GDT: Game 2. Vancouver @ Detroit. 7 p.m.

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
winged wheel

Re: GDT: Game 2. Vancouver @ Detroit. 7 p.m.

Post by winged wheel »

Bert and Fabbri giving Chiasson shit because they spelled his name wrong on his jersey (presumably that's what they were saying).

DocBrown

Post by DocBrown »

Raymond in background, 'shut the f*** up.' Neither Raymond or Seider are wallflower rookies.
1.21 gigawatts! 1.21 gigawatts. Great Scott!
Chuckitso

Post by Chuckitso »

Good, spirited win. Badly outplayed, which is distressing. Did not get a ton from the bottom six, and the fourth line is virtually unplayable. Would like to get a little more speed there - so the obvious choice is Veleno for Rowney, though Rowney is a better skater than Smith, who honestly seems like he can’t keep up with play, though I respect what he brings.

We are too passive on the PK (for the millionth year in a row). Guys even seem hesitant to pounce on jumbled pucks, etc. not sure what the strategy is there, but we really have trouble killing zone time, and I think it’s because our wingers give the point men lots of room, both at 5-5 and 5-4.
winged wheel

Post by winged wheel »

Chuckitso wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:52 pm Good, spirited win. Badly outplayed, which is distressing. Did not get a ton from the bottom six, and the fourth line is virtually unplayable. Would like to get a little more speed there - so the obvious choice is Veleno for Rowney, though Rowney is a better skater than Smith, who honestly seems like he can’t keep up with play, though I respect what he brings.

We are too passive on the PK (for the millionth year in a row). Guys even seem hesitant to pounce on jumbled pucks, etc. not sure what the strategy is there, but we really have trouble killing zone time, and I think it’s because our wingers give the point men lots of room, both at 5-5 and 5-4.
Welcome to the forum, Chuckitso!
Wizard of Corsica

Post by Wizard of Corsica »

DocBrown wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 9:40 am Garland stuck his ass out to protect the puck. Happens all the time. Didn't think that was a penalty.
In the 80s that was the textbook way to handle the situation, but you can't ignore the puck quite so blatantly any more. Zadina got what he deserved for being oblivious, but it was a penalty as well.
Chuckitso

Post by Chuckitso »

Thanks!

Agreed - the Garland rule 48 penalty was really just an interference penalty.
Zattaman

Post by Zattaman »

Chuckitso wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 12:52 pm Good, spirited win. Badly outplayed, which is distressing. Did not get a ton from the bottom six, and the fourth line is virtually unplayable. Would like to get a little more speed there - so the obvious choice is Veleno for Rowney, though Rowney is a better skater than Smith, who honestly seems like he can’t keep up with play, though I respect what he brings.

Speed on the 4th line is definitely an issue. They seem to be putting pressure, but not generating hits.

Veleno would help, although I'd hate for him to play 10 minutes a night on the 4th/PK lines.

I'm partial to Witkowski, whose hits per 60 minutes is always high. But, Wit playing would make Smith redundant. It probably doesn't matter for now. If Larkin is healthy and back, Gagner will get moved back to the 4th line.
Chuckitso

Post by Chuckitso »

Look at CBJ’a fourth line - speed and puck possession. I have a feeling we are going to lose that matchup.
Actually, I can’t think of any fourth line that ours stands a chance of making a difference against. Maybe Stephens will prove me wrong.