Reporter Nagging Draisaitl

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

Reporter Nagging Draisaitl

Post by Pop Zeus »

Jim Matheson is the reporter.
He's been a bit of a Holland slappy for a long time.

dcz28

Re: Reporter Nagging Draisaitl

Post by dcz28 »

On one hand, he is a leader on that team and is expected to face the media to answer those questions even if he doesn't like it or feel like it...i'm sure Larkin didn't like facing the media and being asked why they kept losing when they were complete trash that season. Larkin handled it a lot better.

On the other hand, you do want to see that the player is still competitive and hates losing.

Not sure why they keep putting him after losses lately though. McDavid should be doing more of them and Nurse too. Clearly Draisaitl has had enough of answering questions on why they keep losing.

On the bright side, maybe this will piss Draisaitl off enough for him to ask to be traded so he doesn't have to deal with the Edmonton media. Then Yzerman can swoop in and get the #1 center the Wings need.
Machine

Post by Machine »

Someone going to be out of a job, the way they’re playing.
Krazy Kenny better can Tippet before he gets canned
hiramnicak

Post by hiramnicak »

dcz28 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm Not sure why they keep putting him after losses lately though. McDavid should be doing more of them and Nurse too. Clearly Draisaitl has had enough of answering questions on why they keep losing.
where you been? mcdavid was on one the other day too, and the media is going all crazy "mcdavid wants out of edmonton" over it.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

It was a BS question to get him on morning talk shows. If Draisaitl was telling the truth he could have started with the goaltending. Koskinen had been awful, Smith has been out and when he's played he's been awful. A question like that isn't designed to get a truthful answer.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

hiramnicak wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:46 pm
dcz28 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:10 pm Not sure why they keep putting him after losses lately though. McDavid should be doing more of them and Nurse too. Clearly Draisaitl has had enough of answering questions on why they keep losing.
where you been? mcdavid was on one the other day too, and the media is going all crazy "mcdavid wants out of edmonton" over it.
I guess i missed it. I just see the Draisaitl ones probably because he gets upset and frustrated during them.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

DocBrown wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:49 pm It was a BS question to get him on morning talk shows. If Draisaitl was telling the truth he could have started with the goaltending. Koskinen had been awful, Smith has been out and when he's played he's been awful. A question like that isn't designed to get a truthful answer.
You forgot about the GM not addressing the goalie position or not bringing in quality depth which everyone that watches the NHL knew were big issues for the Oilers. Their defense also got worst defensively with Keith compared to Larsson. I'm going to laugh when Holland signs DeKeyser in the off-season to a 5 year 25 million deal.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Personally, I wish player interviews would go away for good. It's always the same soundbite meant to give "sports writers" something to write. This is why hacks like St. James still have a job. Heaven forbid she actually did some analysis or stat breakdown.

I stopped reading all local sports news sections because it's the same crap, same two quotes, without any meaningful information or analysis.

And, honestly, who cares what Draisaitl thinks is the reason behind their struggles. It's not HIS job to identify the problem. Let the coach feed the press a few good quotes and be done with it.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Machine wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:44 pm Someone going to be out of a job, the way they’re playing.
Krazy Kenny better can Tippet before he gets canned
Please please let him survive until the trade deadline. It could be like Christmas for us!
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Zattaman wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:52 pm Personally, I wish player interviews would go away for good. It's always the same soundbite meant to give "sports writers" something to write. This is why hacks like St. James still have a job. Heaven forbid she actually did some analysis or stat breakdown.

I stopped reading all local sports news sections because it's the same crap, same two quotes, without any meaningful information or analysis.

And, honestly, who cares what Draisaitl thinks is the reason behind their struggles. It's not HIS job to identify the problem. Let the coach feed the press a few good quotes and be done with it.

This IS the news.

Player is frustrated.

Blame the reporter all you want. You could sense some tone with the "can you elaborate" or whatever he said.

But Drai said "you do it. You're smarter than everyone" or whatever he said - and that took it to a new level.

The reporter, not being a complete pushover, asked him why he was being pissy. Which is dumb. but whatever.

And now we have a moment that represents what's gone wrong in Oilerland.

I don't mind this shit.
The anger/frustration here was real - beyond the mindless nothingness we usually get.