2024 Memorial Cup

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
kmac

Hey, I guess I just haven't been paying attention, but I just saw that the Memorial Cup is going to be held in Saginaw this year. I was wondering if anybody had plans to attend. I will be in the area, but likely too busy to attend any games. I grew up in the Bay Region, and its cool to see a significant event being hosted there. I think there used to be a couple of other posters on this board that were from the area, but I'm not sure if they are still around. Man, what memories, I remember when the Dow Event Center was the old Saginaw Civic Center. My first experience with pro hockey was watching the old Saginaw Gears play there. One of my childhood friends had a dad who loved hockey, and he would load a bunch of us kids up and take us to the games there. I remember thinking Marcel Comeau was the greatest hockey player ever :lol: , and the Gears were a top IHL team when I was in junior high, I remember a couple of runs at the Turner Cup. It was the weirdest thing ever when the Gears left town, and their most hated rival, the Flint Generals actually made the move up I75 to become the new Saginaw Generals. Anyway, I am done reminiscing, I just was wondering if anybody was going to be around Sag-nasty for the tournament. We can go back to the normal Yzerman bashing and Wings-loathing now. :lol: :lol: :lol:

CoconutBackwards

Wow, I had no idea the Memorial Cup was being held in Saginaw.

I lived in Grand Blanc for a few years a decade ago and made it to some Flint Firebirds games, but I never made it all the way to Saginaw.

Is there a projected Generational Talent I'm unaware of scheduled to play at any of these games? I wonder if these tickets will be hard to get?
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
kmac

Well, if Portland wins the WHL, future All Star and Red Wing captain Nate Danielson will be playing.!! :lol: I guess I don't remember the Memorial Cup ever being held in an American city before, so it seems kind of odd. I know I read somewhere that the Saginaw Spirit have a pretty solid core of fans and average almost 4,000 a game in a 5500 seat arena, but I think a junior tournament held over Memorial Day weekend isn't going to be an attractive draw except for the most die hard fans. If the London Knights make the tourney, they might have a pretty good contingent since it's fairly close proximity. I really have no idea how the ticket availability will shake out, I hope it doesn't end up being a bust. I'll leave it to the guys on here that follow junior hockey way closer than I do to predict attendance figures....
DelHowLich

Danielson has another strong night, 1 G 3 A, which brings him to 1G 9A over the last 3 games.