern for that role.
- Which is kind of doubly interesting since Vlad was a first rounder who ended up there. Vlad racked up the points in the OHL, Max is/has not. Max didn't play last year FWIW.

I'm not really suggesting the Wings pick him, just providing evidence that the draft is very geekery prone
Maybe somewhere after round 3.
Fil Zaronek

Post by Fil Zaronek »

holytoledo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am Looks like we’re doing our best to work our way back into a top 10 pick.
Right now there are 11 teams behind the Wings and I think we can catch up to 4 (Chicago, Vancouver, Columbus and NYI) of them but probably won't catch em all. Of the teams ahead of the Wings in the standings there are a just couple teams in Western conference that could slip below the Wings and none in the East
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Fil Zaronek wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:13 am
holytoledo wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:42 am Looks like we’re doing our best to work our way back into a top 10 pick.
Right now there are 11 teams behind the Wings and I think we can catch up to 4 (Chicago, Vancouver, Columbus and NYI) of them but probably won't catch em all. Of the teams ahead of the Wings in the standings there are a just couple teams in Western conference that could slip below the Wings and none in the East
When I posted this, based on point %, we were in 10th. I care about that more than the points at this stage of the season. There's a cluster of teams around .500. Where we land in that cluster is going to largely depend on what teams do at the deadline and health of various teams. I suspect that we may improve with Vrana potentially coming back and Namestnikov being the only contributor we might move. Some teams that have better records than us right now could fall way back, for example San Jose, if they move Hertl.
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

If Lian Bichsel is still around, I bet he's on Detroit's shortlist in the second round. He's a big, 6'5" European defenseman who skates well and plays a pretty sound defensive game. He's fairly physical too. Looks like the prototypical second rounder for us and a natural successor to Tuomisto-Wallinder-Buium.

03.29.2022 edit: I’ve been keeping a close eye on this Bichsel kid, and if we’re going to draft him, it’ll be with our first pick. I don’t even think he’s an unreasonable choice. I’ve liked him more each game I’ve seen. I’m going to redraw my board pretty soon here after I’ve reviewed some footage and hopefully caught a couple more games out of the CHL guys, but I think he’s my second top defenseman. I might be missing someone, but off the top of my head, I think I’d go:

03: David Jiříček - arguably the best all-around defenseman in the draft, Jiříček is a two-way RHD with good offensive skills and a big shot.
05: Lian Bichsel - a hulking two-way LHD who plays with a physical edge, Bichsel is already a good shutdown defender and has decent offensive skills.
08: Pavel Mintyukov - offensive defenseman who models his game after the Hughes brothers.
10: Šimon Nemec - a two-way blueliner draws comparisons to Jiříček due to draft stock, Nemec isn't as strong physically nor as dynamic offensively.
15: Seamus Casey - at an intimidating 5'10", Casey's size is the one concern holding him back from top defenseman in the draft honors.
16: Owen Pickering - imagine William Wallinder as a Canadian, and you're not far off. Pickering needs help defensively, but the rest is there.
17: Elias Salomonsson - a shutdown defender who has shown high end skill in the past, Salomonsson is a bit of a wildcard and could be a huge steal.
20: Simon Forsmark - a good-sized, two-way SHL defender with the good kinds of habits to project well at the next level. Underrated offensively.

24: Calle Odelius - an offensive defenseman who has shown he can hold his own against men in the SHL.
26: Denton Mateychuk - an offensive defenseman who clearly has a lot of skill but hasn't really impressed me in the games I've seen.
30: Kevin Korchinski - another offensive defenseman praised for his poise with the puck... gives me Cholowski vibes.
31: Sam Rinzel - an intriguing 6'4" offensive defenseman who lit it up in high school before joining the USHL. Buium or Tuomisto? I can't say.

HM: Mattias Hävelid, Ty Nelson, Ryan Chesley, Artyom Duda, Noah Warren, Maveric Lamoureux, Michael Fisher, Christian Kyrou, Vladimir Grudinin, Arseni Koromyslov, Alexander Pelevin
Last edited by hiramnicak on Thu Mar 31, 2022 6:04 pm, edited 8 times in total.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

hiramnicak wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:43 pm If Lian Bichsel is still around, I bet he's on Detroit's shortlist in the second round. He's a big, 6'5" European defenseman who skates well and plays a pretty sound defensive game. He's fairly physical too. Looks like the prototypical second rounder for us and a natural successor to Tuomisto-Wallinder-Buium.
6’4” plus d-men does seem to be all the org thinks we need to build a winner sometimes.
Murmansk16A

Post by Murmansk16A »

FC Hockey's Mock Draft Builder is up. It has Detroit picking 11th overall. I ran the first round and took Conor Geekie, who seems to me the best Center left. Wright, Lambert, Cooley, Savoie, Nazar (them call him a RW), and McGroarty were all gone in the top 10. I thought about taking Marco Kasper, but went with Geekie's size. No idea which one of them (Geekie/Kasper) will be better in the long run.

https://nhlentrydraft.com/mock-draft/