NYT Buys The Athletic

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
Pop Zeus

El Jefe wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:11 am
Resmo112 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 4:01 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Barbrady can't make a point that stands up on its own, so he resorts to insults.
Exactly how the Dems behave on Twitter.
They fritz out so fast.

Democrat: We need to close our schools during Omicron to protect our kids!
Normal person: Look at the data, kids aren't at any real risk from COVID/Omicron.
Democrat: But they can bring it home to their parents.
Normal person: And their parents, if they are at risk, can be vaccinated to put them at low risk, too.
Democrat: Spews insults and calls you a murderer (or a full-blown dipshit reactionary).
getting 1000 kids hospitalized daily now, an all time high. so
That is, on average, 20 kids per state, per day. That is not a lot.

And then there is the issue Pop brought up in the post just above this one. Every kid--and virtually everyone of every age--admitted to a hospital right now has a Covid test. That's just SOP. A positive test results in a reporting of a number of Covid cases of children in the hospital. That is a misleading statistic. Most of those kids did not get admitted for Covid, but for other reasons. And as transmissable as the new variant is, a lot of kids are going to have it, and many will contract while hospitalized. It is akin to the common cold, and indeed a coronavirus is the cause of the common cold in a large percentage of cases.

So the reporting of 1,000 kids per day getting admitted to the hospital is an attempt to conflate the presence of Covid with Covid being the reason admission. The Covid statistics are reported without any context or perspective, which is flat wrong, and leads people to incorrect conclusions. What we really need to know is how many kids were admitted to the hospital BECAUSE of Covid. That is a useful and informative statistic, and one that those who "follow the science" SHOULD be tracking. But we don't get that information. I wonder why?

And then I question the statistics. If you heard what Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said yesterday, you'd cringe. A supposedly wise and highly educated person stated that there were 100,000 kids (that's 2,000 per state, on average) in the hospital with Covid right now, most of them serious, many on ventilators. That's just utter hogwash, but people hear this and buy it. It's hard to do anything right when the statistics have no context, are trumped up, or just flat out made up to advance some argument. There's no science or analysis in any of this bullshit. But the person who uttered that statistic is going to render a decision on the Federal government's OSHA vaccine mandate for employers with more than 100 employees. And that person doesn't have a clue. Actually worse, that person is either pimping an agenda, or is so blatantly devoid of common sense, analytical ability, and judgment that she is unqualified to hold any influential position in society.
The fact that almost 2 years into the pandemic, we're still being fed misleading data, is a fucking joke.

Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:56 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:30 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:08 pm

Yeah - blackballing DeAngelo for a year because he supported Trump on Twitter is the same fucking thing as Joe Louis or Jackie Robinson.

I'm all for lending a microphone to oppressed people.

The Athletic isn't doing that.
It’s nothing compared to what happened with Kapernik though.

What happened to Kaepernick ?
I supported his anthem protest and thought it was fine.
But the dude wouldn't take backup QB money - and that's what he was.
He could make more money from Nike and Netflix than he could being a backup QB - so that's what he did.
I would love to make that piece of shit beg to be put out of his misery.
He protests the US because of oppression of minorities but joins a terroristic, fascist, totalitarian, supremacist ideology which condones and even encourages slavery and produces countries which are far more oppressive to minorities than the US is.
Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:25 pm
holytoledo wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 12:30 pm

It’s nothing compared to what happened with Kapernik though.

He could make more money from Nike and Netflix than he could being a backup QB - so that's what he did.
He protests the US because of oppression of minorities but joins a terroristic, fascist, totalitarian, supremacist ideology which condones and even encourages slavery and produces countries which are far more oppressive to minorities than the US is.
What idealogy did he join? What am I missing?

There is no doubt that many Americans have no idea how well we treat minorities - at least compared to some countries.
But that's no reason to pretend we don't have issues to work on - including police brutality and racism among police.

Ever go into a PD or FD squad room? Fox News, 24/7.
Cops I know, I wouldn't call them overt racists. But I'd say they hold racist attitudes - the kind that your typical corporate DEI trainer will set off in the worst way.
Fil Zaronek

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:58 pm

There is no doubt that many Americans have no idea how well we treat minorities - at least compared to some countries.
But that's no reason to pretend we don't have issues to work on - including police brutality and racism among police.

Cops I know, I wouldn't call them overt racists. But I'd say they hold racist attitudes - the kind that your typical corporate DEI trainer will set off in the worst way.
He converted to islam
Pop Zeus

Fil Zaronek wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:05 pm
Pop Zeus wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 1:58 pm

He converted to islam
It's so strange to me when an adult decides to convert or believe in some new religion.
Resmo112

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:36 pm

Barbrady can't make a point that stands up on its own, so he resorts to insults.
Exactly how the Dems behave on Twitter.
They fritz out so fast.

Democrat: We need to close our schools during Omicron to protect our kids!
Normal person: Look at the data, kids aren't at any real risk from COVID/Omicron.
Democrat: But they can bring it home to their parents.
Normal person: And their parents, if they are at risk, can be vaccinated to put them at low risk, too.
Democrat: Spews insults and calls you a murderer (or a full-blown dipshit reactionary).

And then there is the issue Pop brought up in the post just above this one. Every kid--and virtually everyone of every age--admitted to a hospital right now has a Covid test. That's just SOP. A positive test results in a reporting of a number of Covid cases of children in the hospital. That is a misleading statistic. Most of those kids did not get admitted for Covid, but for other reasons. And as transmissable as the new variant is, a lot of kids are going to have it, and many will contract while hospitalized. It is akin to the common cold, and indeed a coronavirus is the cause of the common cold in a large percentage of cases.

So the reporting of 1,000 kids per day getting admitted to the hospital is an attempt to conflate the presence of Covid with Covid being the reason admission. The Covid statistics are reported without any context or perspective, which is flat wrong, and leads people to incorrect conclusions. What we really need to know is how many kids were admitted to the hospital BECAUSE of Covid. That is a useful and informative statistic, and one that those who "follow the science" SHOULD be tracking. But we don't get that information. I wonder why?

And then I question the statistics. If you heard what Supreme Court Justice Sonia Sotomayor said yesterday, you'd cringe. A supposedly wise and highly educated person stated that there were 100,000 kids (that's 2,000 per state, on average) in the hospital with Covid right now, most of them serious, many on ventilators. That's just utter hogwash, but people hear this and buy it. It's hard to do anything right when the statistics have no context, are trumped up, or just flat out made up to advance some argument. There's no science or analysis in any of this bullshit. But the person who uttered that statistic is going to render a decision on the Federal government's OSHA vaccine mandate for employers with more than 100 employees. And that person doesn't have a clue. Actually worse, that person is either pimping an agenda, or is so blatantly devoid of common sense, analytical ability, and judgment that she is unqualified to hold any influential position in society.
doesn't change the fact that it's stressing an already overly stressed, underprepared health care system.
El Jefe

Resmo112 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:20 am

doesn't change the fact that it's stressing an already overly stressed, underprepared health care system.
BINGO!! Poor planning. Recall the phrase:

"Poor planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."

This is what you get when Federal and state governments, via certificate of need laws, and reimbursement mechanisms that become ever more important as more people are transitioned to a government run payor who dictate the economics of health care as a central planning agency. You want more of the same? So let's go screw up the economy and everyone's lives because our health care system is tethered to a bunch of people who cannot manage their way out of a paper bag. There may--or may not--be inadequate capacity or flexibility to deal with an increase in demand. But when you artificially limit supply, you get artificial "crises".

Here's more, from Anthony Furey of The Toronto Sun, who articulates the issue pretty well:
Well, here’s the answer: Public health officials are not particularly bothered by the prospects of thousands of people getting mild Omicron. But the Ontario government estimates that Omicron currently has a 0.3% hospitalization rate. This means that when 20,000 people come down with the virus, 60 of them will need a hospital bed.

This, we’re told, presents a risk to the stability of the hospital system — the biggest concern being the number of patients in ICU for COVID-19, which currently sits at around 350 in Ontario.

But do these numbers justify the forced shutdown of society, the closing of our children’s schools, and all of the now documented harms that come with these measures? The percentage of people who are answering yes to that question gets smaller by the day.
It’s become something of a farce to see senior health bureaucrats and executives stand in front of the cameras and brag to us about how after almost two years of this they’re still caught off guard when a few hundred people are admitted to ICU.

If the healthcare system is at risk of collapse based on such numbers, maybe the people running the system have some explaining to do. Talk about a group of people clearly in over their heads.
I know this is in Canada, but the health care system in the US is becoming more like Canada's every day, and the challenges with Covid are virtually the same.
Pop Zeus

$4.5 TRILLION in COVID relief-
Money for fucking everyone.
Basically fucking hush money for the lockdowns.

When instead they could have invested in hospital capacity and protecting the senior population.

The goal, from day 1, was to get Americans to submit to vaccine passports.

Bill Gates talked about them on Reddit on March 18, 2020.
What's that? 3 days after things shutdown in Michigan?
The question of which businesses should keep going is tricky. Certainly food supply and the health system. We still need water, electricity and the internet. Supply chains for critical things need to be maintained. Countries are still figuring out what to keep running.

Eventually we will have some digital certificates to show who has recovered or been tested recently or when we have a vaccine who has received it.
There's an agenda here.
Enforced by censorship.

Are you seeing what's going on in Quebec?

How stupid do you have to be to have an outdoor curfew?
Who would support this?

Why are people knowingly supporting things that don't make sense?
winged wheel

Dr. Malone called it mass formation psychosis.
El Jefe

winged wheel wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 12:37 pm Dr. Malone called it mass formation psychosis.
I don't think there's any question there is a psychosis associated with this pandemic. There is also a psychosis of fear. For proof, observe the number of people going around outside with no one around them, riding their bike or running on a country lane, and the folks driving around by themselves in their car with their windows up, with masks on. Those folks are vaccinated, too. And they push the idea that to get rid of the virus, we all have to be vaccinated. The logical underpinning of their position is that the vaccine prevents the virus, that's why we all have to have it. So using their logic, if they're vaccinated, why are they wearing masks? The vax promoters have a lot of cognitive dissonance going on.