Tampa Bay vs. Detroit

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
holytoledo

Tampa Bay has been in the playoffs 8 years in a row and is just 3 years removed from back to back Stanley Cups.

They played 11 players 25 or younger this year.
They played 8 players 30 or over.
They played zero players over 35.
They had 5 players make their NHL debut this year.
In the last 5 years they have made 2 first round picks and 3 second rounders.

Detroit has missed the playoffs the last 8 years.

They played 8 players 25 or younger this year.
They played 10 players 30 or older.
They played 3 players over 35.
They had zero players make their NHL debut this year.
They have had 7 first round picks and 12 second rounders.

What the fuck is going on here? How does Steve Yzerman still have a job? His tenure has been an abysmal failure. General consensus of this board would have a better draft record.

Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi, Filip Hronek, Gustav Nyquist & Luke Glendening from the Holland regime are all in the playoffs. 0 of the return for any of them played for the Wings this year. The only player to play for the Wings from all of that so far was Jakub Vrana.

Fil Zaronek

holytoledo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm Tampa Bay has been in the playoffs 8 years in a row and is just 3 years removed from back to back Stanley Cups.

What the fuck is going on here? How does Steve Yzerman still have a job? His tenure has been an abysmal failure. General consensus of this board would have a better draft record.

Anthony Mantha, Tyler Bertuzzi, Filip Hronek, Gustav Nyquist & Luke Glendening from the Holland regime are all in the playoffs. 0 of the return for any of them played for the Wings this year. The only player to play for the Wings from all of that so far was Jakub Vrana.
I think we used the pick we got for Bert to get Debrincat.
I'm starting to think that Yzerman's success in Tampa was due to tax advantage in Florida. Considering we have the cap for the sake of parity, it is unfair that some teams have a distinct advantage because of it.
holytoledo

Fil Zaronek wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 9:02 pm
holytoledo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:22 pm Tampa Bay has been in the playoffs 8 years in a row and is just 3 years removed from back to back Stanley Cups.

I think we used the pick we got for Bert to get Debrincat.
I'm starting to think that Yzerman's success in Tampa was due to tax advantage in Florida. Considering we have the cap for the sake of parity, it is unfair that some teams have a distinct advantage because of it.
Yeah, you’re right on the pick.

Tampa Bay isn’t the only team better than us.

I think every team in the playoffs except maybe Vegas had more games played by first and second year players than the Wings.
Pop Zeus

Yzerman got a HUGE headstart in Tampa with Stamkos and Hedman.
He was bold. He traded away big names. He traded big names.
He made great picks in Kucherov, Vasilvesky, Palat, Point, etc.
But he never won.
So....
Two Hall of Famer head start.
Didn't win.
They won when he left.

Tampa... man, I think I keep Stamkos.
2x$7
3x6
4x5 something like so.

He can try his luck somewhere else I guess.
CoconutBackwards

It's pretty brutal when it's laid out like this.

Why the hell would the Wings not have a single player make their NHL debut in a year they didn't make the playoffs?

That makes zero sense.

P.S. It was good to hear Mantha was benched last night.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
DelHowLich

With Tampa in cap hell and no good draft picks this year, I wonder if the Wings could trade them Copp (1/2 salary), Berggren and a 3rd for Cerelli? That would help to sign Stammer, Copp could be the 3 C, Stammer back at C on the 2nd line, Berggren a cheap goal scorer and Cerelli the long needed 2C for the Wings.
holytoledo

DelHowLich wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:28 pm With Tampa in cap hell and no good draft picks this year, I wonder if the Wings could trade them Copp (1/2 salary), Berggren and a 3rd for Cerelli? That would help to sign Stammer, Copp could be the 3 C, Stammer back at C on the 2nd line, Berggren a cheap goal scorer and Cerelli the long needed 2C for the Wings.
Based on the last couple of years, I don’t think there’s a solid case for Cerelli as an upgrade over JT Compher. I’m open to moving Copp, but would rather see Danielson or Kasper force Compher down the lineup than bring in another guy comparable to Compher and give up a player a pick and cap space to do it.
Pop Zeus

To give Yzerman credit, Kasper and Danielson don't have to force Copp and Compher out of the lineup. They can move them to the wing.
Neither Compher or Copp have been fulltime centers in the league.
holytoledo

Pop Zeus wrote: Sat May 04, 2024 1:12 pm To give Yzerman credit, Kasper and Danielson don't have to force Copp and Compher out of the lineup. They can move them to the wing.
Neither Compher or Copp have been fulltime centers in the league.
I think Kasper probably starts his NHL career on the wing anyway and might just end up staying there.