NYT Buys The Athletic

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Resmo112

Re: NYT Buys The Athletic

Post by Resmo112 »

El Jefe wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am
Resmo112 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am
El Jefe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am

That is, on average, 20 kids per state, per day. That is not a lot.

And then there is the issue Pop brought up in the post just above this one. Every kid--and virtually everyone of every age--admitted to a hospital right now has a Covid test. That's just SOP. A positive test results in a reporting of a number of Covid cases of children in the hospital. That is a misleading statistic. Most of those kids did not get admitted for Covid, but for other reasons. And as transmissable as the new variant is, a lot of kids are going to have it, and many will contract while hospitalized. It is akin to the common cold, and indeed a coronavirus is the cause of the common cold in a large percentage of cases.

So the reporting of 1,000 kids per day getting admitted to the hospital is an attempt to conflate the presence of Covid with Covid being the reason admission. The Covid statistics are reported without any context or perspective, which is flat wrong, and leads people to incorrect conclusions. What we really need to know is how many kids were admitted to the hospital BECAUSE of Covid. That is a useful and informative statistic, and one that those who "follow the science" SHOULD be tracking. But we don't get that information. I wonder why?

And then I question the statistics. If you heard what Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said yesterday, you'd cringe. A supposedly wise and highly educated person stated that there were 100,000 kids (that's 2,000 per state, on average) in the hospital with Covid right now, most of them serious, many on ventilators. That's just utter hogwash, but people hear this and buy it. It's hard to do anything right when the statistics have no context, are trumped up, or just flat out made up to advance some argument. There's no science or analysis in any of this bullshit. But the person who uttered that statistic is going to render a decision on the Federal government's OSHA vaccine mandate for employers with more than 100 employees. And that person doesn't have a clue. Actually worse, that person is either pimping an agenda, or is so blatantly devoid of common sense, analytical ability, and judgment that she is unqualified to hold any influential position in society.
doesn't change the fact that it's stressing an already overly stressed, underprepared health care system.
BINGO!! Poor planning. Recall the phrase:

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

This is what you get when Federal and state governments, via certificate of need laws, and reimbursement mechanisms that become ever more important as more people are transitioned to a government run payor who dictate the economics of health care as a central planning agency. You want more of the same? So let's go screw up the economy and everyone's lives because our health care system is tethered to a bunch of people who cannot manage their way out of a paper bag. There may--or may not--be inadequate capacity or flexibility to deal with an increase in demand. But when you artificially limit supply, you get artificial "crises".

Here's more, from Anthony Furey of The Toronto Sun, who articulates the issue pretty well:
Well, here’s the answer: Public health officials are not particularly bothered by the prospects of thousands of people getting mild Omicron. But the Ontario government estimates that Omicron currently has a 0.3% hospitalization rate. This means that when 20,000 people come down with the virus, 60 of them will need a hospital bed.

This, we’re told, presents a risk to the stability of the hospital system — the biggest concern being the number of patients in ICU for COVID-19, which currently sits at around 350 in Ontario.

But do these numbers justify the forced shutdown of society, the closing of our children’s schools, and all of the now documented harms that come with these measures? The percentage of people who are answering yes to that question gets smaller by the day.
It’s become something of a farce to see senior health bureaucrats and executives stand in front of the cameras and brag to us about how after almost two years of this they’re still caught off guard when a few hundred people are admitted to ICU.

If the healthcare system is at risk of collapse based on such numbers, maybe the people running the system have some explaining to do. Talk about a group of people clearly in over their heads.
I know this is in Canada, but the health care system in the US is becoming more like Canada's every day, and the challenges with Covid are virtually the same.

How is the US's healthcare system changing at all? apart from becoming more and more privitized and in no way like a decent affordable healthcare system?

"poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on mine"

It's public health dude. It's not perfect, there was good planning the republicans shut it down in 2018 when they shut down the CDCs pandemic task force. My point is, doing your part for the betterment of the society we live in includes public health.

Bomber

Post by Bomber »

This is the strangest sports board ever.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

Bomber wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:32 am This is the strangest sports board ever.
yeah, I'm over it.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

El Jefe wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:57 am
Resmo112 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am
El Jefe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am

That is, on average, 20 kids per state, per day. That is not a lot.

And then there is the issue Pop brought up in the post just above this one. Every kid--and virtually everyone of every age--admitted to a hospital right now has a Covid test. That's just SOP. A positive test results in a reporting of a number of Covid cases of children in the hospital. That is a misleading statistic. Most of those kids did not get admitted for Covid, but for other reasons. And as transmissable as the new variant is, a lot of kids are going to have it, and many will contract while hospitalized. It is akin to the common cold, and indeed a coronavirus is the cause of the common cold in a large percentage of cases.

So the reporting of 1,000 kids per day getting admitted to the hospital is an attempt to conflate the presence of Covid with Covid being the reason admission. The Covid statistics are reported without any context or perspective, which is flat wrong, and leads people to incorrect conclusions. What we really need to know is how many kids were admitted to the hospital BECAUSE of Covid. That is a useful and informative statistic, and one that those who "follow the science" SHOULD be tracking. But we don't get that information. I wonder why?

And then I question the statistics. If you heard what Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said yesterday, you'd cringe. A supposedly wise and highly educated person stated that there were 100,000 kids (that's 2,000 per state, on average) in the hospital with Covid right now, most of them serious, many on ventilators. That's just utter hogwash, but people hear this and buy it. It's hard to do anything right when the statistics have no context, are trumped up, or just flat out made up to advance some argument. There's no science or analysis in any of this bullshit. But the person who uttered that statistic is going to render a decision on the Federal government's OSHA vaccine mandate for employers with more than 100 employees. And that person doesn't have a clue. Actually worse, that person is either pimping an agenda, or is so blatantly devoid of common sense, analytical ability, and judgment that she is unqualified to hold any influential position in society.
doesn't change the fact that it's stressing an already overly stressed, underprepared health care system.
BINGO!! Poor planning. Recall the phrase:

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

This is what you get when Federal and state governments, via certificate of need laws, and reimbursement mechanisms that become ever more important as more people are transitioned to a government run payor who dictate the economics of health care as a central planning agency. You want more of the same? So let's go screw up the economy and everyone's lives because our health care system is tethered to a bunch of people who cannot manage their way out of a paper bag. There may--or may not--be inadequate capacity or flexibility to deal with an increase in demand. But when you artificially limit supply, you get artificial "crises".

Here's more, from Anthony Furey of The Toronto Sun, who articulates the issue pretty well:
Well, here’s the answer: Public health officials are not particularly bothered by the prospects of thousands of people getting mild Omicron. But the Ontario government estimates that Omicron currently has a 0.3% hospitalization rate. This means that when 20,000 people come down with the virus, 60 of them will need a hospital bed.

This, we’re told, presents a risk to the stability of the hospital system — the biggest concern being the number of patients in ICU for COVID-19, which currently sits at around 350 in Ontario.

But do these numbers justify the forced shutdown of society, the closing of our children’s schools, and all of the now documented harms that come with these measures? The percentage of people who are answering yes to that question gets smaller by the day.
It’s become something of a farce to see senior health bureaucrats and executives stand in front of the cameras and brag to us about how after almost two years of this they’re still caught off guard when a few hundred people are admitted to ICU.

If the healthcare system is at risk of collapse based on such numbers, maybe the people running the system have some explaining to do. Talk about a group of people clearly in over their heads.
I know this is in Canada, but the health care system in the US is becoming more like Canada's every day, and the challenges with Covid are virtually the same.
For years, I've thought Canadian-style health care was better.
And I still do.
But years and years of consolidating hospital beds left Canada less ready for the pandemic.

Michigan:
10 million people
COVID ICU stays were over 1500 at the peak. This season over 1000.
System nearly broke.

Ontario
14 million people.
COVID ICU stays peaked at 879.
System nearly broke down.

Anyway, the tide is turning.
* Walensky admits more than 75 percent of deaths are people with at least 4 comorbidities.
* Walensky says PCR tests can catch 10-week old infections - making all the fucking COVID-19 numbers little more than fiction.
* Fauci talked about the difference of "hospitalized with" vs "hospitalized because of." And now some states are doing the same.
Something they should have been doing from the start. Now do the same thing for the 840,000 deaths.
* COVID fearmonger Scott Gottlieb tells CNN that regular cloth masks are useless. British study finds the same.

I became a US citizen this year - and I'm happy about that when I see what my Canadian relatives are allowing.

At the end of the day, I'm actually breathing a sigh of relief that Trump got his Supreme Court nominees - something I thought I'd never say - when I see Sotomayor spreading lies and misinformation about COVID.

Because Trump's Supreme Court is a lot less likely to go for shit like this:
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Left fully embracing......

1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

DocBrown wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:39 pm Left fully embracing......

jesus christ this is idiotic. No vaccine is perfect, break through cases happen, until we establish herd immunity they will continue to happen.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

Resmo112 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm

jesus christ this is idiotic. No vaccine is perfect, break through cases happen, until we establish herd immunity they will continue to happen.
Dude.
Ontario has more fully vaccinated cases/1000 than unvaccinated cases/1000.
And it's not close. By 25%
Now, it's quite likely that unvaccinated people get a runny nose and don't test, while vaxxed people test 10 times.

Breakthrough cases? That's fucking September talk.

The latest data I've seen says the vaccines are virtually worthless at preventing spread.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

Pop Zeus wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:01 pm
Resmo112 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:54 pm

Dude.
Ontario has more fully vaccinated cases/1000 than unvaccinated cases/1000.
And it's not close. By 25%
Now, it's quite likely that unvaccinated people get a runny nose and don't test, while vaxxed people test 10 times.

Breakthrough cases? That's fucking September talk.

The latest data I've seen says the vaccines are virtually worthless at preventing spread.
where are you getting your data, because literally every legit source disagrees with this.
Resmo112

Post by Resmo112 »

For example, the health department of Virginia records unvacinated people are getting covid at 2.2 * the rate. but numbers don't exist in a vacuum, for example, the omicron variant when people said unvacinated weren't getting it, its because unvaccinated aren't allowed to travel to other countries as much. That data showed a steep decline from vaccinated people to boostered, with 80 something percent having the first 2 doses and 33% having the booster. But people like you Pops are incapable of looking at data other than how it fits their narrative.
DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

The Risk of Vaccinated COVID Transmission Is Not Low

https://www.scientificamerican.com/arti ... s-not-low/
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!