How Red Wings would have done in these Playoffs?

A place for general talk about the Red Wings, the NHL, hockey and prospects.
EuroMan

Now we know! Washington, the team that we needed to beat only once in the final stretch and couldn't, is the first team out being swept. I'm almost thinking it's probably good that the Wings didn't make the Playoffs. More fire under everyone's butts ( including Yzerman's ) and a higher pick in this draft.

holytoledo

EuroMan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm Now we know! Washington, the team that we needed to beat only once in the final stretch and couldn't, is the first team out being swept. I'm almost thinking it's probably good that the Wings didn't make the Playoffs. More fire under everyone's butts ( including Yzerman's ) and a higher pick in this draft.
Imagine how much better it would be if we had moved Kane, Perron & Gost instead of holding out hope that we could get swept in the first round. The Caps sold and injected youth into their lineup and got in anyway.
EuroMan

holytoledo wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:54 pm
EuroMan wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:05 pm Now we know! Washington, the team that we needed to beat only once in the final stretch and couldn't, is the first team out being swept. I'm almost thinking it's probably good that the Wings didn't make the Playoffs. More fire under everyone's butts ( including Yzerman's ) and a higher pick in this draft.
Imagine how much better it would be if we had moved Kane, Perron & Gost instead of holding out hope that we could get swept in the first round. The Caps sold and injected youth into their lineup and got in anyway.
Damn. Now that you put it this way it hurts even more, but I agree. I mean there should have been a sense of weather or not Kane was planning on staying
Wizard of Corsica

What would they have gotten back for Gost and Perron, 2 deeply flawed if not crappy UFAs?

A team only needs so many bags of pucks.

They might have got some return for Kane, but it was probably as good experience to have him around. Also it would have been hard to trade him during the time he was hurt. Probably had an understanding with Yzerman as well.

As to the original question, they would have gotten crushed, but it would have been a good experience for the kids. Oh well.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Pop Zeus

Wizard of Corsica wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 7:11 am
What would they have gotten back for Gost and Perron, 2 deeply flawed if not crappy UFAs?

They might have got some return for Kane, but it was probably as good experience to have him around. Also it would have been hard to trade him during the time he was hurt. Probably had an understanding with Yzerman as well.

As to the original question, they would have gotten crushed, but it would have been a good experience for the kids. Oh well.
The "experience for the kids argument" is silly. It happens when it happens.

Yzerman pulled out of the rebuild.

The Wings played into the mushy middle.

When Detroit takes 2 steps back next season, it's gonna get ugly.
CoconutBackwards

Also, what kids? As someone (maybe you) pointed out in another thread, not a single Red Wings prospect played their first NHL game this year.
Throughout history, every old man said the same thing about the younger generation. And old men die, and the world keeps spinnin'.
-Barbrady
Wizard of Corsica

Pop Zeus wrote: Fri May 03, 2024 10:49 am

The "experience for the kids argument" is silly. It happens when it happens.

Yzerman pulled out of the rebuild.

The Wings played into the mushy middle.

When Detroit takes 2 steps back next season, it's gonna get ugly.
Trading Kane would not have changed a thing about how next season is going to go, unless you think they would have got an impact player back for him. Which they would not have.

Believe what you want about having winners in the locker room, or the value of throwing seasons away in hopes you will get to draft the next McDavid one of these years.

Hit on a couple picks outside the first round and you don't have to think about that low rent tanking shit. Ask Buffalo about how that goes. Oh, they have so much amazing talent.
It was my understanding there would be no math in the debates.
Machine

They would’ve lost
I’m just hoping that the kids will play, let the standings and playoffs sort themselves out next season
holytoledo

That’s a viewpoint and I think it’s got validity. The area where Stevie has done best as a GM here is trades. I think between Kane, Gost & Perron we’d be looking at a total of a 1st, 2nd & 3rd coming back plus some crumbs that might turn into something.

The experience argument cuts both ways though. Move Gost and Johansson, who has not played a single game in the NHL and isn’t waiver eligible, get 20ish games here. Kasper, Mazur & Soderblom all get an extended look. That’s part of the return and if we’re gonna build a sustainable winner, out with the old, in with the new, has to be part of the philosophy.

I’m also not convinced we don’t make the playoffs if Gost & Perron are gone. Gost was great on the PP, but the drop off from him to Seider isn’t huge and he’s a defensive liability. Perron was great down the stretch but maybe a younger, faster more energetic player trying to make a case for himself helps us win one game against the old and slow Caps more than Perron.

Maybe Mazur helps more than a Fischer or Sprong too.

I think there’s something to be said for trying to get in with the guys are gonna be here vs. trying to get in with a bunch of spare parts that will be moving on.
DocBrown

Such poor roster management. Sign a bunch of support/journeyman types to chase a final playoff spot (which will go nowhere) and now you have a backlog of kids you drafted to push to the parent club all at once or in the span of a couple years. Playoffs to give kids a chance to experience the highest level of competition? What kids? This is a veteran, expansion type team that failed the Seattle depth experiment and retarded Edvinsson's development. He's got it drilled through his head to reduce risk, don't make mistakes.....or else! But, that's what kids do....they fuck up. Let them. Dumb roster management, dumb coaching. Now the team takes a step back the next couple years.
The woke mind virus consists of creating very divisive identity politics, amplifies racism, amplifies sexism and all of the -isms while claiming to do the opposite. It actually divides people and makes them hate each other and hate themselves--Musk