Leddy

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Leddy

Post by holytoledo »

First 3 games, 3 points, +3.

Next 35 games, 8 points, -22.

No idea why he’s still getting top 4 minutes. He’s worse than Dekeyser, Staal or Oesterle. Probably Lashoff for that matter too.

I guess the bright side is that if he has 20ish points and was closer to even we might be a little to close to a playoff spot for comfort. I’d guess his shit D and lack of production for his role has probably cost us 6-10 points.

Barbrady

Re: Leddy

Post by Barbrady »

holytoledo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 pm First 3 games, 3 points, +3.

No idea why he’s still getting top 4 minutes. He’s worse than Dekeyser, Staal or Oesterle. Probably Lashoff for that matter too.

I guess the bright side is that if he has 20ish points and was closer to even we might be a little to close to a playoff spot for comfort. I’d guess his shit D and lack of production for his role has probably cost us 6-10 points.
Definitely definitely not worse than Dekeyser.
All you have to do to confirm this is see how Hronek played with Dekeyser vs how he's looked with Leddy.

Leddy can't carry a teammate. He has the same deficiencies as Hronek but to a greater degree. They do not complement each other well, but, they complement each other better than when Dekeyser was paired with Hronek.

Leddy looked great with Seider early on. That would have been the ideal situation, as it definitely would have boosted his stats and made him a coveted trade deadline target.

Unfortunately, Dekeyser sucks so much ass, and Seider is the only defensmen on the roster capable of making him look passable, that these pairings were forced out of necessity. Dekeyser should not be in the NHL.
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

Barbrady wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:20 pm
holytoledo wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:28 pm First 3 games, 3 points, +3.

Definitely definitely not worse than Dekeyser.
All you have to do to confirm this is see how Hronek played with Dekeyser vs how he's looked with Leddy.

Leddy can't carry a teammate. He has the same deficiencies as Hronek but to a greater degree. They do not complement each other well, but, they complement each other better than when Dekeyser was paired with Hronek.

Leddy looked great with Seider early on. That would have been the ideal situation, as it definitely would have boosted his stats and made him a coveted trade deadline target.

Unfortunately, Dekeyser sucks so much ass, and Seider is the only defensmen on the roster capable of making him look passable, that these pairings were forced out of necessity. Dekeyser should not be in the NHL.
Fair enough. I’m all for sitting Dekeyser and trying Leddy with Seider. Play Oesterle & Stahl.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

It's pretty surprising to see Leddy with team worst +/-. But when you look at his stats with the Islanders it's the same deal. The only D man in negative numbers yet he was easily the top scoring D man. No luck scoring with the Wings so this offensive defenseman is not offsetting his weakness on the defensive side. He's turned out to be a bad fit. He is way better than Danny D. though--- sheesh the guy is probably out of the league next year.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Leddy is worse than Dekeyser in his own zone.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

If Leddy is so horrible how does he manage to log the second most minutes on the Islanders last year? And how does that team come within an inch of making it to the finals last year with horrible Leddy playing such a prominent role?
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:49 pm Leddy is worse than Dekeyser in his own zone.
No he isn't, Leddy just doesn't have Seider with him to break up plays, muscle guys off the puck and get the puck out of the zone.
Machine

Post by Machine »

In before Pops breaks out the stats lol
Wouldn’t mind Seider/Leddy getting some time I’m tired of DDK
holytoledo

Post by holytoledo »

DocBrown wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm If Leddy is so horrible how does he manage to log the second most minutes on the Islanders last year? And how does that team come within an inch of making it to the finals last year with horrible Leddy playing such a prominent role?
Age, motivation, system, D partner. The isles moved him because they had 3 other D that they preferred to protect in the expansion draft. He clearly wasn’t all that to them…
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

holytoledo wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:35 pm
DocBrown wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:26 pm If Leddy is so horrible how does he manage to log the second most minutes on the Islanders last year? And how does that team come within an inch of making it to the finals last year with horrible Leddy playing such a prominent role?
Age, motivation, system, D partner. The isles moved him because they had 3 other D that they preferred to protect in the expansion draft. He clearly wasn’t all that to them…
If i remember correctly, it wasn't just about the expansion draft or that they liked others better. They needed cap space to re-sign some players. They also moved Devon Toews and Boychuks contract. I imagine they regret trading Toews more (7 goals, 26 points and +30 in 25 games with the Avs).