GDT: Game 23. Seattle at Detroit, 7:30, Dec. 1

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
_sg_

Re: GDT: Game 23. Seattle at Detroit, 7:30, Dec. 1

Post by _sg_ »

EuroMan wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:05 pm So many doctors on this board all of a sudden.
New here?

Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

El Jefe wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:14 am
Wizard of Corsica wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 1:02 am It is just incredible how lucky Lukas Raymond is.
Luck is where preparation and talent meet opportunity.
I was kidding for the record. He is very talented and very opportunistic.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

lilja4mvp wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:40 pm beware ThE rEaL AgEndA....

ImageImageImage

Did you download your app yet?
The App that Bill Gates talked about as early as March 20.
The app that apparently everyone needs - despite the fact that COVID is nowhere near as bad as originally feared.
Despite the fact that vaccines don't stop spread.
Despite the fact that COVID is pretty is no worse than a severe flu if you're 40 or under.

So here's the deal. If you're old, or at risk, get your shot.
Otherwise,who the fuck cares?

I got my vaccination. I wasn't sold on my need for it - but I bought into the idea of doing my part to end the pandemic.
Fuck all that did.
I now know more vaccinated people who had COVID than unvaccinated, I think (could be recency bias here).
But lately, we're losing vaxxed guys from our hockey league on a regular basis.
Far more than we saw before the vax came out.
dcz28

Post by dcz28 »

I get why they wanted the majority of people to get the vax. Too many people needing to be hospitalized for it was putting too much strain on hospitals and healthcare systems. Not only for people with Covid but for people that needed surgeries and other stuff not related to covid that were being delayed because of the strain on the system. Now with the % of people that have the vax is high enough not to completely overload the health system and hospitals, things should have calmed down a bit.

I get keeping masks, distancing and hand sanitizing as a regular practice for now in crowds but not allowing people that don't have the vax to do stuff is stupid. They are only risking themselves by going out into crowds without a vax. Having the vax or not doesn't stop anyone from getting it or spreading it (i think even having the vax might make it more likely to spread since the symptoms will likely be milder so people might just think they have a normal cold and be fine to go out in public). If unvaxed people are willing to take the risk to go out to public places, it should be their right. You don't see police stopping people from going skydiving because their is a chance their parachute might not open. Then why stop them from going to a restaurant, to a concert, to a hockey game ect...

Unless they come out with a vax that stops people from getting or spreading it, this is not going away anytime soon. New variants will continue to pop up and cases will continue to spread everywhere. I highly doubt big pharma companies are working on a vax that will stop the contraction or spread of covid. That would end their gravy train of vax and booster shots from coming in. I'm sure they like things the way they are now with a lot of money to make for the foreseeable future. Testing right now is still the best way to stop or at least limit spreads. The vax doesn't do that at all really.
_sg_

Post by _sg_ »

dcz28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:31 pm I get why they wanted the majority of people to get the vax. Too many people needing to be hospitalized for it was putting too much strain on hospitals and healthcare systems. Not only for people with Covid but for people that needed surgeries and other stuff not related to covid that were being delayed because of the strain on the system. Now with the % of people that have the vax is high enough not to completely overload the health system and hospitals, things should have calmed down a bit.

I get keeping masks, distancing and hand sanitizing as a regular practice for now in crowds but not allowing people that don't have the vax to do stuff is stupid. They are only risking themselves by going out into crowds without a vax. Having the vax or not doesn't stop anyone from getting it or spreading it (i think even having the vax might make it more likely to spread since the symptoms will likely be milder so people might just think they have a normal cold and be fine to go out in public). If unvaxed people are willing to take the risk to go out to public places, it should be their right. You don't see police stopping people from going skydiving because their is a chance their parachute might not open. Then why stop them from going to a restaurant, to a concert, to a hockey game ect...

Unless they come out with a vax that stops people from getting or spreading it, this is not going away anytime soon. New variants will continue to pop up and cases will continue to spread everywhere. I highly doubt big pharma companies are working on a vax that will stop the contraction or spread of covid. That would end their gravy train of vax and booster shots from coming in. I'm sure they like things the way they are now with a lot of money to make for the foreseeable future. Testing right now is still the best way to stop or at least limit spreads. The vax doesn't do that at all really.
Eh? being vaccinated definitely reduces your chance of infection. It's not 100% effective and the effectiveness diminishes over time, which is part of why I think we're seeing all the cases now.

There's no control group for this pandemic, but I'm pretty sure the vaccine has done a ton to get things opened up the the point they are now. Obviously not a fan of the draconian action shown in those youtube videos, but I think we're otherwise at an *ok* operating point -- strong encouragement to get vax'd in return for a decent amount of normalcy. As with everything these days, this seems kind of like a compromise achieved via averaging two very extreme groups rather than everyone actively compromising, but that's another thing.
Pop Zeus

Post by Pop Zeus »

_sg_ wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 9:56 am
dcz28 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 1:31 pm I get why they wanted the majority of people to get the vax. Too many people needing to be hospitalized for it was putting too much strain on hospitals and healthcare systems. Not only for people with Covid but for people that needed surgeries and other stuff not related to covid that were being delayed because of the strain on the system. Now with the % of people that have the vax is high enough not to completely overload the health system and hospitals, things should have calmed down a bit.

Eh? being vaccinated definitely reduces your chance of infection. It's not 100% effective and the effectiveness diminishes over time, which is part of why I think we're seeing all the cases now.

There's no control group for this pandemic, but I'm pretty sure the vaccine has done a ton to get things opened up the the point they are now. Obviously not a fan of the draconian action shown in those youtube videos, but I think we're otherwise at an *ok* operating point -- strong encouragement to get vax'd in return for a decent amount of normalcy. As with everything these days, this seems kind of like a compromise achieved via averaging two very extreme groups rather than everyone actively compromising, but that's another thing.
Present the data-based assessments in clear, simple terms.
Don't lie. Don't pretend that that the vaxved can't get COVID, can't die from COVID, or can't spread.
But talk about the risk levels.
Also - don't lie about the risks associated with vaccines.
And, most importantly, don't resort to authoritarian, China-style tactics to fight COVID. Don't censor. Don't throw people out of work.

When you act like the gestapo, to say you undermine public trust is an understatement.